new pit puppy worries

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
pob james
Newborn Bully

Re: new pit puppy worries

Postby pob james » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:22 pm

I can't say a lot,but train it good to STOP biting and in OB training. Don't ever live it with the little dog. they can get po'ed with each other. I have a York too. A well trained pit is the best. I have a 8 week old Bully pit. And I have had OB classes in the past and it helped me more then the Dogs. This pit pup is like the 7th one in my 40 years, I love them.
Sorry I can't help more..........P.O.B James

MikeInTacoma

Postby MikeInTacoma » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:23 pm

Hi Lanette1973,

Mostly we don't care too much about propper speling, so don't let that bothur u. ;)

You raise good questions. The answers are complex, and I can't go into detail here in the Introductions forum, which is only here for people to make introductions. You'll be wanting the Training and Behavior forum, I think.

But you won't be able to post in Training & Behavior until we give you general posting privileges; so first, we need a little more introduction, please. Can you tell us a little more about your background and your goals for your dog?
This sample introduction might help: viewtopic.php?t=64327
:thumbsup:

Please do keep in mind that, though the folks posting here collectively have considerable experience with dogs generally and Pit Bulls specifically, we're mostly not experts; and the Internet is no substitute for an in-person evaluation by a qualified professional. Folks here may post a lot of free advice. Some of it is priceless; and some of it is worthless. You'll have to decide for yourself which is which.

Having said all that -- your puppy is an individual dog, not a media ratings-driven breed stereotype. Good training and early socialization is not a guarantee, but it can do a lot to prevent or reduce problems later on. The nipping and such is relatively normal behavior among dogs; but when he gets older and larger, it will be unacceptable in the human environment. You'll want to have a look at this thread on puppy mouthiness and acquired bite inhibition: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16101

Meanwhile -- more introduction, please? :)

MikeInTacoma

Postby MikeInTacoma » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:37 am

Well, you'll still get conflicting opinions here.

For the most part, you shouldn't expect your dog to maul your children. That's extremely rare; and if you're smart you'll take the steps necessary to make sure it's even more unlikely -- like getting proper vet care (including neutering, unless he's a showdog), making sure the kids interact appropriately with the dogs, not leaving any of them unsupervised with any of the dogs, not leaving him out in the yard 24/7, making sure he gets enough exercise, training the dogs mostly with positive reinforcements rather than punishments, learning to read canine body language, etc. etc. etc.

If you take an active role in your dogs' ongoing socialization, I believe you will improve the chances of them living harmoniously together. However, you should be aware from the beginning that there is some chance that, later on, they may not get along, perhaps even to the point where they must live essentially apart in a "crate and rotate" situation.

This can happen with any breed of dog; and though opinion is divided, there may be a bigger chance of it happening with a Pit Bull. How much bigger? I don't think anyone really knows; but it's probably not as big a chance as most folks think. Anyway... I'd suggest you read up on puppy development and socialization. Dr. Ian Dunbar has done lots of good research in this area, and has several books and DVDs available. Depending on where you live, someone may be able to suggest a good puppy play group, where he can burn off some of his considerable energy while also continuing to learn good doggy manners.

Thank you for taking your dogs' welfare seriously. Coming here is just the first step; but soooo many dog owners don't even do that until too late...

:modwelcomeonly1:

Return to “Introductions”