New APBT Owner

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

New APBT Owner

Postby pauld » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:38 pm

Hey,

My name is Paul and my Family and I just adopted a 4 month old female pit bull from a rescue here in the Nashville area. This are 1st APBT but we have had 2 American Bulldogs before and are familiar with Bully Breeds

I look forward to picking up some tips on making this puppy and well behaved member of the family
pauld
Newborn Bully

Re: New APBT Owner

Postby tia_leigha » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Welcome! You will really like it here. I've been a member since at least '07 and this community is incredible. We love pix!
tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby pauld » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:17 pm

As a new member to the forum at what point would I be able to post a question concerning some behavior issues with my rescue pup? Thanks
pauld
Newborn Bully

Postby Nickdawg » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:42 pm

welcome- it may take a day or two to get approved as the mods are all volunteers - you could post it in your intro for now and some may respond or do a search in training section for now.

I love bads rap's stuff http://www.badrap.org/training-resources" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Curly_07 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:38 pm

Welcome! Thanks for adopting!!! I think you will like it here. Do you have any pics of your new addition? :)

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby Leslie H » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:23 pm

Could you please tell us a little more about yourself, so you can be given access? There's a sample intro sticky in this forum.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby pauld » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:08 am

Thanks Leslie,

Let me give some more details

Again my name is Paul. I have a wife and 4 small kids 5,5,7 & 7. We have a house on a couple of acres a few miles outside Nashville. We also own a small Mortgage Company in the area.

Over the last 12 years we had 2 American Bulldogs a 110lb male and 75lb female who could have doubled for a APBT. We just lost our female at almost 11 years old to cancer. We decided we would try to rescue a Pit Bull Puppy if we could. We were not comfortable bringing an adult dog(any breed) into our house with 4 crazy kids running around hugging, squeezing...a new dog. We like the pits because they seem to be easy going and tolerant of children while providing protection for the house. We also loved our American Bulldogs and like that they are related breeds.

I have actually taught basic obedience to a dozen our so dogs years back as a 2nd job after taking a few classes and assisting the instructer in another.

We recently adopted a 4 month old pit bull female on a trial basis. She seems to have an outgoing personality but is very mouthy and also seems very willing to test us anyway she can. We have been making some progress over the week with crate training but she is still biting way to much and too hard at this point. We have seen some improvement in this area but she need alot of work.

I am also a bit concerned about her growling when she gets a pressed pigskin bone. She has been fine with food and all her other toys though. She also grabs evrything she can get her mouth on and runs over the kids alot. I'm guessing getting her at 4 months with limited interaction is to blame for most of the above.

I look forward to sharing some tips with others who have rescued older pups.
pauld
Newborn Bully

Postby spammie » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:37 pm

:modwelcomeonly2:
spammie
Regulator

Return to Introductions