Needing help

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Needing help

Postby 21440826 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:23 am

Hello,

I am the prowd owner of 3 blue pits. One is a 2 yr old blue male who broke out in small hives, like mosquito bites under the skin that made the hair follicle petrude and look bumpy all over his back and sides only. I figured he was responding the the seasonal pollen, johnson grass etc. (began in april). I then noticed the hair where he bumps were present falling out beginning on his back. He has no hair loss on his ears or face. Vet prescribed cephalexin which didn't work-made the bumps go away and yeast/staph clear, but he still continued to have the hairloss spots. So...the vet put him on another round of cephalexin which lasted through August. He then put him on prednisone steriod to fix the itching, but it's now November and he's on his second round of steroid and no progress. The steroid I feel is just making him comfortable and not curing the underlying issue. I feel like it's demodex, but the vet doesn't think so. He is currently getting fish oil & probiotics, and I changed his food to lamb and rice. What's your opinion?
Newborn Bully

Re: Needing help

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:47 am

Did the vet do a scraping? Or did s/he just say it's not mange? I think I'd go to another vet for a second opinion. If the second vet said it was mange-I'd make a stink at the first vet and try to see if you can get them to pay for some of the costs...either what they charged-for the drugs that did nothing, or your costs at the second vet-since it's because of the original vet's diagnosis (or lack of) that you had to get a second opinion.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Curly_07 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:04 pm

This could also be caused by allergies in food. Curly had the same symptoms, and after trial and error I found that she was allergic to Chicken, corn, and Febreeze. She also has small bits of dryness from beef. There are many allergy threads in Health on this if you'd like to check them out.

Also, can you tell us about yourself? The mods will want more of an intro to approve you to the rest of the board.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby spammie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:38 pm

I'd sure get a second opinion. Can you tell us about yourself?
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=64327
spammie
Regulator

Return to Introductions