I have a lot to learn

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

I have a lot to learn

Postby rhodaj » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:37 pm

I am a 54 year old married woman who lives in Saskatchewan, Canada. To my shame, I believed all the garbage about pit bulls that I read in the newspapers. Two things have changed my opinion: a tractor pulling demonstration of a female and a male pitbull. They were amazing, they were joyful, strong, well behaved, crowd pleasers, and loved their handlers. The other situation developed over the past couple of years. I often go to "adopt a dog" days for small dog rescue. A nursing home provides a huge room for this meet and greet. There are lots of small dogs, but always a pit bull or two. At first I was nervous to go up to the pit bull, but noticed that small children could go up an pet her, and also, she was unfazed when wheelchair bound residents approached her. Each time I went to the "adopt a dog" days, I paid attention to the pit bulls and noted how gentle they are, with frail elderly people and young children, oh, and I am not nervous to go up to them!

At these events, I met a woman who is tireless in her work to change the unfair attitudes towards bully dogs, and to stop byb's, to change breed specific laws and to find foster homes for rescued dogs. We are becoming friends, and she is very knowledgeable.

My history of dog companions is: a fantastic male husky/malimute who lived to 14, a black lab angel who died at 13, she was incredible with my children, a collie/shepherd cross, Ally, who we rescued in 1998, she is deaf and thin and arthritic now, but she still loves life, and my beloved Max, a rescued doberman/shepherd cross who died last year after sharing our home for 10 years. He was returned to the SPCA 3 times, and was on the list to be euthanized. It took him over a year to believe that he was here forever, and he helped me when I was very ill, he needed so much love and patience. My constant companion, I miss him terribly. Sometimes I wake up at night and I could swear he is with me. I felt that way about Ebony for years after she died.

And I have a 15 year old orange tabby cat, who has kept the dogs in line.

I have a disability, and am not looking to adopt, but I am able to volunteer my time. I have carefully chosen how I want to use my limited energy, and want to learn as much as I can about bully breeds so that I might assist in changing the public image of these breeds.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

When I figure out how to post a picture, I will submit one of Max, and Ally. (I read the instructions, but am computor illiterate, will have my son help me later)
rhodaj
Newborn Bully

Re: I have a lot to learn

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:24 pm

Welcome!!! What a fantastic story you have. I live in Ontario where my dog is restricted, and where I will never have the opportunity to own another like her as long as this ban exists.

I sincerely hope that you are successful in changing many minds!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Novy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:38 pm

It's good to see another flatlader around here. What rescue are you working in conjunction with?

It's also good to see people actively working to change legislation and public perception. Society in general no longer tolerates discrimination based on race, gender, age, religion, sexual preference, ect. The fact that people still discriminate against dog breeds is very hypocritical.
Novy
Newborn Bully

Postby Leslie H » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:49 pm

:modwelcomeonly1:
Leslie H
Regulator

Return to Introductions