Intro and questions?!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Intro and questions?!

Postby Joselyn » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:18 am

Hello!
My pitbull Rufus rescued me the day I adopted him from the animal shelter roughly 5-6 years ago. I went there with my dad to pick out a dog for my dad.. Long story short, rufus never left my side since we got him home and now he lives with me in my own apartment.

He's the best dog I've ever had hes got so much personality it's like hes human. I don't know anything about his background the shelter found him abandoned tied to a fence in the city.
I'm not sure of his age. He was full grown when I got him maybe 3-4..So im thinking he could be 8-11 years old. Hard to tell his age I think hes half yellow lab hes all yellow with a white face so he doesn't show any gray hairs. Every vet I've asked to give me an idea of his age has told me different ages. Whoever had him before spent a lot of time with him. He sits, gives paw, lays down, rolls over. I can't imagine why they would abandon him. He barks when someone comes to the door but has never showed any signs of aggression.

Over the past 3 months I was pet sitting an adult yorkie until his owner could find an apartment closer to work that allowed dogs. She got the apartment. I missed the yorkie so much I went an adopted one of my own. Rufus is fine with little dogs. He will however bully bigger dogs. He'll knock them down push them around and let them know hes the boss. He's never harmed a bigger dog but I keep him away from bigger dogs in case he changes his mind. He loved the adult yorkie I was pet sitting they even slept together. He has no food aggression let the yorkie eat out of his bowl while he patiently waited for him to finish.

When I brought the baby yorkie home (this Christmas so the baby has only been here a little over a week) Rufus acts like he's scared to death of it. He runs upstairs and hides he wont come around us. He ignores me. When I let him out to do his business I have to beg him to come back in. He sleeps by the front door like he wants to move out. WHAT IS GOING ON?

I've been cruising the internet trying to get answers. I read I have to treat rufus like he's still the king of the castle. Feed him first, pet him first, give him treats first and not show so much attention to my new little puppy. I'm doing this and he's still ignoring me. I put the puppy in the crate and try to get some rufus time.. When I try to sit next to him he'll get up and go in another room. I also read that he will be fine with the baby for a couple of months but if he thinks the baby is taking over he may kill him. He has killed cats in the past so this makes me very nervous. He's also caught and killed many wild animals that cross the backyard.

I'm wondering if he will stop acting like this once he gets used to the puppy. Since i've brought the puppy home he hasnt even looked at him. He didn't sniff him or anything just ran off into another room. I do not want to put any stress on my old friend. He is still my one and only. I want my buddy back I need him to stop this. I take him for extra rides in the car he just sits by the window and ignores me. When usually he howls in the car (he gets so excited he howls when hes going for rides) When I take him with me places his tail is wagging and hes nice to whoevers house we're at he's his old happy self just not showing me any love whatsoever. He's not sick or anything he's just being stubborn. I've had many breeds in my life and I've never had a dog with so many feelings and emotions. To be honest I was terrified of the breed(neighbor had a pit that bit me every chance it got) and when I drove him home from the shelter I was literally shaking because I didn't bring a crate it was just me and this pitbull I knew nothing about alone in the car. He turned me into a loving caring pitbull owner. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on what I should do about this situation, If this doesn't stop I can give my new puppy to my dad he's looking for one for himself and doesn't live far from me. I would never adopt a dog I couldn't give my full attention to. I would be heartbroken If I had to give up my new pup but Rufus has been loyal to me for all these years and never let me down. So I do not want to let him down in his final years. I thought a puppy would be good for him he was so playful and happy with the one I was pet sitting. My friends bring their dogs over and hes always so happy to play and run around the backyard with them. Im just not sure why he hates my new puppy so much . any thoughts?!
Joselyn
Newborn Bully

Re: Intro and questions?!

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:26 am

Hi! and :welcome: It sounds like this might be a bit much for Rufus. How old is this new puppy? Are you leaving Rufus and the puppy alone when you're not able to supervise?

Perhaps you could play some "look at that" games with Rufus. Put the puppy in another room behind a baby gate, or a sliding glass door...maybe even just in a kennel in the living room and encourage Rufus to first look at the puppy-every time he does he is rewarded. Then if you think that's not too stressful, only reward when he investigates a little closer to the puppy?
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Joselyn » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:15 am

The new puppy is 10 weeks. Very tiny was the runt. 1.8 pounds. I do not leave them alone unsupervised whatsoever. I have baby gates up. The pup is crated anytime I have to leave and can't take him with me. When Rufus sits at the baby gate I will let him in the room hold the puppy and tell him to come over he'll come over get one look at the puppy and run off. He seems to be more annoyed than anything. When he tries to run off the puppy chases him bites at his paws, or If he's napping the puppy will jump on him and wake him up. He's not investigating at all. Which is odd to me. The past couple days i've been giving rufus a lot of attention the first day he wanted nothing to do with me. and now hes coming around again cuddling hanging out with me just no interest in being near the puppy. I did notice however when he's running off and the puppy is under his feet he's very careful not to step on him.
Joselyn
Newborn Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Sorry for the wait! Please be sure to read all of the stickies at the tops of each section before posting, as some of those may answer your above questions. You should def check out the Multi-dog threads, bringing a new dog home thread, and how to properly introduce a new dog thread...all can be found at the top area of the Training Section.

:modwelcomeonly1:
Curly_07
Regulator

Return to Introductions