Hello From Indiana

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Hello From Indiana

Postby loophole » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:00 pm

My name is Cliff from north central Indiana. I grew up with parents unfamiliar with most dogs other then labs. When I was out of the house and of age I found a sign that said Pitbull/Lab puppies for 50 bucks and had wanted a dog of my own for a little while. My (future) brother in law at the time (now my current brother in law) had a pit/lab and I thought he was a great dog with good temperament as well as looked awesome. I got the dog and didn't do a very good job, really had no clue what I was doing. I also didn't have room for the dog, at least that breed. I did take her on walks and after "thinking" that now she was a little over a year old she could be trainable (besides potty training). Maddie was her name and she did catch on quick. I started to learn a little and we had 2 kids along the way and moved to a much much better environment for us and the dog(s). Wife(we) have a doberman/terrier mix we believe also. Definitely some doberman in her though. She is a very easy to get along with dog. Relaxed and easily maintained. Very protective though as Maddie was too. I say was because when Maddie turned 5. Roughly a year and 2 months ago.. She became Ill and I took her to the vet.. a very horrible and terrible outcome later (I was with her, long story but awful and will never return an animal to that vet ever again).. she passed away. Maddie was a lover and a baby. She was like glue on me constantly. So it stung a good bit. I thought I'd never get another dog then 2 months later.. I decided against it and wanted another dog pretty bad.
There was no option to go other then pit mix or full blooded pit as I'd seen the passion and desire they can have for their owners and family. Their willingness to please is an amazing trait. We wanted to get a dog from a shelter to help out the pitbull community. I spent several weeks and long car drives to places in the state looking for the right pit for our family.(we have a 4 yr old and a nearly 1 yr old... a bit young I understand) I finally found a dog that looked to be about 5 months old and was told it was probably a full blooded pit. So hop in the van and take the dog and the family to visit the dog. It didn't go well enough for the owner.. and I concurred. After that my wife and I mutually decided that going to a breeder may be the best Idea with such young kids. We find a reputable breeder in Indianapolis and made the trip. He had 8 week old pits and we picked one up. Our pit is now 13 months old, of course a bit hyper but a great dog and a huge baby. His temperament is very good. We went to puppy training class (no not petco :) ) by a very reputable trainer who trained in other countries at some times as well. He listens to the kids when they say "no", "out", or "sit", and listens to my wife and I very well on commands he's learned. I'm planning to really start getting into training him more now (I know I coulda,shoulda started earlier). I will post a pic on here when I get a bit more time.. He's black, white chest/feet. white stripe right down the center of his eys to his nose. I'm hoping to train him well so he can be a dog that can go with me all places as I have a condition that would allow for this and would help me tremendously If I can manage the time and will to do it.(Tips or links on service dogs would be GREAT)
Other hobbies of mine are spending a lot of time with my kids and wife. Playing strategy/city building games/rts games on a pretty good pc rig (bit of a nerd)..Flying helicopters(not the walmart type)... more like the $1,000 types,(crashing can cost a couple hundred.. also enjoy working on them as they are really not a "toy" per say 8) ) Enjoy going golfing.. (live on a golf course.. great for the dogs to run at dusk)... I enjoy spending time by myself as well.. I'm also a little weird.. maybe a lot weird :hi :wow
Glad to join the forums, hope to learn a lot and be some help to others. Been around pitbulls for about 7 years.
loophole
Newborn Bully

Re: Hello From Indiana

Postby loophole » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:09 pm

Pic of Koda Stretched out.

loophole
Newborn Bully

Postby loophole » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:15 pm

What's the usual wait time for approval. I'm ready to get active :)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk HD
loophole
Newborn Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:26 pm

Welcome! Apologies for the wait! We are all volunteer Mods here and sometimes with life activities it will take us a day or 2. I should be on my computer tonight to do a sweep thru and approve new members if another mod hasn't already done so.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby loophole » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:24 pm

Curly_07 wrote:Welcome! Apologies for the wait! We are all volunteer Mods here and sometimes with life activities it will take us a day or 2. I should be on my computer tonight to do a sweep thru and approve new members if another mod hasn't already done so.

Thanks for the reply and no worries just sort of looking for an eta. I appreciate the response. While I'm hanging out i'm curious about weight for a pitbull. My 13 month pit weighs in at about 47 lbs right now. I figure he's pretty much done growing up on height and length but am assuming he will fill out a little more over the next year or 2. He definitely looks lighter then his weight! What can I expect... I was hoping he'd stay under 60 but I'm thinking he's probably gonna be between 60 and 70 when it's all said and done..
loophole
Newborn Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:46 pm

If he's over a yr, he will not get much bigger. He will only fill out at this point. I'd guess around 50-55 once fully matured.

Curly_07
Regulator

Postby loophole » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:04 pm

Thanks, be about perfect then (for my taste) :)
loophole
Newborn Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:45 am

:modwelcomeonly1:
Curly_07
Regulator

Return to Introductions