Need some advice in raising a pit bull puppy

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Need some advice in raising a pit bull puppy

Postby ettedo2000 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:13 am

Hello everyone,
Let me introduce myself. I live in the northeast corner of Tennessee in the Appalachian mountains. My husband and I have an 11 year old (rescued) Bull terrier that is stubborn and very “I” oriented and been our only dog for over 7 years.
About two weeks ago my husband found a 6 week old pit bull puppy dropped of at the dumpster behind a grocery store. She was scared, lonely and searching for shelter. My husband brought her home. It did not take long for me to fall in love with her and I really want to keep her. She is a sweet puppy, most of the time, but there are some problems. For one I never raised a puppy, I always had adult dogs. Also with her being a pit bull, I can already see a fierce behavior in her. Also my older dog does not like her. He is scared of her and every time she barks or whines, he is shaking or hiding in the closet. My husband is worried about the older dog and how he is affected by the pup. I am more worried about her using me as her favorite chewy toy and when I try to correct her behavior she thinks it is a game and gets more roweled up.
Basically, I need your help and wisdom in raising this puppy right and get my old dog used to her. She deserves a good home and love, and I want to give it to her. I hope you let me be a part of this Forum.
Thank you
ettedo2000
Newborn Bully

Re: Need some advice in raising a pit bull puppy

Postby randomroads » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:55 pm

If your dog feels terrorized by the fact that there's strange noises in the house caused by another animal then you need to seek a behaviorist and talk to your vet about calming solutions. One thing you can get is DAP from online and spray his bedding or buy the plugin version and put them around the house.
You need to think long and hard if the well being of your older dog is worth sacrificing for a puppy. It might be best to rehome her for his piece of mind in his old age.

As far as raising a puppy there are plenty of threads on this forum about mouthy pups, crate training pups, house breaking pups, and creating a happy home with pups.
randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby Hossnang95 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:07 pm

While we are waiting to be added to this group come join Smiling Pit Bulls on FB.... https://www.facebook.com/groups/134977446690595/
Hossnang95
Newborn Bully

Postby BabyReba » Thu May 02, 2013 9:02 pm

:modwelcomeonly2:
BabyReba
Regulator

Return to Introductions