A little about me and the pup

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

A little about me and the pup

Postby Avi » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:33 am

Hi everyone!
My names Liz, I live in CNY and I am a 19 year old work at home mom of two wonderful dogs.
One being a beautiful black and white Pit Bull(mix?) Named Lilith. The other being my trusty brindle and white Rat Terrier, Nala.
I have only began owning dogs since I was 14, I never really had the chance to grow up with dogs like most people. Through my short experience in dog owning I have had mostly Pit bulls and Rat Terriers. And when I say mostly I mean 2 rat terriers and their litter of 5 and 3 pit bulls.
Sadly most were rescues, except the rat terriers, and although bitter sweet it was for the best. In the past 4 or so months it has only been me and my girl Nala. I could tell she loved my company and attention but something wasn't right. She was used to being around 3 or 4 dogs.
I am in a hand full of 'pet for sale' groups on face book and there was a link to a craigslist add of 'Free female pitbull'.
Curious, I checked on the add and through reading it I noticed it said she had puppies 7 weeks ago. I contaed the seller and asked if they still have mom, they replied with a No, and then I proceeded to ask if they have any puppies left. They replied that yes but in the morning they were going to the shelter.
I received a picture of a little black girl with a write chest and said she would sell her to me for $100. After much talk later she eventually just gave me the puppy . This was a week and a half ago.
Poor baby was so thin and cold, tiny but happier then all to be held and kissed. In the short week I had her she has grown like a weed and I had de-wormed her and started her on the five way from TSC. Nala is thrilled to have a little sister around and enjoys play time and cuddles.
I decided to join the forum just for fun , and to make friends. We will be attending agility classes, obedience, weight pull and dock diving. Me and Nala go twice a week to nature trails to hike. I can't wait till Lilith gets big enough to come too.
The last photo is when she first came home on June 7th.
I hope to get to know you guys soon :)
Thanks!
Avi
Newborn Bully

Re: A little about me and the pup

Postby sueb » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:53 am

Cute pup!
At the risk of scaring you off, you might get some grief about getting your pup from a backyard breeder. Doing so only encourages them to breed more. If you can tough it out, you'll learn a lot and make some good friends here.
Welcome to the forum!
sueb
Addicted to PBF

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:55 am

Hi Liz! :welcome: Sue is right...people are going to be upset with how you obtained your newest addition...but....there are also a lot of people here who have done the same thing. You'll see.

What do you know about PBs in general? What will you do if the new pup doesn't get along with Nala in a couple years? Do you think it's all in how they're raised? Would you be willing to crate and rotate?

I only ask because these are commonly the things that new owners have the most trouble with. If their dog doesn't like another, they think something is wrong with their dog-or that they did something wrong as an owner. That's not always the case. It can be, but it isn't always what's going on.

I look forward to having you hear on the forum. I hope you're able to arm your self with useful information that makes you the best owner you can be!
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Avi » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:49 pm

Hi guys! Thank you for replying to my post P:
And I apologize for the lateness in my reply, my phone isn't too great and I just got my charger back for my computer.
Like I mentioned in the post, I have owned a few pit bull rescues. They weren't "legit" rescues, but I was about 17 at the time where people would bring me un-wanted, stray and just dumped dogs on me. I would get them as healthy as I could, then find homes for them. I didn't mind, I loved having their company and knowing that they are being well taken care of. My "adoption" contract made a lot of people's heads spin and they would walk away from my house never to contact me again, which is fine; because if they couldn't provide simple information to me, how could they provide for the dog? To this day everyone who adopted from me keeps in contact and sends pictures, it makes me feel kind of like a hero. "If I didn't step up and take this dog in, where would it be Now?" is what always ran through me head P:
One time I had a litter of babies just dropped at my door one night, I wouldn't have known this if Nala didn't bark her tail off. It about cleaned me clear of my funds (I sold art online, so what ever I made instantly went into the dogs) I kept 3 of the pit bulls that came here for a while, but decided it was time they had to go to new homes, as my life was not going too well at the moment.
Everything is fine now, I do work online again, which is fun! I love supporting my furkids.
But I am not going to say that I know everything about the breed, because I don't, but I do truly believe if they are raised right they are and will be okay. I have heard of "Crate and Rotate" but never really had to do it.
As far as people not supporting BYB I totally agree, and I know I wasn't right with supporting their nastiness I didn't really want to see her rot in the shelters we have around here. Not many people here are Pit friendly, also not a lot of people like black dogs here. Like I said in my post, I talked the lady into just giving me Lilith. The poor dog looked starved and abused, she had no shots, previous vetting nor did she have any de-worming done. She is just one less dog that would be in harms way if I didn't step in and do something!
So far she has almost hit the two week mark, just a few days ago I started taking her and Nala on walks with Nala on a coupler attached to Lilith's harnesses. It didn't take long for her to get used to the leash, because I feel that she felt that Nala was guiding her and pulling, forcing her to walk right, instead of me.
I made sure that her first shots and worming were started before I even considered taking her outside again. She is due for her second 5 way in a week.
She loves everyone and walks up to EVERYONE with a big ol' pittie smile and a happy tail. People are surprised by this, and have to ask twice "Thats a pit bull?" She is even teaching Nala to be fine with strangers, as Nala does not like other people besides me at all! Today was the first time I EVER saw Nala walk up to someone, next to Lilith, sniff; wagging her tail and would allow the person to pet her. Lilith has not even been here for a full 2 weeks yet and she has changed a lot of people's views as well as Nala's. Which in my eyes is great.
We still have a lot to work on though, she doesn't really like to listen and doesn't quite comprehend her name yet. Though she knows 'Sit' 'Down' and a fun one 'Spin' probably should have taught her her name first, but hey; I was happy to have a puppy here again in the house. ;)
Avi
Newborn Bully

Postby Nickdawg » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:00 pm

:hi welcome to the forum - you sound like a caring loving owner and helper of the breed. Do suggest you go read some of the links here which may be helpful:

http://www.badrap.org/node/96
http://www.badrap.org/node/97
http://www.badrap.org/keeping-peace
http://www.badrap.org/node/98
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby sueb » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:46 pm

How's that cute little pup of yours today?
sueb
Addicted to PBF

Postby Avi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:09 pm

Nickdawg wrote::hi welcome to the forum - you sound like a caring loving owner and helper of the breed. Do suggest you go read some of the links here which may be helpful:

http://www.badrap.org/node/96" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.badrap.org/node/97" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.badrap.org/keeping-peace" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.badrap.org/node/98" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks a bunch, I will have to read up on the pages. :) And I try really hard to be, it sometimes can be hard with the stigma attached to them..

sueb wrote:How's that cute little pup of yours today?

She is doing great! :D She is a little monster right now though, she recently just got a good feeling of the floors and is now zooming around the house with Nala. LOL! They are bickering over something though, I hear her barking and Nala "grr"-ing Nala probably has a bone and doesn't want to share, she is mean like that haha. I'll post some new pics here in a second.
Avi
Newborn Bully

Postby Avi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:26 pm

Are you talking to ME??

Looking cute!

Lilith's first walk with big sis Nala!
Avi
Newborn Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:48 am

:modwelcomeonly1: