New (to me) Dog

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

New (to me) Dog

Postby Burgi » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:58 am

Hello Everyone!
About a month and a half ago my husband and I took in our new dog "Boo." We've owned other dogs before but this is our first Pit. Our old dog (a Shiba mix, we adopted as a senior and was with us over 8 years) had recently passed. I met a young woman that was desperately searching for a home for a dog she had found hiding under a car. I'll admit we weren't looking for this breed but Boo is such a sweet girl none of us could stand the idea of her being put down.

We don't know if she was a run away or a throw away but we can tell she's had pups and wasn't chipped. The local shelters said she would be put down immediately due to her breed and age so we stepped in and brought her home.
She has been a wonderful match for our family, gentle and calm. She had obviously had some training and minds. We are taking her to obedience classes and she is doing well. She loves her walks but is just as happy to lay about. We work from home so she gets plenty of people of time but we want to make sure she is comfortable with dogs also.
Vet says she is about 5-6 years old. We got her spayed and up on her shots.

Her biggest issue is allergies. Poor dog is forever scratching and biting at herself, not so bad she breaks skin. Our Vet has tried all sorts of things; shots, sprays, baths but nothing seems to help. He doesn't think it is food related but we are trying a special diet now anyway to see if it helps. Hoping I can get some ideas on things we can do to help with this.
Anyway, here she is.
Burgi
Newborn Bully

Re: New (to me) Dog

Postby Curly_07 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:03 pm

Welcome! Please check out our numerous allergy and food related threads in the Health section while you are waiting for approval. This is a very common thing with the breed and many dogs. Many of us, myself included have posted things that help. LMW gives some great advice on diets in there too.

Also, thank you for taking her in and giving the breed a chance! You sound like a wonderful addition to the forum!

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy using Tapatalk 2
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby Nickdawg » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:23 pm

she is lovely - thank you thank you for taking her in :thumbsup:
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby haranka » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:40 am

she is cute! welcome to pbf 8)
haranka