New Here!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
gpwalker76
Newborn Bully

New Here!

Postby gpwalker76 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:18 am

Hello All!
I am new to this forum. I have been unable to find any local groups to join here in Sarasota Florida. About 6 months ago I took in a stray dog Marley. He looks like a American Bulldog Pit bull mix to me.The vet thinks he is around 2 years old. I'm not sure how to attach a picture or I would. Sorry this may be long.

I noticed he dog wandering around my neighborhood in the morning and not too much later noticed the animal control driving around. Later that night I went out with my other lab/pit mix and noticed he had escaped the clutches of our local kill shelter. He was in sad shape. Clearly, he had been on the streets for awhile. I felt bad for him he was very scared. So I lured him back to my house with food and put him in my backyard. At first, I was trying to find a no kill shelter however, there were no spots available and I fell in love with him.

We have had some problems and I need some advice. We have noticed several things over the past months He is fine with women and kids however has major issues with men and other dogs. He is of course has no social skills and recently was attacked by my other dog. They were fine for months and boom! Marley ran up behind him when the other dog, Cujo (I didn't name him he was also rescued) , was focused on something in the yard and he beat the crap out of him and they both ended up in the ER. Luckily, both dogs are okay.

Unfortunately, they are now separated. I have been trying to socialize him by walking him in our park, taking him to Home Depot, and having him hang out at the vets office. He really hasn't improved much yet I don't know what else I should be doing. My biggest concern is his issue with men. It is definitely fear and he has never bit anyone, but he is quote intimidating and scares people.

HELP!

Bullseye

Re: New Here!

Postby Bullseye » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:52 pm

Well this happens sometimes, you could try taking him to someone who is confident with dogs & male to gradually get him over his fear of men, as for the other dog aggression, I would just keep him seperate from the other dog, even if they appear to be getting ok with each other you can never be certain, if you are really worried about him biting someone get him a muzzle (for the time being) & train him to enjoy wearing it, yes it is possible ;)

I have 8 dogs varying in ages from 3 to 12 years of ages & some just won't get on with the others, so I use crate rotation..

Hope this helps.. :)

As for uploading pics, have you got flickr or photobucket?

:modwelcomeonly2:

patty

Re: New Here!

Postby patty » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:40 pm

Welcome to the forum!!!

Can you give us an update on Marley?

I agree with the previous post that some dogs just don't get along with other dogs or have fear/anxiety issues with people. I have had 3 dogs at one time, 2 got along together great but I could never let the 3 of them interact together. I used crate and rotate with them. If they are introduced to the crate properly it becomes their safe haven and they actually enjoy it.

Would love to see some pictures :)

Return to “Introductions”