New, nervous...

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
JAG
Newborn Bully

New, nervous...

Postby JAG » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:55 am

Hi there,

My name is Teagan, I'm 28 and I have 2 young kids (5 and 9), a Bengal cat and a small dog.
My husbands best friend has pit puppies and has offered to give us one, and they are so cute. I am, however nervous. I had a pitbull as a child, he was with us from the time I was 4 until I was about 12 before my grandpa sold him (and, shattered my world in the process) so the breed isn't necessarily 'new' to me; my parents have always had dogs and always taught us how to interact with them, how to raise them, and made sure we were present for any and all training that we wouldn't be a distraction to, and I know they can make fantastic family dogs because 'mine' would have never, ever hurt a person, especially HIS. An animal on the other hand, well- the ONLY frightening memory I have of "my" pitty was the time my younger sibling left the gate open, said pitty got out, and attacked the neighbors dog.
Being a high anxiety person, the thought of a potential family pet turning against my kids or our other pets TERRIFIES me. The rational, you've-had-one-before, the other-people-have-pits-and-cats-and-kids, says calm down and welcome that sweet puppy into your home so someone else doesn't swoop it up for fighting! (A recent problem here according to what I've heard.) So I guess, I'm here looking for others who can tell me to calm down, maybe post some comforting photos of their pits and pets and kids?

Bullseye

Re: New, nervous...

Postby Bullseye » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:51 pm

Yes absolutely calm down :cool:

If you want to get the puppy then by all means go for it, as long as the kids interact with the pup in a positive manner & are advised to do so, there shouldn't be a problem, never leave a child unattended with a dog whatever the breed.. very important, for me it's about protecting the dog as much as it is the other way around, yes APBTs can be a bit iffy around other animals, same goes for Staffs, but generally they are very human friendly, years of breeding for fighting is responsible for this, although I am in no way promoting dog fighting, I am however pointing out that it would have been wholly inpractical to have a dog turn on the handler, American Pit Bull Terriers do make great family dogs as I'm sure you are aware, they also do great in competitive dog sports such as agility, weight pull & bite work due to their willingness to learn, again same goes for Staffs... You will find all kinds of useful info on this forum & if you feel your question has not been answered, feel free to start a new topic in the respective section, best of luck with your new pup & hope to see some photos soon :)

~John~

:modwelcomeonly2:

JAG
Newborn Bully

Postby JAG » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:52 pm

Bullseye wrote:Yes absolutely calm down :cool:

If you want to get the puppy then by all means go for it, as long as the kids interact with the pup in a positive manner & are advised to do so, there shouldn't be a problem, never leave a child unattended with a dog whatever the breed.. very important, for me it's about protecting the dog as much as it is the other way around, yes APBTs can be a bit iffy around other animals, same goes for Staffs, but generally they are very human friendly, years of breeding for fighting is responsible for this, although I am in no way promoting dog fighting, I am however pointing out that it would have been wholly inpractical to have a dog turn on the handler, American Pit Bull Terriers do make great family dogs as I'm sure you are aware, they also do great in competitive dog sports such as agility, weight pull & bite work due to their willingness to learn, again same goes for Staffs... You will find all kinds of useful info on this forum & if you feel your question has not been answered, feel free to start a new topic in the respective section, best of luck with your new pup & hope to see some photos soon :)

~John~

:modwelcomeonly2:

Thanks, Bullseye! Just got the news that the little guy will be ready to come home tomorrow if we want him. As for leaving kids/dogs unattended, NEVER. Our other dog is a pug and I don't leave him alone with my kids and he's almost too lazy to open his mouth to eat, much less bite anyone; and they know to be gentle with animals of ANY kind, cats, birds, etc. Something my parents made sure of with us, and was passed on to mine. I'm hoping since he's entering our family as a baby that he will 'identify' them (our cat and other dog) as pack members growing up with them and all, nonetheless I'm sure I'll be proceeding with caution throughout their interactions every time. Maybe keeping him busy with dog sports will help ease his boredom and any potential aggression.

Bullseye

Postby Bullseye » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:22 pm

Yes absolutely, proceed with caution & as long as he is raised with the other dog & the cat there shouldn't be a problem, always keep an eye on general body language despite what people say APBTs do show body language, no matter how subtle, you seem you know what you are doing & it would be great to get regular updates on progress, where abouts are you based, I could help you find a dog club near you, I'm in the United Kingdom, but I know of a few organisations in USA, as I've sent collars & weight pull harnesses there :)

Glad you could join us.

~John~

JAG
Newborn Bully

Postby JAG » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:14 am

I'm from the U.S., Oklahoma to be specific! I think my least favorite part of this is going to be the potty training! My parents and grandparents method of doing so yielded results but it was cruel in my opinion so I won't be using theirs; don't get me wrong they were very loving and kind with our pets otherwise, I think it was just the only method they knew, and our pug came potty trained! Anyhow, thanks again for the welcome and I'm glad to be here. Hoping to post pictures sometime within the next few days so everyone here can meet him!

Bullseye

Postby Bullseye » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:23 pm

Sure look forward to it, if you need help with posting photos just let me know...

And for the weight pull the IWPA have someone in Oklahoma or atleast some who could point you in the right direction..

Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas (Jenny Chen 512-981-7627)

Source:

International Weight Pull Association

Hope this helps :)

patty

Postby patty » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:11 pm

Hi teagan!
Bullseye has given great advice. Have you considered crate training?
Can't wait to see pictures of your puppy.
If you have any questions please ask.

haranka
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby haranka » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:33 am

Welcome Teagan 8)

JAG
Newborn Bully

Postby JAG » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:07 am

Thank you! :)

JAG
Newborn Bully

Postby JAG » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:08 am

patty wrote:Hi teagan!
Bullseye has given great advice. Have you considered crate training?
Can't wait to see pictures of your puppy.
If you have any questions please ask.

Hey Patty.
Yes he has. And yes we're crate training. Will post pics as soon as I can. Thanks! He's been here since Sunday and crate training has been hard, he's been up crying all night every night. I posted about it in Behavior and Training.

Return to “Introductions”