Hi!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Hi!

Postby Nickdawg » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:28 pm

Hi

Joined last week, this is a great forum!

I live in BC. Adopted an APBT Cross, who I named Nick, from the local shelter around age 2; he'll be 8 this Summer! I'll save his adoption story for another time - I'll just say - it was certainly meant to be....

I contribute financially and otherwise when I can as well as do a lot of educating. BSL makes me crazy and is something I pay a lot of attention to.

I have successfully learned how to use picture trail ( yay!) and get the sense that folks here like pictures so here's Nick -

with his best bud

yeah, I'm handsome...

Michelle

PitBullPride

Postby PitBullPride » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:31 pm

Very cute! Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!

GreenEyedBully
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby GreenEyedBully » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:44 pm

Beautiful Friends you have there! Welcome!

stinger

Postby stinger » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:50 pm

Nice puppy :) can i still say puppy? i can't wait to hear the story :) welcome

rutibegga
Super Bully

Postby rutibegga » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:53 pm

Nick is handsome, as is his friend! Welcome!

TwistedAngel
Bully Ambassador

Postby TwistedAngel » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:10 am

Welcome Nick is gorgeous :inlove:

deeviousD
Matured Bully

Postby deeviousD » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:21 am

:welcome: Michelle....ur an :angel: for doing rescue......Nick sure is a handsome boy....and I also can`t wait to here the rescue story

Ariel Payopay
Site Admin

Postby Ariel Payopay » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:16 pm

Welcome!

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Nick's Adoption Story - long

Postby Nickdawg » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:07 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome and compliments on my boy!
Here's Nick's adoption story - sorry so long, I really tried not to be!

Nick’s Adoption Story

Started dog walking at the local shelter- wanted to give the dogs some exercise and lovin’ and also was interested in adopting a dog at some point but was in an apartment that likely did not allow dogs - thought this would be a great way to get to know lots of them and get my dog “fix”.

In kennel #1 was a stray whose name was going to be Nick but he didn’t know it yet :)

The first day I walked him at some point along the way I just remember looking down at him and saying how ya doin’ Nick? it just came to me… suited him…

I started going to see him every day, playing with him and taking him out walking. I started researching the breed on the net. I found a picture online that was his spitting image (APBT/Boxer Cross, don’t know if that is his mix or not but sure looked like him), printed it out and started carrying it around and showing it to everyone. Shelters didn’t have online photos at that time. His pic was in one of those company sponsored adopt me ads in the newspaper but was a terrible shot!

Chatting away with a co-worker one day on our way to the parking lot I told her about Nick – she says what does he look like? I described him, age etc. and showed her the photo (becoming worn by this time). She said I think I know him – tells me about a puppy dog named Rocky who was owned by a young girl who lived on the streets – seems Rocky ate a tampon one day :wow which then expanded and he had to have major intestinal surgery.

Following this, the girl felt he may be special needs in terms of diet/ongoing health issues and she needed to get out of town too (maybe b/c she skipped on the bill, I don’t know) so asked my co-worker if she would take him and find him a home. She looked a long time for a suitable home and found a family on a farm out of town that seemed good; they promised to have him neutered and give him a happy life. The day she dropped him off she had a bit of a funny feeling but thought it was b/c she wanted to keep him and couldn’t. Obviously that funny feeling had merit b/c he showed up as a stray – very skinny, still not neutered etc. about a yearish later.

Next time I went to see him I checked his belly for the surgery scar and there it was! Now I am almost positive it is the same dog and now know more of his history…

By this point I am having heart palpitations every day I drive to see him b/c I am afraid he will have been adopted when I get there and I have grown very attached. Have visited and walked him for about a month at this point, he comes running from the end of his indoor/outdoor run when I call him Nick.

Back to the original problem I live in an apartment, cats are allowed, I’m not sure about dogs- I wasn’t intending to fall in love! I ask the landlord if I can have a dog; he is thinking about it, the co-worker who knew him originally says she’ll help out, another friend says she will too; still visiting him every day….. time ticks on…

Landlord says no…

One day I am there with a friend who I took to meet him – another couple is looking at him – I am in his kennel with him and begin to say “You’re coming home with mama aren’t you Nick ?” several times – later my friend tells me I look like a mother lion!

A few days later I can stand it no longer - I adopt him.
Give notice at my apartment.
Find another place to rent that will take a dog in 2 phone calls! Great place, has a fully fenced backyard, is 5 min from work…. this is unbelievable!

By the way I don’t recommend this – I was VERY lucky – also had back up - a good friend who owned her own home and had an extra room and was happy to have the two of us stay until I found permanent accommodation.

That is the story of Rocky who became Nick who became mine.

abnormalsanon
Super Bully

Postby abnormalsanon » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:30 pm

That's a fantastic story! It does sound meant to be, and you were obviously really dedicated to him from the beginning. He's a lucky guy!

NatX
Matured Bully

Postby NatX » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:24 pm

Welcome!!

TwistedAngel
Bully Ambassador

Postby TwistedAngel » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:58 am

That is great it was obviously meant to be, im glad you found eachother.

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:06 am

I Loved reading the story, it was really touching.

It also reminded me to keep my tampons out of reach.

Laina
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Laina » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:43 pm

:welcome:

Nick is one handsome boy!

BullyBoi

Postby BullyBoi » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:23 pm

yea he is handsome, welcome :peace:

Return to “Introductions”