Airline Crates

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Airline Crates

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:39 pm

There was a question posed to my local shelter group.
"Have any of you flown your pit bull type on a commercial airline? If so, what type of crate did you use (apparently some airlines require "reinforced" crates)? Any other tips for keeping your dog comfortable on a flight?"

I read through viewtopic.php?f=2&t=153902&hilit=airline" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but a lot of the talk was about the actual airline, not so much about the crate or comfort.

Do you have suggestions for my group?
fyi we're a small group of the AWLA http://www.facebook.com/awlapitcrew?sk=wall" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AllisonPitbullLvr

Re: Airline Crates

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:16 pm

We fly fugitives all the time in standard vari kennels. If in doubt, I'd call the airline. I've never encountered a requirement for reinforced kennels.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Re: Airline Crates

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:20 pm

Sorry, double post. As for keeping them comfortable, some airlines have strict rules about what can and can not go in to a crate. We usually send them with nothing (no blankets, toys, chews, food or water) because the airline staff isn't going to recognize or intervene if there is a concern of choking/ingesting blankets or toys, regurgitating/vomiting, etc. The pups I've flown are in the crate for probably up to 7-8 hours by the time I've loaded them and the foster on the other end unloads them, and it sounds like a long time to be without food/water/blankets but it's the safest way to go.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”