How much did you pay to fence in your yard?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
PittiMama03031
Newborn Bully

How much did you pay to fence in your yard?

Postby PittiMama03031 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:21 am

Hi, all. I am hoping to fence in my backyard in the spring, and i am just trying to get a rough estimate on how much it will be. If you could tell me how big your yard is, and what kind of fencing you used that would be great. If you feel like adding pics too , that would also be appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Derek
Addicted to PBF

Postby Derek » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:26 am

My fence came with the house. lol But there's a big difference in price depending on what kind of fence you want. Chain link is the most economical, but also easy for escape artist dogs to get out of.

Wood is more expensive, but more private and secure. Still it's susceptible to wind damage, and rot, and smaller dogs can sometimes get out if there's even one slat that gets damaged.

Rock, or brick fences are the way to go, but very expensive. Where do you live? That makes a big difference on building materials and labor costs too. If you live in CA, and someone from OK had their fence done for $1,500, that's not gonna give you any real indication of how much you'll have to spend.

I'd advise you to get an estimate from a fencing contractor (most won't charge you for an estimate), or if you want to DIY, measure the perimeter of your yard and watch the Lowe's and Home Depot inserts in the paper.

PittiMama03031
Newborn Bully

Postby PittiMama03031 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:47 am

Hi, thanks for replying. I live in New England, and I want to try to use vinyl, or wood. I was going to try to do it my self because I don't have much money. Just the cost of suplies is going to tap me. Well, thanks again.

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:49 am

Derek wrote:If you live in CA, and someone from OK had their fence done for $1,500, that's not gonna give you any real indication of how much you'll have to spend.

I'd advise you to get an estimate from a fencing contractor (most won't charge you for an estimate), or if you want to DIY, measure the perimeter of your yard and watch the Lowe's and Home Depot inserts in the paper.

:goodpost:

I'd do both the estimate and keep an eye on the home stores, you may think you want to DIY, and then decide it isn't worth the time and effort... or vice versa.

Good luck!

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:26 pm

http://www.thefenceline.co.uk/images/la ... _fence.jpg

We have this type stuff here, it is 6' tall and it was $180/100' of fencing, here in WA/OR anyway.
IMO it's better than wood fencing.
Wood fencing is so easy to dig out of.
Unless you pour concrete at the base of it.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:02 pm

We just fenced our yard last year. We went with 7 foot deer fencing. We had it professionally installed. The website says it's easy to do yourself...but neither hubby nor I are skilled in that manner. For 225 linear feet, 3 five foot wide gates and 18 posts it cost us $4500.

I actually think the deer fencing was cheaper than if we went with wood or vinyl...but maybe it was the professional installation that killed us.

The pros are that it blends nicely into the landscape (especially since we have woods behind us). The cons are it is not a containment fence. In other words if the dog was left outside by herself for any length of time I'm sure she could eventually figure out a way to go under it or maybe through it. Since we are always out with her...it meets our needs.

Here's a picture of 1 of the gates (over to the left side). We had to padlock the gates because Veronica rushed the gate after the neighbor's cat; and hit the gate so hard she popped both the latches...and we had 10 heart stoppping minutes of free range pit bull. :frown:

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:49 pm

My backyard isn't very big and it cost about a grand to fence it in. We bought the pre made wood panels 6 feet tall from Menards. I don't remember how many panels we have. We did half at a time, it was pretty expensive for me anyways. But so glad it's up and no leashing the dogs to potty and having to go out with them, especially in the winter.
My dogs aren't left out in the yard unattended though, they could dig out or jump over but it's good for playtime and springpole while blocking my view of the neighbors. I love the privacy.

Derek
Addicted to PBF

Postby Derek » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:41 pm

PittiMama03031 wrote:Hi, thanks for replying. I live in New England, and I want to try to use vinyl, or wood. I was going to try to do it my self because I don't have much money. Just the cost of suplies is going to tap me. Well, thanks again.

Sounds like you're on a tight budget. Hey, who isn't? Maybe you could do a portion of your yard, or like GoingPostal did, just do a section at a time. When I was house shopping, some of the places I looked at didn't have fencing at all. So I was prepared to do a little area of chain link outside, for a temporary solution. You could probably do 100 linear feet of chain link yourself for around $250-$300 in a weekend. Post holes are hard to dig, but otherwise, it's not to technical.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:03 pm

Mine cost just over $2500 this spring. I only had 2 sides done...I have to sneak the other section in under the code enforcement radar next year.

My yard is 50' long and about 35' wide.

albert09
Newborn Bully

Postby albert09 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:16 pm

if your looking for a fence that works that is cheap, go with wire fencing, cheapest by far

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:31 pm

We had a quote done for chain link fencing... just for the materials and we would put the fence in ourselves...

To fence an area 45'x64' the materials would have cost us $1200 for 5' chain link, with one vehicle gate and one person gate... because we weren't going to leave the dogs out there alone we priced the 5' because any taller than that is special order (we went to Home Depot, they give you a paper to map out your fence, bring it in and they figure everything out for you). I realize the dogs could jump that, but we'd be out there playing with them. The chain link itself was really cheap, it's all the stupid little extra things that you need that really add up (the chain link itself was $200 of that, the rest is cement, posts, gates, clips, top posts, bottom posts, corner supports... there's a ton of stuff I had no idea you needed)

I really like the deer fencing that Jazzy posted, I'm going to look into that :thumbsup:

Nina06
Newborn Bully

Postby Nina06 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:37 am

for our 80 feet back fence, we were quoted about $1700 for chain-link and 5 feet high. I was totally surprised by how much it was. I was going to compare cost between professional and DIY but there was no comparison. I thought I would be able to save my dad some time and frustration but in the end my dad and brothers installed a six-foot privacy fence for about $350. Could have been done in a day but there were some issues and my dad is a perfectionist who took his time so it took a weekend.

Although cost may be an issue, you should really decide what would be best for you and your dog. Last thing you want to do is be wasting time and money on something that may not work for you or wished you would have gone with something else.

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:29 pm

$5k for the entire yard - 6' privacy in back and 3.5' picket w/arbor in front. I wish I would have done it myself now.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:06 pm

Should add we did ours just my boyfriend and stepdad. Rented a post hole digger and only took a few hours to do each side.

teddy
Bully Ambassador

Postby teddy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:07 pm

PittiMama03031 wrote:Hi, thanks for replying. I live in New England, and I want to try to use vinyl, or wood. I was going to try to do it my self because I don't have much money. Just the cost of suplies is going to tap me. Well, thanks again.

In reply, vinly will last longer, but the cost will be higher, wood will last but not as long through the years...If money is an issue and you don't want to burn a hole in the pocket, go with wood..My brother and i did would, and did the whole fence our self...Very easy to do and saves he/she a lot of money...back yard was pretty big by the way.if you have any questions let me know...i can help you

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”