for those that tether

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
sydking
Newborn Bully

for those that tether

Postby sydking » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:33 am

when tethering, what is more suitable and safe. a collar or harness?

and why?

thanks in advance

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:57 am

Oscar is tethered in a collar, and I've never seen a harness that didn't also have a warning that it was not suitable for tie out use. I'm not sure why that is, as I generally consider harnesses safer, since they aren't slipped out of easily, and don't put stress on the neck, but are more balanced around a stronger, less fragile part of the body.

I don't think it would matter much, because Oscar is never unsupervised - if he's outside, I'm outside. Nothing's going to happen to him that I can't get to within seconds.

MsPsychotic
Matured Bully

Postby MsPsychotic » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:32 am

We used to have to tether Bear when we'd take him outside because our yard wasn't fully fenced. I used a regular 1 1/2" padded collar most of the time, but if we were gonna go walking after playing, I'd hook him using the harness.

He was never left out alone on the tether for more than the time it took me to run into the house to grab the ringing phone and go right back outside with him.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:38 am

We used a leather 2" stillwater collar for tethering our GSD. It works well for that purpose.
And we still use it though we don't tether him, it's just an awesome piece of equipment.

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:36 am

Most determined dogs CAN back out of a harness. Collars that are fitted correctly are much harder to slip than even a good fitting harness.

sydking
Newborn Bully

Postby sydking » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:51 pm

thanks all for your replys, another thing also. i notice people use car axles.

would an aircraft tie down be suitable aswell?

trooper
Newborn Bully

Postby trooper » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:23 am

I see you've decided to tether your puppy rather than have her safely, securely & legally enclosed in a run.

I know a lot of APBT people in the States tether their dogs - from my experience, usually people with plenty of experience within the breed and/or a good breed mentor to assist them in creating the best set-up possible. You, on the other hand, are choosing to base your dog's life & future on half-baked ideas, zero knowledge or experience, utter ignorance, zany whims and what I suspect to be image-related delusions rather than sound advice from APBT owners & enthusiasts from Australia. In short - you are doing whatever is easiest/cheapest/most convenient/fastest/best for yourself rather than what is best for your dog or for the breed.

Unfortunately, I have a bad feeling about you tethering your undeclared restricted breed puppy in your backyard. Have you considered the very, VERY real threat of theft? A puppy with a red nose; tied up in a backyard somewhere in the Riff? I know people in much "safer" areas (I'm not being suburb-ist; it's a statement of fact) who have had adult APBTs stolen from regulation locked enclosures. A puppy tethered out is a prime target.

How about barrier aggression? Boredom? Other dogs who can get into your yard (if your dog won't keep an APBT in, it probably won't keep a fair few other dogs out) - leaving your puppy completely vulnerable to attack or, if she's older, at risk of seriously maiming or killing the other dog)? And dare I suggest it - if your yard won't keep an APBT in, it won't keep a child out. I'm not at all suggesting this breed (or any other) has an inclination towards aggression of any form, but doggies have waggly tails and floppy ears and children are very...errr...tactile creatures. With no escape (on a tether), a dog can & will resort to its species' instincts to protect itself. Painful when it's a Chi; deadly when it's any medium to large-sized and/or powerful breed.

I just get the feeling that you are reading and absorbing information eg - tethering, not common at all in Australia) from a lot of US-based materials on this breed and taking them onboard without questioning the technicalities and the implications of your specific situation. You have repeatedly ignored good, sound advice from fellow Australian owners & enthusiasts of APBTs on this and other forums; choosing instead to decide your pup's fate based upon internet posts which do not offend you & which support your watery theories on correct, safe and lawful APBT ownership in Australia.

Finally, I know that should you actually choose to acknowledge and respond to this post rather than ignore it like you did most of my others, you will only do so in order to attack and/or challenge me (not that I am against challenging discussion; I'm just against blatant and conscious ignorance of a very important subject). I (and many others) have tried to give you advice based on knowledge and experience, yet you have chosen to ignore it in favour of whatever fits YOUR desires/budget/extremely poor knowledge of this breed. I wish your puppy all the best in her beautiful life and hope that you soon wake up to yourself and do what is right for your dog & for the breed rather than what is best for you.

db_sampson
Super Bully

Postby db_sampson » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:06 am

:goodpost: i remember seeing some of sydkings post on an australian dog forum about the same thing, most of the replies were quit negative due to his poor attitude..

sydking
Newborn Bully

Postby sydking » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:29 am

trooper wrote:I see you've decided to tether your puppy rather than have her safely, securely & legally enclosed in a run.

I know a lot of APBT people in the States tether their dogs - from my experience, usually people with plenty of experience within the breed and/or a good breed mentor to assist them in creating the best set-up possible. You, on the other hand, are choosing to base your dog's life & future on half-baked ideas, zero knowledge or experience, utter ignorance, zany whims and what I suspect to be image-related delusions rather than sound advice from APBT owners & enthusiasts from Australia. In short - you are doing whatever is easiest/cheapest/most convenient/fastest/best for yourself rather than what is best for your dog or for the breed.

Unfortunately, I have a bad feeling about you tethering your undeclared restricted breed puppy in your backyard. Have you considered the very, VERY real threat of theft? A puppy with a red nose; tied up in a backyard somewhere in the Riff? I know people in much "safer" areas (I'm not being suburb-ist; it's a statement of fact) who have had adult APBTs stolen from regulation locked enclosures. A puppy tethered out is a prime target.

How about barrier aggression? Boredom? Other dogs who can get into your yard (if your dog won't keep an APBT in, it probably won't keep a fair few other dogs out) - leaving your puppy completely vulnerable to attack or, if she's older, at risk of seriously maiming or killing the other dog)? And dare I suggest it - if your yard won't keep an APBT in, it won't keep a child out. I'm not at all suggesting this breed (or any other) has an inclination towards aggression of any form, but doggies have waggly tails and floppy ears and children are very...errr...tactile creatures. With no escape (on a tether), a dog can & will resort to its species' instincts to protect itself. Painful when it's a Chi; deadly when it's any medium to large-sized and/or powerful breed.

I just get the feeling that you are reading and absorbing information eg - tethering, not common at all in Australia) from a lot of US-based materials on this breed and taking them onboard without questioning the technicalities and the implications of your specific situation. You have repeatedly ignored good, sound advice from fellow Australian owners & enthusiasts of APBTs on this and other forums; choosing instead to decide your pup's fate based upon internet posts which do not offend you & which support your watery theories on correct, safe and lawful APBT ownership in Australia.

Finally, I know that should you actually choose to acknowledge and respond to this post rather than ignore it like you did most of my others, you will only do so in order to attack and/or challenge me (not that I am against challenging discussion; I'm just against blatant and conscious ignorance of a very important subject). I (and many others) have tried to give you advice based on knowledge and experience, yet you have chosen to ignore it in favour of whatever fits YOUR desires/budget/extremely poor knowledge of this breed. I wish your puppy all the best in her beautiful life and hope that you soon wake up to yourself and do what is right for your dog & for the breed rather than what is best for you.

please you don't know a thing about me, for starters my girl is being kept inside all the time that me and my family are home, and she is sleeping outside at night.

what im trying to do is get INFORMATION on cirtian things just incase one day i might need to put them into practice, i would rather have half an idea of what im doing then just do something.

so please dont assume anything, especially my neighborhood as the riff you say is is.

instead of talking rubbish and following me around on forums why not give me some info on my topics and help out instead of bitching about them?

trooper
Newborn Bully

Postby trooper » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:24 pm

You've decided to get half an idea after you get the dog? Good work.

I'm not assuming things. Yes the dog may well be an inside&outside dog now but you cannot deny that to begin with, you didn't have a clue where to keep it. Looking into things to prepare for a possible change of circumstances is commendable but as I tried to explain - tethering is not widely done or accepted in Australia and can possibly lead to issues, as I explained in my previous post. Unless you are forseeing an event such as moving to a house where dogs are by no means allowed inside (eg a rental) & where there is not sufficient fencing (in which case, why would you move there if you had a dog?), why would you need to be preparing to tether your dog?

Also - don't get all uppity about what I said about Penrith; I stated in my post I didn't mean to offend and what I said did not relate directly to yourself or your family. I simply stated a matter of fact re: crime rates and dog theft. If you want to get huffy about cold hard facts, by all means be my guest - but don't get your knickers in a twist at me for stating a widely accepted and statistically proven fact. Here's a website for you to peruse, should you still feel I'm being unfair or untruthful: http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lawlink/bocsar/ll_bocsar.nsf/pages/bocsar_lga_alphalist

I find it sad that you would choose to label my attempts to help you and your dog as "rubbish" - I do not see how encouraging responsible pet ownership and responsible ownership of an APBT in Australia is "rubbish". I do, however, see petty insults such as "stop following me around on forums" as rubbish. As for your attitude & refusal to take onboard good advice such as lawfully containing your RB dog - suffice to say I think they're about as responsible & respectful as decomposing bovine fecal matter.

Why not give you some info on your topics? Oh, shivers, I thought I already did - about the legislation, about responsible APBT ownership, about registering your dog; just to name a few. Did you forget all of that, or does your problem lie in the fact that I give you the truth, rather than the "information" you WANT to hear? It's not my fault if you see good, solid, well-meaning advice as an insult to your delicate ego. I will continue giving you advice or information on your posts - but don't expect me to dilute my knowledge, opinions or advice just to make you feel better about yourself.

sydking
Newborn Bully

Postby sydking » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:24 am

trooper wrote:You've decided to get half an idea after you get the dog? Good work.

I'm not assuming things. Yes the dog may well be an inside&outside dog now but you cannot deny that to begin with, you didn't have a clue where to keep it. Looking into things to prepare for a possible change of circumstances is commendable but as I tried to explain - tethering is not widely done or accepted in Australia and can possibly lead to issues, as I explained in my previous post. Unless you are forseeing an event such as moving to a house where dogs are by no means allowed inside (eg a rental) & where there is not sufficient fencing (in which case, why would you move there if you had a dog?), why would you need to be preparing to tether your dog?

Also - don't get all uppity about what I said about Penrith; I stated in my post I didn't mean to offend and what I said did not relate directly to yourself or your family. I simply stated a matter of fact re: crime rates and dog theft. If you want to get huffy about cold hard facts, by all means be my guest - but don't get your knickers in a twist at me for stating a widely accepted and statistically proven fact. Here's a website for you to peruse, should you still feel I'm being unfair or untruthful: http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lawlink/bocsar/ll_bocsar.nsf/pages/bocsar_lga_alphalist

I find it sad that you would choose to label my attempts to help you and your dog as "rubbish" - I do not see how encouraging responsible pet ownership and responsible ownership of an APBT in Australia is "rubbish". I do, however, see petty insults such as "stop following me around on forums" as rubbish. As for your attitude & refusal to take onboard good advice such as lawfully containing your RB dog - suffice to say I think they're about as responsible & respectful as decomposing bovine fecal matter.

Why not give you some info on your topics? Oh, shivers, I thought I already did - about the legislation, about responsible APBT ownership, about registering your dog; just to name a few. Did you forget all of that, or does your problem lie in the fact that I give you the truth, rather than the "information" you WANT to hear? It's not my fault if you see good, solid, well-meaning advice as an insult to your delicate ego. I will continue giving you advice or information on your posts - but don't expect me to dilute my knowledge, opinions or advice just to make you feel better about yourself.

haha i stoped reading at penrith. becasue that shows just how much you know about me, i live in the city if you must know

trooper
Newborn Bully

Postby trooper » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:20 am

Could have sworn (can't find it now; will search later) that you specifically stated the riff was your home - if not, why get offended in one of my previous posts if it had nothing to do with you?

Location aside, I see you have yet again decided to skirt the important issues in my posts to debate minutae. Why not answer any of the questions and/or points I've raised? Whether you are from the Riff or fricken Double Bay, most of the issues are still relevant - even more so if you've managed to find yourself a location in the city with both a house & a granny flat, not to mention no adequate fencing. My response to that is - you'd knowingly and willingly bring a restricted and heavily monitored escape-artist breed into your unequipped, unprepared and under-fenced home in the CBD? Wow, you're even more irresponsible than I first thought.

Am still waiting for a well thought-out response to the serious, considerable issues I have raised in many (if not all) of my posts. I am tempted to say I'm waiting with bated breath; however we all know it's a waste of time as you continually avoid dealing with any genuine inquries or issues raised which possibly conflict with your deluded visions of yourself as a model APBT owner.

trooper
Newborn Bully

Postby trooper » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:00 pm

Also - for those members who think I'm being unfair or cruel in my assessment of sydking:

"i would prefer a dog run, but they are very expensive so for now i think il just got for a chain tether set up" - going for the cheapest option after purchasing a RB dog

"i really don't want to run or tether her if its not necessary which i hope it will not be, but i will have a talk to my parents and see about sectioning of one of the granny flat rooms for her as that will be bigger then most runs Ive seen, im just preparing for the worst early ( which my not the the best thing to do) becasue i know i have this breed of dog which i know people will have there own opinions about, i love the breed and always have, thanks for all your comments, any more advice for people who have worked with this breed or just any is appreciated." - planning the pup's living arrangements after bringing her home

"could i just use a milk create? with a soft blanket on the floor and the mil create covering her?" - in reference to crate training a dog. Please note: an Australian milk crate is just less than 1 foot wide; just less than 1 foot tall; and just less than 1 foot deep. Sydking wants to crate train his 10-week-old puppy in this.

Too many other disastrous posts to mention. However; "any more advice for people who have worked with this breed or just any is appreciated"? I have tried, tried and tried to no avail. You are evidently the expert. As a last-ditch effort to help your puppy, I will offer to meet your pup with my puppy-friendly APBT bitch and will also extend the genuine and sarcasm-free offer of free board and food should you ever find youself in a position where you are unavailable to care for her (I am not at all implying that this will happen; I just know many people who have encountered difficulties securing safe boarding accomodation for their APBTs when on holidays or when a family/personal emergency strikes). Though I'm preparing for a witty and well-planned retort to these offers, please feel free to PM me should either offer ever appeal to you. Everything else aside, I'm much better at offering help (in regards to APBTs) in person 8)

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:36 am

per the rules, please do not bring posts or problems from other boards to pbf. thanks.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”