chain or leather leashes

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
sydking
Newborn Bully

chain or leather leashes

Postby sydking » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:20 pm

seen a discussion on another site about chain and leather leashes, they seem to think that a leather leash is stonger then a chain?

i find this hard to belive, does anyone have any experince on what they think or know its the stongest leash out there, i know the clasp plays a big part but im more looking towards material at this point in time

Adolescent Bully

Postby 444 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:33 pm

I prefer rope leads,such as climbing or rappel rope.I have a good quality leather lead that has stretched slightly.Have never used a chain lead.Depending on size and quality of material the chain is probably stronger.The materials used for the handle and attachment of the handle will almost always be the weak link on a chain lead.

sydking
Newborn Bully

Postby sydking » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:03 pm

i might get a climbing rope, but do they come with thoes carabiee things attacheed, or do yo u need to put your own clasp on?

Rossignol
Matured Bully

Postby Rossignol » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:05 pm

I like the leather. I've never had one "wear out". The only thing I've lost a leather lead to is a dog chewing through it, (a pup), and that was my own dang fault. You will never have this problem with a chain. I dont like the chain because of how it hangs, its heavy and turns the collar. You cant take the slack out of it and run through your fingers either. With leather, quality leather, you can almost fold it in your hand, or have on made with an extra handle, or a multi function lead you can wear gun belt style over your shoulder, what ever... They can also be made with decorative studs or conchos...

Also available in more color options than chain. I dont personally recomend pink though.

Adolescent Bully

Postby 444 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:12 pm

http://ellaslead.com/hardware
this is a link to the hardware available from Ella's Lead.There are many options.I prefer a heavy duty bull snap.

Rossignol
Matured Bully

Postby Rossignol » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:58 pm

I agree, good stuff.

sydking
Newborn Bully

Postby sydking » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:01 pm

brass is the stongest for a clasp am i correct?

El Jefe
Newborn Bully

Postby El Jefe » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:12 pm

sydking wrote:brass is the stongest for a clasp am i correct?

Zinc plated and stainless steel clasps are stronger. Brass is a more aesthetically pleasing option.

db_sampson
Super Bully

Postby db_sampson » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:32 am

i use a chain lead because my dog is a terrible lead chewer and has almost chewed through one while we were out walking. i dont like using the chain lead it can be painful if you need to shorten it by wrapping it around your hand and it can be very slippery if it gets wet.

if she didnt chew leads, then i would use a rope or leather lead, chains simply suck, i would trust a decent leather or rope lead over my chain lead any day, but works for what i need it for..

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”