What kind of collar should I get?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

What kind of collar should I get?

Postby starrlamia » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:24 pm

So, the low down is that Grendel is a puller on walks, which is not only annoying but Im small and not very strong. Ive been working with him on it but unless I have a treat in my hand he ignores me, the big wide world is much more interested then me.
He is getting better, he does listen well on walks he just pulls alot.

So Ive been thinking and trying to decide on what to get him for our walks so that my arms doesnt pull out of socket and he doesnt choke himself to death.
My thoughts are a prong or a harness. Prong would mean no pulling but a harness would mean no chance of choking.

Any advice?

And while I was searching about collars I came across this:
http://www.amazon.com/StarMark-TCSC-Tra ... B000A6BD5U

any advantages besides not looking like a prong?

Thanks!

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:25 pm

oh and I guess there are those collars that someone posted that look like a halt but attach behind the neck.
I do not want to use a halti, i dont like them

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:40 pm

I started using a front clip harness, and it's working pretty well.

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:44 pm

A pinch collar (be it metal prong or plastic pinchers) is NOT intended to be used to correct a puller on a walk. If used, it should be used for quick corrections that last a fraction of a second, not to have the dog pulling against them and have the pain of that pull attempt to discourage pulling.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:49 pm

Amie wrote:A pinch collar (be it metal prong or plastic pinchers) is NOT intended to be used to correct a puller on a walk. If used, it should be used for quick corrections that last a fraction of a second, not to have the dog pulling against them and have the pain of that pull attempt to discourage pulling.

:thumbsup: thanks! This is why Im asking rather then deciding on my own!!

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:05 pm

Sure! If you're interested in a prong (I think there are better options for most dogs) there's a thread somewhere around here about proper fit (I'll try to bump it in a second).

For pulling on a walk I'd use one of the more positive harnesses (head or chest harness) and do what is called "choose to heel" - anytime the dog is near you in a heel position, he gets a treat. You don't ask the dog anything, you don't give any command, you just let the dog choose where to be, and reward him for being where you want him.

There are a lot of other methods, but that one is the easiest for me, and very fast.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:15 pm

Amie wrote:Sure! If you're interested in a prong (I think there are better options for most dogs) there's a thread somewhere around here about proper fit (I'll try to bump it in a second).

For pulling on a walk I'd use one of the more positive harnesses (head or chest harness) and do what is called "choose to heel" - anytime the dog is near you in a heel position, he gets a treat. You don't ask the dog anything, you don't give any command, you just let the dog choose where to be, and reward him for being where you want him.

There are a lot of other methods, but that one is the easiest for me, and very fast.

thanks again! i remember reading that thread and I know there is a good site floating around about fitting them.

Thanks for the idea! it makes more sense for me seeing as his listening skills are quite selective outside. Im thinking about a harness, might look into the cdpits or missyv's walking harnesses and getting a D on the front. (that would work would it not? as opposed to the commercial ones? i like the look better :P )

Nanci
Newborn Bully

Postby Nanci » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:17 am

For what it's worth, when I adopted Bella, she was an adult with no training. She was a strong but not obnoxious puller. I put a prong collar on her, but never corrected her. We'd start off on a walk. When the lead went taut, and she'd start to pull, I'd stop moving, and not continue on until she took steps backwards to make the lead go slack. She figured out the answer in less than a day, and WILL NOT pull with a prong collar on (like if we are out somewhere where she might encounter other dogs, or squirrels, etc.) and rarely pulls with a flat collar on, and even then just needs a reminder of me looking at her like "I'm sorry but I can't walk if the lead is tight." But she's a really soft dog who wants to make me happy.

Nanci

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:40 pm

GAHHHHH

I went to 2 pet stores today and one had a similar harness, the easy walk. I said ok and got it, but his chest is to wide for a normal size and they didnt carry the inbetween sizes :(
Ive been looking online but i cant find any place that doesnt charge an arm and a leg for them :(

JurisMyDiction
Super Bully

Postby JurisMyDiction » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:27 pm

i've tried everything, i'm using gentle leaders now and they are a GODSEND, i've tried the easy walk and prong collars but the gentle leader is truely awesome, and i hear the halti is even better

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:45 pm

JurisMyDiction wrote:i've tried everything, i'm using gentle leaders now and they are a GODSEND, i've tried the easy walk and prong collars but the gentle leader is truely awesome, and i hear the halti is even better

:thumbsup: thanks for the input! I cant stand halti's and head harnesses, my sister uses them with her dog and I just dont like em.

Melody
Forum Junky

Postby Melody » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:07 pm

I knew someone who had a blue version of the black collar you posted above. She was using it on a bull terrier. The dog ended up breaking it after only a few uses, it did nothing to discourage pulling.

I have no personal use/knowledge of that type of collar, other than the above scenario. I know that person only because they were neighbors of one of my training clients, and we'd always bump into each other during sessions.

JurisMyDiction
Super Bully

Postby JurisMyDiction » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:43 pm

starrlamia wrote:
JurisMyDiction wrote:i've tried everything, i'm using gentle leaders now and they are a GODSEND, i've tried the easy walk and prong collars but the gentle leader is truely awesome, and i hear the halti is even better

:thumbsup: thanks for the input! I cant stand halti's and head harnesses, my sister uses them with her dog and I just dont like em.

i was the same way, i used to think they looked too much like muzzles. i tried one at petsmart though and it was great. after using it for only 2 days my pup now sits politely and lets me put it right over his nose and clip it.

sydking
Newborn Bully

Postby sydking » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:52 am

the best thing that has worked for me was something i read of thi siste,

as soon as the dog starts to walk ahead and pull quickly change direction with a command like NO and walk in the oppoiste derection, they wil soon lern that pulling gets them nowere

after 3 walks my pup got the hang of things and if she picks up the pace i just a firm NO, and then she falls back to heel. its not perfect yet but i dont expect to much form a 3 month old, as long as shes knows whats acceptable and whats not.

ive got a halti aswell, never used it tho, ive heard once the halti is off they just go back to pulling.

DirtyKurty
Newborn Bully

Postby DirtyKurty » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:49 am

we use gentle leaders for our pups and no pulling at all.. they are amazing :headbang:

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”