thinking of a chain leash

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
bboyvoss
Newborn Bully

thinking of a chain leash

Postby bboyvoss » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:27 pm

im thinking of getting one of those chain link leashes with the nylon handles. but an old friend of mine said his pits always broke free of those but the nylon kind was WAY stronger. is this true or was he just talking bull? i can see maybe the chain link breaking apart but...realistically i dont think itll happen. any experiance?

Adolescent Bully

Postby 444 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:53 pm

db_sampson
Super Bully

Postby db_sampson » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:50 am

chain leashes are uncomfortable to use, i have one and use it with bella because she chews through nylon ones, if she didnt do that i would use a nylon or rope lead..

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:08 pm

Check out Ellaslead http://www.ellaslead.com/

Strong and comfortable!

sydking
Newborn Bully

Postby sydking » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:47 am

im using a chain leach at the moment wiht a padded nylon handle, ive done some reserch and asked around and have decided on a rope leash.

its double bradied marine rope with a 2.5 tonne breaking limmit, 10mm thick with a heavey duty bullsnap

i dont mind the chain, i just dont trust the nylon handle

db_sampson
Super Bully

Postby db_sampson » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:17 am

sydking wrote:im using a chain leach at the moment wiht a padded nylon handle, ive done some reserch and asked around and have decided on a rope leash.

its double bradied marine rope with a 2.5 tonne breaking limmit, 10mm thick with a heavey duty bullsnap

wait untill you have to make it shorter by wrapping it around your hand, beleive me i use a chain lead everyday and it can be very painful. a normal nylon leash is more that strong enough for a young pup.

DarkMoon
Super Bully

Postby DarkMoon » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:59 am

FBODGRL wrote:Check out Ellaslead http://www.ellaslead.com/

Strong and comfortable!

I second Ellas lead. I LOVE her stuff. I have no fear of my dog breaking that leash.

Kit
Adolescent Bully

Postby Kit » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:39 pm

I know when I took obediance classes, we could only use leather or nylon. Chain leashes were not allowed.

I have a couple nylon, but almost always pick my leather leashes. They are good quailty leather, and the handles are padded with deerskin, and matches their collars.

I figure if the dog is strong enough to break a good leather leash, they need more training. And I lead my horses with a leather lead, if a dog needs something stronger that a horse... something isn't right.

sydking
Newborn Bully

Postby sydking » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:49 am

db_sampson wrote:
sydking wrote:im using a chain leach at the moment wiht a padded nylon handle, ive done some reserch and asked around and have decided on a rope leash.

wait untill you have to make it shorter by wrapping it around your hand, beleive me i use a chain lead everyday and it can be very painful. a normal nylon leash is more that strong enough for a young pup.

yes is can be quite painfull but my chain leash is only 2 foot long, so havent had to do it many times at all, its even worse when its wet and slipery.

ShortSealBlueBrindle
Newborn Bully

Postby ShortSealBlueBrindle » Sat May 09, 2009 8:12 pm

i use one sometimes..i like it, but it can be painfull on hands if he/she wants to be a lil rammy, haha

d3ko
Newborn Bully

Postby d3ko » Wed May 13, 2009 2:48 pm

Ive been using a chain linked leash for a few years with my gsd and now I use one with leonidas. I keep the lead on both hands. My right hand holds the nylon and my left holds the chain. And Leonidas is at heell on my left. Hope this helps.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”