Collar VS Harness

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
brit.sm
Matured Bully

Collar VS Harness

Postby brit.sm » Thu May 28, 2009 10:06 am

Does anyone NOT use a collar but instead use just a harness?? My bf doesn't want him to have a collar on anymore but instead just have his harness on all the time with his tags on his harness. Is that wierd? I would think it would get uncomfortable. Do you know of any comfortable harnesses? (Im looking around but havent seen any that look comfortable to wear all the time)

Thanks!! :thumbsup:

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Thu May 28, 2009 10:22 am

We used to use a no-pull Sensation harness when we first got Molly but it was only for being to have control while we were training her to walk nicely.

IMO, harnesses have more straps that might get caught up on things and even nicely lined ones (we now use a Ruffwear harness for occasions when we want a harness) can cause chafing if your dog were to wear one all the time. Also, since it is important to fit a harness properly for when they're walking, it will most likely be uncomfortable when they're just lying around and you would have to loosen and re-fit every time. There is also the potential that your dog might chew on the straps that he can get to if left alone.

Since we change Molly's collars quite often and don't like for her to wear a 1.5" collar all the time due to chafing issues around the neck, I got a 1/2" diameter leather rolled collar that we put her tags on and she wears that 24/7. It's a little loose so it doesn't get in the way when we put on the 1.5" collars for walks. I researched various fur-saver types of collars before deciding on a leather rolled collar for Molly.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Thu May 28, 2009 10:25 am

Every time I've heard of someone leaving a harness on a dog, said dog has chewed it off. lol

brit.sm
Matured Bully

Postby brit.sm » Thu May 28, 2009 10:29 am

Every time I've heard of someone leaving a harness on a dog, said dog has chewed it off.

Definatly see my pup doing that!! haha dunno why the bf is against collars of all of sudden :dunno: So wierd.. I was looking at nice stillwater collars and harnesses...Probably end up going with collars..Im the boss.. lol

Has anyone seen any harnesses lined with furr?

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Thu May 28, 2009 10:54 am

Personally I use both but it also depends what we are doing. If I want a nice relaxing walk I have my dog wear a collar but if I want the dog to get a good work out I have it wear a harness. I like both options.

db_sampson
Super Bully

Postby db_sampson » Fri May 29, 2009 2:58 am

i walk bella with a harness her pulling doesnt worry me, it gives us both a better work out. i wouldnt leave it on her all the time, even if im tying her up outside the shop i put the lead on to her collar (i can see her the whole time and she is like 2 meters away). she always has a collar on though, the only time it comes of is if im changing it or she is getting bathed..

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Fri May 29, 2009 5:36 am

brit.sm wrote:
Every time I've heard of someone leaving a harness on a dog, said dog has chewed it off.

Definatly see my pup doing that!! haha dunno why the bf is against collars of all of sudden :dunno: So wierd.. I was looking at nice stillwater collars and harnesses...Probably end up going with collars..Im the boss.. lol

Has anyone seen any harnesses lined with furr?

www.weightpullharness.com I have a couple of her walking harnesses which can also be used on a carpet mill. they have the furry lining on them.

louie
Adolescent Bully

Postby louie » Fri May 29, 2009 7:01 am

Ruca has a collar on all the time but I never walk her on it since she loves to pull. If I don't want her pulling, we use a SENSE-ation harness but if I want to tire her out we use her walking/running harness from CDPITS. She's allowed to pull while she's on the walking/running harness because it tires her out more.

sydking
Newborn Bully

Re:

Postby sydking » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:50 pm

InBearsMemory wrote:Personally I use both but it also depends what we are doing. If I want a nice relaxing walk I have my dog wear a collar but if I want the dog to get a good work out I have it wear a harness. I like both options.

why would the dog receive a better work out with a harness on?

db_sampson
Super Bully

Re:

Postby db_sampson » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:25 pm

sydking wrote:
InBearsMemory wrote:Personally I use both but it also depends what we are doing. If I want a nice relaxing walk I have my dog wear a collar but if I want the dog to get a good work out I have it wear a harness. I like both options.

why would the dog receive a better work out with a harness on?

because most dogs will pull into a harness, unlike collars that will choke a dog if they pull...

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:29 pm

My dog Susie wears a harness all the time, because she's a pit/husky mix and she can back out of a collar in a second, so she doesn't wear a collar at all. We don't have a fence so every time I take her outside, she has a leash on, so I just leave the harness on her. It doesn't bother her at all, and she's never chewed it. I've had the best luck with Lupine harnesses, they have a longer sternum piece so that it doesn't chafe under her armpits. I haven't tried any of these more specialized harnesses with her though.

adamwilkes14
Matured Bully

Postby adamwilkes14 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:55 pm

We used to have Daisy harnessed all the time, but she chewed her last one off. Now we use a collar. We will get another harness later on, but will only harness her for walking

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”