cooling jackets?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
shelboriah
Matured Bully

cooling jackets?

Postby shelboriah » Fri May 29, 2009 12:31 pm

hey guys, this post is a little late since i just bought one, but does anyone use any kind of cooling jacket on their dogs?

i never liked dogs in clothes, but harvey's so damn wussy about the cold and the heat he's got a friggin outfit for every occasion!!

it was only 75% and not too humid the other day and he was panting like crazy. sometimes he lies down and refuses to go any farther. he acts more like an english bulldog than a boxer/pit sometimes.

i just ordered the ruff wear swamp cooler jacket. i like ruff wear's stuff and i know what size fits him.

anyone else have any experience?

Inaras mom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Inaras mom » Fri May 29, 2009 7:15 pm

I have the Cool K-9 cooling jacket for Inara ( http://coolk-9.com/ ). I got it on super clearance for $5, which was fantastic.

We've only used it once - I don't know if it actually kept her cooler or not. She couldn't really answer me when I asked, LOL. I felt better though, and that counts for something, right?

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Fri May 29, 2009 8:05 pm

We bought the crate mat of the Zentek:
http://www.zentekclothing.com/

I think it really helps Frany cool down after racing AND it doesn't need soaking or freezing like some other coats.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Fri May 29, 2009 9:09 pm

I have Ruffwear's Swamp Cooler and I LOVE it. It keeps Riddle so, so much cooler, she can actually go on hikes in the summer with me now.

http://store.bendpetexpress.com/prod-Ru ... -2328.aspx

bullheaded
Matured Bully

Postby bullheaded » Sat May 30, 2009 10:41 am

I also have the swamp cooler for my pit bull/boxer mix because he minds the slightest bit of heat. We used it a couple times last year and it seemed to help him. What I didn't like about it was my legs would end up wet also, if we would stop and he would come over and lean into me at all I would get wet. I'm thinking those Zentek coats look interesting. I might have to try one. Please let us know what you end up getting and how you like it. Good luck.

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Sat May 30, 2009 3:25 pm

The swamp cooler looks really interesting. I never thought about getting one of these for my dogs. Angel hates hiking in the heat and I thought it was a stamina issue but we recently hiked up in the mountains and he went for two hours and wanted more. It was about 70 degrees!

I'll definitely have to look into getting one of these things!

redmoss
Adolescent Bully

Postby redmoss » Sun May 31, 2009 1:57 pm

I just ordered one of these for one of my dogs who finds over 60 degrees nearly unbearable.

http://www.horseworks.com/inc/sdetail/181

Initially, I was looking into this:
http://www.chillybuddy.com/index/cooling.html

I like that they have cooling properties without having to be wet; both may be found at cleanrun.com.

yassy
Newborn Bully

Postby yassy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:18 pm

I have never bought a cooling jacket but,Palette has cool-bed. You will pour gallons of water into bed and,you don't need to change it. It is kind like canine version of water-bed. Water stays at room temperature but dog's body temperature is higher than water temperature so,it seems cool for them. I cover the bed with sheets and,I catch her sleeping (napping) on it,and she tends to go lay on it especially after walk to cool down.

Palette likes to seek for cool bed when hot. It is one of her favorite items.

Angela Adams
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: cooling jackets?

Postby Angela Adams » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:44 pm

Bump!

I'm looking for a cooling bed and jacket. Anymore reviews?

yassy
Newborn Bully

Postby yassy » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:16 pm

I have cool bed.I have been using it for 2 years plus. I love the bed so does my dog Palette.You can see her resting,napping on her cool bed herehttp://blog.yassysgdk.com/2009/06/27/keeping-your-dogs-cool-during-summer.aspx

She spends lot more after walking plus usual time especially during the summer.The water in the bed stay at room temperature but dog body temperature is much higher than water temperature,it cool dogs down fast and better.

when Palette takes her nap on cool bed,and she comes over,when I touch her tummy,I feel a little coldness on my hands.

Cool-Bed is one of her favorite stuff to have around.

Victoria
Matured Bully

Postby Victoria » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

I have plans to get this cooling vest for my working dog. But it is very expensive, and I have not been able to start saving up for it yet. Hopefully, I will soon. Right now, he wears a Kool Collar, which has a mesh sleeve you put ice in. It helps, but not for very long. I also have a Zentek crate pad for him, but the jury is still out for me on whether it helps him very much.

This cooling vest will last as long as I need it to!
http://www.coolvest.com/RPCM_Cooling_Ve ... _Vest.aspx

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:09 am

We haven't tried any of them. They look interesting. Peanut doesn't seem to have trouble with the heat or cold here.

We rarely walk her when it gets over 100F. We try to take her out when it's under 95F.

She does still get zoomies even when it's 106F tho!!

As far as a cooling bed - Peanut likes it when I toast her bed in the dryer every night! She'd hate a cooling bed. Of course this is Texas, where we keep the a/c so cold that for the first 4 minutes you're outside the 100+ feels nice - just long enough to get to the car!

shelboriah
Matured Bully

Postby shelboriah » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:54 am

*Bump*

hey guys,
haven't been on here for a while, but with summer underway and my wussy dog hating the heat like he does, i need a second cooling jacket or collar to keep at his second home (plus someone- we don't know who it could have been- chewed up one of the clips on his swamp cooler, and i had to macguyver it back together) .... just wondering if i should go with another swamp cooler (which works ok, but has to be wet and looks super dorky) or if anyone's tried anything else that works...

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:36 pm

I use the cooling collar that you put ice in (I'll have to look for the name) for Khan. I got it a couple years back. He had one bout of heat exhaustion and that was enough to freak me out and never ever want to see him in that state again!

MikeInTacoma

Re:

Postby MikeInTacoma » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:23 am

FransterDoo wrote:We bought the crate mat of the Zentek:
http://www.zentekclothing.com/

I think it really helps Frany cool down after racing AND it doesn't need soaking or freezing like some other coats.

I talked to the owner of Zentek last year at a dog show. It's spendy, but I'm impressed with it -- works as both a cooling jacket and a warming jacket. I plan to outfit our dogs with them when we get the chance. Don't need it most of the time, but if we get another summer like last year's... :shudder:

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”