Who wants to make me a collar!? =)

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
AdrianVall
Adolescent Bully

Who wants to make me a collar!? =)

Postby AdrianVall » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:28 am

Hey guys,

I know there are many collar makers on here, so I figured I'd throw it up here to see what kind of responses would be generated.

I'm having a VERY hard time deciding on where to order my collar from, since there are so many great people to get them from. I want a THICK leather collar that is 2" wide. Its for my mastiff pup who's neck is about 22.5", so the collar needs to be made 23" - 28" at least.

I usually get my leather collars from StillWater, since the leather is SO thick and the D ring is a nice heavyweight, but I wanted to see what all you guys have to offer.

My mastiff is fawn colored with a black mask and black ears. He weighs 125 lbs. and he's 8 months old.

So, watcha guys got?! :)

Thanks,
Adrian

Rossignol
Matured Bully

Re: Who wants to make me a collar!? =)

Postby Rossignol » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:50 am

Do you want dressed up or dressed down? Are you going to be doing any work with him? How is he doing with obedience and walking/heeling? Will it ever be used as a tie out collar? Do you want bombproof, decorative, stitched, lined, or padded?

And if you want pink or purple, or anything other than the 3 basic colors of the rainbow, being brown, black, and tan, (or shades of) I can recommend several great makers!

Many options out there!
Last edited by Rossignol on Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby pacopoe » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:57 am

Whoever you go with, I would highly suggest a black/brass combo. It is my absolute favorite combo for fawn dogs.

Another thing to consider is that he's only 8 months old now. If you have access to his parents, I'd grab a neck size from them as well so you can make sure you allow enough growing room (it's a bummer when your dog continues to expand *just* past that last hole lol ).

There are some great craftsmen (and women) here so just look around on some websites, pick the aesthetic you like, and you'll soon have the collar of your dreams!

Rossignol
Matured Bully

Postby Rossignol » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:09 pm

I agree, something timelessly classic about black and brass!

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:10 pm

I highly recommend Brad of http://www.stleathercraft.com for ultra-strong, thick and good looking collars.

Hoss sporting "The Guardian" collar in brass.

This collar is amazing. It tapers at the buckle for a more comfortable fit, and you can feel and see the strength and durability in the collar.

Hoyden
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Hoyden » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:30 pm

I agree. I love black and brass on a fawn dog.

I also like deep chocolate brown with brass on a fawn dog.

From Paco Collars, one of my favorites is the "Look Ma, No Tags". There is just something I like about that collar. I'd ask her to make it 2" wide, the base black and use chocolate strips on the top.

From St. Leathercraft I really like the Farmhand, but the collar on the front page is a stunner.

From my collection, Pete's Dog Gear, Connor's Collar is very thick and heavy. You can customize it with what ever color leather or conchos you'd like.

Rossignol
Matured Bully

Postby Rossignol » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:03 pm

I really like Connor's collar too, the newer one you recently posted in conjunction with the birthday sale, and the one on your site that says "Rumble Strip"

I with ya on the Look Ma, No Tags, and from Paco Collars, I pretty much like any of them with the 2 tone base and overlay or straps.

I prefer the minimalist stuff though myself, but there are a few with decoartion that I like.

I know there are more makers on here!

Libby, a special Thank you! :) Talk to you soon kid!

AdrianVall
Adolescent Bully

Postby AdrianVall » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:53 pm

Brad, I sent you an email.

I LOVE the collars at Petes Dog Gear, but its just a bit out of my price range unfortunately. I'm not sure I can spend that much on a collar.. :( although they are just absolutely STUNNING.

I hate how BIG's neck is so huge cause all these collars cost a significant amount more! :( :( :( ahh!

His neck will probably max out at 26-28". Thats my guess at least.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys. I'm definitely going black/dark brown with brass hardware for sure. That "Guardian" collar is just AMAZING. We'll see.

Hoyden
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Hoyden » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:34 pm

AdrianVall wrote:Brad, I sent you an email.

I LOVE the collars at Petes Dog Gear, but its just a bit out of my price range unfortunately. I'm not sure I can spend that much on a collar.. :( although they are just absolutely STUNNING.

I hate how BIG's neck is so huge cause all these collars cost a significant amount more! :( :( :( ahh!

His neck will probably max out at 26-28". Thats my guess at least.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys. I'm definitely going black/dark brown with brass hardware for sure. That "Guardian" collar is just AMAZING. We'll see.

Follow us on Facebook, I post sales there first, then to the forums when I can.

It's a lot more leather when the dog's neck is that big. Off the top of my head, I think the biggest dog collars I've made was 27" or 28". Neopolitan Mastiff whose owner dresses him up like a Rhino for halloween.

I made him some little rhino ears & a horn that he could put on his head. Wrong. I know. But damned funny.

Glad to help.

You will be very happy with Brad's work, my collar testers think highly of his work and I know their dogs are really hard on their gear.

Rossignol
Matured Bully

Postby Rossignol » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:40 pm

Rhino ears! lol! Too funny!

Thank you for the high remarks! And true, you do have some good sales runnin right now!

Adrian, reply is sent! Thank you!

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:10 pm

You can't go wrong with any of these three! I have my eye on all sorts of collars from all of them lol.

*whisper whisper* can't wait for tax returns!

AdrianVall
Adolescent Bully

Postby AdrianVall » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:45 pm

I need something with a very short turn around time, by the way..

BIG has just about outgrown his current collar, so I need something quickly.

Any idea's?

Elliehanna
Newborn Bully

Postby Elliehanna » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:30 pm

wow, I would say stillwater with a special order size for speed. I have noticed Ella's leads always gets my collar to me very fast (normally I have at most a 10 day wait where its about 20 or more for other custom makers I get collars from)

Rossignol
Matured Bully

Postby Rossignol » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:39 pm

You can check the ready to walk collars, I know Petes Dog Gear has some, Paco may, and there are others that do ready to walk, like Collarmania and Ellas Lead, Chelsea Shea of Custom Canine Collars may be able to help. You can find her and others on FaceBook.

Some of the folks on here can turn collars around in a couple of weeks.

There are others too, Stillwater, Ray Allen, Full Grip Gear and others still.

I apologize if I leave anyone out, its not on purpose, I just dont remember as much these days it seems. There are even more makers if you are interested in fabric or webbing.

chelsea00133
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby chelsea00133 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:50 pm

Rossignol wrote:You can check the ready to walk collars, I know Petes Dog Gear has some, Paco may, and there are others that do ready to walk, like Collarmania and Ellas Lead, Chelsea Shea of Custom Canine Collars may be able to help. You can find her and others on FaceBook.

Thanks Brad :D

I can do any width, and any size. I don't have any "ready to walk" collars, but I have pretty fast turn around time right now, so it wouldn't take long. I don't have an "offical" website yet (working on it) but I do have a facebook page - www.facebook.com/CustomCanineCollars . I don't have have all the pictures/collar styles on there yet, but there's lots of pictures of some collars I have made. Feel free to PM me here or email me :)

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”