Work to eat toys

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
Adrianne

Work to eat toys

Postby Adrianne » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:37 pm

I know this has been discussed before but I would like to know input on this.

I need two new work to eat toys for two dogs that appear to be medium on roughness with them. They're doing well with the bob-a-lot and kong wubba.

Complaints of the Kong Wubba=can't put more than 1.5 cup without it being weighted down to not work properly. Complaints of the bob-a-lot = very hard to load.

Any recommendations for toys that could better both of these issues?

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Re: Work to eat toys

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:43 am

As much as Mya loved her Bob-a-lot that thing is SO hard to get food in! And is about impossible if there is left over dog food in it and you would like to get it out. I have a Kong Wobbler to but I have not gotten to use it yet since Charlotte and Buddy hate work to eat toys.

I think you have already tried a Tug-a-jug right?

I wonder how well this would work?

http://www.sitstay.com/dog/supplies/ser ... 251_13360_

I have never used this but it looks like it would be easy to put food in and it says the large will hold 1.5 cups of food:

http://www.petexpertise.com/dog-toys/tr ... g-toy.html

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:40 am

I haven't tried them, but 1 of the dogs at my houses loves the treat sticks.
I also agree with the bob a lot being hard to fill.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:41 am

I did try the tug-a-jug, and I never liked it, none of my dogs could figure it out. :oops:

I think those treat balls are what my flyball friend uses for her bullies. They're cheap enough that I'll get one just to see how it does. I'm unsure if the malinois will figure them out or think they're a ball to be carried around. It took the both of them a long time and poor special Backup much longer to realize carrying the toy around like prize wasn't the point of this game.

Now I am so impressed. Last night Backup finally got it and he was so into it he started frustration barking like he does to his egge when the game was over, he had a blast! Sloan got extremely calm and almost sleepy looking while she worked it, like she does with tracking, she takes tracking so so seriously.

The TreatStik is interesting as well... I'm a bit confused by it but I'll check it out. Thank you :D

chelsea00133
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby chelsea00133 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:51 am

Adrianne wrote:I need two new work to eat toys for two dogs that appear to be medium on roughness with them. They're doing well with the bob-a-lot and kong wubba.

Complaints of the Kong Wubba=can't put more than 1.5 cup without it being weighted down to not work properly. Complaints of the bob-a-lot = very hard to load.

You mean... the Kong Wobbler? I don't think you can fit any food in a Kong Wubba lol

I love the Bob-a-lot, but I only use treats in it (I feed raw, that wouldn't really work well in a Bob-a-lot )

Have you tried the Everlasting Fun Ball? It seems pretty sturdy to me, I have one that I've had for almost 3 years I think it is now, and it's still in great shape. It's pretty easy to stuff with kibble, also.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:21 pm

Riddle annihilated her TreatStik in one go. Just chewed the crap out of it.

I've never had any trouble at all getting kibble into the Bob-A-Lot though... how are you guys doing it?

Elliehanna
Newborn Bully

Postby Elliehanna » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:24 pm

I hate my cube thing...its EVIL my dogs don't get it even on the easy setting and I will turn it to show them what to do, Goren will eat it then look at it and sniff it but not get it (this is after like 30+ mins of time in total) and Abby will kinda scoot it around on her trys lol its so sad >.< so I would not recommend that :D

Elliehanna
Newborn Bully

Postby Elliehanna » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:26 pm

its the bustercube treat ball thing...if your dogs are not super smart (cause Abby is pretty darn smart) then I would not suggest it...it makes me sad I spent like $20 on it and it just sets around

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:35 pm

I use Everlasting Fire Plug for my dogs and it's great, easy to stuff food in it and you can put a decent amount of kibble in the biggest one.

http://leerburg.com/1146.htm

You can use it with or without those everlasting treat refills.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:34 pm

I got my parents GSD a kong genius for Christmas and he really seemed to like it.

I don't have any other real life experience with work to eat toys :oops:

Zagari
Addicted to PBF

Postby Zagari » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:41 pm

i was going to suggest the tug-a-jug. it took emily a year or so to figure it out. but afterward, it worked like a charm. she no longer puked everything up. ;)

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:57 pm

I got Gypsy the 'Occupi' toy, and she figured it out so fast it was dissapointing lol And she continued on to try and destroy the toy after she got the treat stick thing out.

Dogzilla sales these 'egg' type toys that hold food, and Gypsy loves hers. It bobbles all over and she pushes it with her nose, causing the food to fall out. It doesn't take much time, maybe five or ten minutes lol But thats sooo much time compared to when I feed her in a bowl, where the food is gone in 2.7 seconds.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:14 pm

My morons love the Canine Genius. They each have their own style for getting the food out, but I love that it takes then a while to finish dinner. It's now called the Kong Canine Genius. When you think they have mastered the device, you can add another link to make it more challenging.

I just bought a Kong Wobbler and Flower has done well with it, but she gets it into a corner and practically beats it into submission until the food comes out.

We still have this one, the "Dizzy", if you would like to pay for shipping from VA, you can have it. I hate it. The top does not untwist. Why would someone do that???? So if something gets stuck inside, it's stuck. Hate it.

mypuppyJack
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby mypuppyJack » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:51 pm

I saw a post to make your own work to eat toy using a muffin pan and hiding treats in the muffin cups under tennis balls or plastic cups. I set it up and called over Jack. He slapped it once with his paw and flipped it over then scarfed down the treats all in one motion. Next. I set it back up called ellie. She delicately picked up a tennis ball and ran off so she could destroy it. At least it didn't cost me anything. :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:04 pm

Thank you for all the input! So far I bought a second kong wobbler and one of those balls that Mya posted.

I would like to try a kong genius but I keep worrying my dogs will just chew it up/not figure it out?

I use the work to eat toys as an entire meal also which is why the bob-a-lot is a pain in the butt.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”