Good quality orthopedic bed?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Good quality orthopedic bed?

Postby IloveBlu » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:57 am

Blu is getting older (will be six next month :eek: ), has some arthritis and will be having orthopedic surgery soon.

So, I want to get him a comfy supportive bed since he can't jump on couches/beds after his surgery. I would like to use it in and out of his crate.

Right now, he has a Costco bed that is okay, but clearly not supportive.

I was thinking about this one:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/p ... atid=22182
A little pricey, but seems like a good value.

Any other suggestions?

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Re: Good quality orthopedic bed?

Postby julie64 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:22 pm

I was looking at that same bed for my Shay. (she'll be 10 next month) It has alot of good reviews.
Hopefully someone chimes in that has bought it.

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:26 pm

i thought about an orthopedic bed for my dog (because she's about as broken as they come)... but then i realized that she sleeps on my bed at night, and the couch during the day.
i scrapped the idea, and used the money to buy her extra physio swimming :)

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:27 pm

she slept on your bed even after surgery?

I can see visions of myself sleeping in a sleeping bag in an xpen now. He's so not used to isolation.

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:14 pm

IloveBlu wrote:she slept on your bed even after surgery?

I can see visions of myself sleeping in a sleeping bag in an xpen now. He's so not used to isolation.

with her first surgery, i spent the first couple weeks on the floor with her, on a camping foamy and layered quilts.
for her second, third and fourth surgeries, i spent a couple days like that, and then lifted her up on the bed. she won't jump off, so it was easy to lift her up and down every day.

ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilovetyson » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:17 pm

Why not get those Dog Stairs.. so he can get up into bed without jumping on it?! :) best of both worlds! :)

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:28 pm

I like the one you linked to and it's a great price given how much a lot of the ortho beds/mattresses are. The one we got from our local pet store for Molly is more like this one:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=8702

Molly's normal sleeping spot is in bed with us so we really only needed a bed for the same amount of time that she had to be kept in the x-pen. Also, our bed is pretty low to the ground to begin with and we removed the feet to make it even lower and have wound up keeping it this way even though she's all healed up now.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:11 am

We just carried Roscoe up and down the stairs to bed, he's only 46 pounds so he's not all that heavy to carry up and down the stairs. Of course we had to sleep with his donut on since he would lick the incision if I took it off, but that was only for the two weeks his staples were in. The first couple of days after his surgery he slept downstairs in his crate, but he was very unhappy and we didn't get any sleep, so we decided it would be better to just carry him up and down.
I got him an inexpensive orthopedic pet bed from Petsmart, which might be an option for you if you don't think it'll get used much. The top of it has a fuzzy top, which Susie liked to scuff up, so I have my doubts about its longevity.
There are some on Amazon that look really nice and have good reviews you might consider.
http://www.amazon.com/Orthopedic-Memory ... 358&sr=1-1

Flibgit
Matured Bully

Postby Flibgit » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:14 pm

We removed our mattress from our bed frame for our dog's knee surgery. That way he could sleep with us and still not jump on or off the bed.

We also bought him a crib mattress from Shop-ko for about $30. He seemed to think our bed was the better option.

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:46 pm

I guess I just envision him as being so fragile after the surgery, I would want to risk him getting hurt in our bed. I have been known to accidentally kick him in my sleep and I've woken up to his entire body under my fiance's legs on more than one occasion. Also, once in a blue moon he will jump off if he is startled by something to go investigate happenings by the door or window. It's rare, but it would only take one jump to cause damage.

I may crate him in our bedroom so he can still hear us and see us and I can make sure he's doing okay. He does sleep in his crate in the living room in the winter when it's cool. But in the summer, he sleeps with us and we only run the AC on one floor. Being that it's summer, that's what he's used to. But I am getting next to no sleep with his shenanigans anyway.

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:43 pm

I have that bed, it's awesome! I originally purchased it a few years ago for my elderly lab who had bad arthritis and hip problems. She loved it and slept comfortably on it every night when she reached the point of not being able to get on and off the human bed. When she passed away this spring the bed was taken over by my 9 year old shar-pei mix.

The cover comes off and washes easily, and overall it is holding up very well - not going flat like you sometimes see with the lower quality beds. If intended for a crate, be careful with measurements and I would suggest erring on the smaller side if necessary. For senior and post-surgery dogs I highly recommend it! :thumbsup:

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”