Dirty Petco?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Dirty Petco?

Postby BigBadPibbul » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:32 am

Have any of you ever been into a PetCo and found buggy products or the place was just dirty?

The one here is gross. You can pick up the bones, the meaty kind in the cellophane, and other natural treats that come wrapped, if you shake them the wrapper will fill up with bugs that have gotten down between the bits of meaty and the bone itself or up into the cavity in cut bones. I alerted a manager the first few times I noticed this but it seems to be a normal thing at this store.
I refuse to buy dry dog food, dry cat food, or bird food there anymore because I've gotten several bags that were just loaded to the gills with tiny maggot looking caterpillars that turn into those obnoxious little 1/2 inch long skinny moths that get everywhere.
Sometimes the support pillars for the roof, the ends of the shelving and other upright fixtures have obviously been peed on quite a few times without being cleaned up, one even had a crust of dried minerals from being peed on frequently.
A bag of kitty litter had a hard corner from being peed on, didn't notice till I got it home that the one corner was still slightly damp. That one can be chalked up to stuff happens and I should have paid more attention. But still...
When I lived in Colorado Springs the PetCo stores were just fine, never a buggy bag of kibble, no bugs in the natural treats. No pee crusties on the upright stuff.
Have any of you guys seen this kind of stuff at PetCo stores or is the one here just the poo in the flower bed?

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Re: Dirty Petco?

Postby Savage Destiny » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:39 am

Ours is really gross too. Not as bad as what you're describing, but it always stinks in there. There's always some sort of broken bag with kibble on the floor, or poo/pee on the floor and products. Everything is just dingy and gross. :(

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:46 am

I've noticed that they vary a lot in cleanliness ... some are downright filthy, but others are pristine ... never visited one that was so bad that there were bugs or pee stains, though! yikes. i'd definitely complain to corporate.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:09 pm

I rarely shop in the chain pet stores. I order pretty much everything for my pets online with the exception of the turtles food (because I haven't found it cheap enough) and an occasional thing here and there. The petco by my house is pretty clean, but I have never really bought food or that type of stuff there. Just occasional aquarium things or turtle stuff that I need right away.

It sounds like they have an issue ordering and the stuff is sitting around. Once you get those bugs and moths it is horribly hard to get rid of them.

So much easier and cheaper to just order online roflmao

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Dirty Petco?

Postby Stormi » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:26 pm

I flat out refuse to set foot into a petco. A couple years back I went into one (and yes, a dirty one at that) needing to pick up some spray shield because I was working with a client with a reactive dog and wanted a good back-up plan incase we encountered any persistant off-leashers. I searched around and couldn't find anything, so I asked a couple of staff who didn't know and pointed me to the manager. The store manager and I got into a nice little argument upon her suggestion that I'm a horrible dog-abusing person who she can't believe is asking for such an inhumane product because "we don't HURT dogs here!". I couldn't help but point out the irony that she was standing next to a huge rack of shock collars and Cesar videos as I headed out the door. I sent an email to corporate informing them of her hostile behavior and let them know I wouldn't be returning and never heard anything back.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:16 pm

UGH Petco-nasty, nasty, nasty!!!!!
There were two Petcos in my area and they used to be very clean, but in the past 5 or so years they became filthy. They both closed down in the spring and I will not miss them
I did see all that you sae/posted, plus they were over run with mice. Every bag of food I checked had lots of pee and so much mouse poop on them it was disguisting. Many had torn cornors and mice had made nests in them inside the bags of food or inbetween the large bags of dog food. (and boy did they stink).
I sent a couple emails but never got any replies either.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:21 pm

Interesting! The PetCo I have been to in SF was clean. They remodeled it a couple years back and I haven't been since then. The PetsMart nearby is always kinda gross and also I always feel like they are mid-remodel or something with dusty fixtures and empty shelves and dusty products. There is another one a little further away that is clean and visually appealing, organized, helpful, neat, etc. Doesn't seem limited to the chains-- there was a mom n pop petstore here that was nasty inside, dirty, dusty, creepy old expired looking products, but they closed shop. Old fixtures or an old building aren't always fixable, but there is no reason to be dusty, dirty, stinky, anything that some love and elbow grease and cleaner can't fix...

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:52 pm

Yeah our Petco is clean including the new 'Unleashed' store. There is always the occasional dead fish but nothing down right nasty. Yikes!! That yours is so bad. I'm Sure a lt of it has to do with the management too. Just like grocery stores.

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:31 pm

The last time I was in one that was filthy I came home and sent an e-mail to corporate, and included the mapquest directions showing them how short a drive I had to three other competitor stores.

I heard back in short order and received a personalized apology (it was clearly not a form letter) and a coupon.

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:58 pm

The PetCos I go to here seem pretty clean. I've only seen a dry pee stain once and as soon as I pointed it out someone cleaned it up right away.

That said, I won't buy treats from the open bins because I've found bugs several times once I got them home. I always returned them and got an apology. I buy dry food there and never had contaminated food.

On the other hand, the PetSmart near me does have a cleanliness problem - people not cleaning up after pets mostly. It seems a bit better now I suspect because they hired more help. For a while there there would only be a cashier and manager in the store. I won't buy food there because they were selling food that made Peanut sick and when I went to PetCo I realized the food had been recalled. They were still selling it at PetSmart.

I keep an eagle eye on Peanut - if there is any kind of previous uncleaned up pee activity she'll want to mark over it. So I really look for it.

CSilverman89
Forum Junky

Postby CSilverman89 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:19 pm

Funny, down here it's the opposite.

PETCO's are VERY clean, Petsmarts are absolutely disgusting. It depends on the GM of ANY store PERIOD as to whether a store is kept up on.

Scarsmommy
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Scarsmommy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:00 pm

We just went for the first time to our local Petco this past weekend. And it was pretty clean and had great prices. The Petsmart we usually go to is also a fairly new one so I guess we just lucked out with clean stores.

laceybaby
Newborn Bully

Postby laceybaby » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:55 am

The Petco near me has clean products, shelves, etc...but the small animal cages are always really filthy and I've seen a dead hamster/mouse/rat every time I've been there! I prefer to not go to Petco.

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:31 pm

The Petco near out house and in Collierville(a nicer area) is very clean and nice. Now the Petcos in the not so great areas of Memphis, are dirty and the staff is awful. So it really just depends on the store.

We hardly ever go to Petco anymore though. We either get our dogs stuff online or at Hollywood Feed.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:12 pm

Ok, remembering this post... Yesterday we went to a Petco I've never been to. What a mess!

I would not say it was dirty like "ewwww gross" but it was so messy and I could not find the prices of half the stuff. Very frustrating.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”