spring pole question...

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
MkatUmich
Newborn Bully

spring pole question...

Postby MkatUmich » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:09 am

so I put together a spring pole in the backyard, it's just a spring and some rope with an old bike tire on the end right now. I'll probably tinker some more with it. Question is, how strong a spring should I use? I put a real stiff spring with a working strength of something like 90 lbs, it's a real challenge to pull. I didn't want Gauge (63 lbs) breaking it but i'm wondering if something with some more give would entertain him more. Starry as usual doesn't seem interested, still hasn't gotten toys down. Suggestions?

spammie

Re: spring pole question...

Postby spammie » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:42 am

I used a garage door spring. It lasted a long, long time

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:51 am

We use a garage spring as well and they've done really well...even with the Florida weather. I'll see if I have a picture...

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:10 am

We used to have it set up like this (see in the background)...and that didn't last.

A video of Trooper and Bailey (Trooper is rarely ever on the rope):
http://s687.photobucket.com/albums/vv234/jamielvsaustin/?action=view&current=Jan42010283.mp4
And another video...the video is of the dogs playing but you can see the spring pole set up...I can't believe I don't have actual pictures of it.
http://s687.photobucket.com/albums/vv234/jamielvsaustin/?action=view&current=Jan42010290.mp4

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:49 am

We use garage door springs but they break at least once a year so we make sure there is a backup rope attached so the dogs don't get killed.

Last edited by lilangel on Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:50 am

What do you mean Vin, and do you have a picture of your back up? How would the dog die? Wouldn't the spring just snap and then fall to the ground?

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:00 am

When I've actually seen spring snap it is usually under very heavy load with a dog pulling with their full weight and really stretching the spring out. The force of the spring when it snaps is pretty intense and could do serious damage if it hit the dog in the eyes, mouth, thorax, who knows. It's a 3-5 lb chunk of steel being propelled at god knows how much velocity? Our springpoles are usually quite high so maybe it would be worse for us than for someone with a lower setup?

MkatUmich
Newborn Bully

Postby MkatUmich » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:04 pm

lilangel wrote:When I've actually seen spring snap it is usually under very heavy load with a dog pulling with their full weight and really stretching the spring out. The force of the spring when it snaps is pretty intense and could do serious damage if it hit the dog in the eyes, mouth, thorax, who knows. It's a 3-5 lb chunk of steel being propelled at god knows how much velocity? Our springpoles are usually quite high so maybe it would be worse for us than for someone with a lower setup?

that spring pole has alot more give then the one I have, i'll probably go out and get a weaker spring. Also good idea on tieing it off in case it breaks. My rope is more then long enough I can just loop the end over the tree branch so if the spring breaks it's hanging by the rope.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:30 am

I use a inner tube for a bike tire. I'm on my phone and my computer isn't working. If you search my username in this section I have posted pics of my set up quite a few times.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”