Need harness help for serious puller!

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Need harness help for serious puller!

Postby MissKitty » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:40 am

Stormi wrote:Rewarding for a loose leash, attention and one of these...http://www.wonderwalkerbodyhalter.com/... will do the trick quite nicely.

I second this, I LOVE my WonderWalker.

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:54 am

calimonster wrote:I got a martingale collar and tried it on our evening walk. Just to be safe, I still put her harness on her. I'm sure we looked weird.. I had a leash on the collar and used a longer lead on the harness so I could keep slack in it but still use it as a backup. I hate that she would choke and cough but even after a few minutes, I think she was getting the idea. But I could almost see the wheels turning while she was trying to figure out how to get out of it. Thanks and I will gladly takeany more ideas or suggestions.

We use a harness and martingale on Peanut when we take her to places where there is a lot of excitement or on a long car trip because she has backed out of her harness. She doesn't run tho. We have an attachment between her martingale and the harness and the leash is attached directly to the harness. I might eventually get a 2 ended leash and use that.

For Peanut we took her to obedience and every time i walked her I stopped & changed direction. DH walked her and rattled the leash and told her to slow down. It's a wonder she learned anything! She doesn't pull hardly at all now.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:13 am

Read some of the training links posted, you can't rely on hardware to fix training issues.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Graham
Newborn Bully

Postby Graham » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:09 pm

I have consulted with several trainers and have also worked with several trainers as well. I do recommend using a prong collar for those strong pullers. HOWEVER, there is only 1 brand that is recommended (Sprenger, Made in GERMANY). The use of this particular prong collar will NOT cause any irritation or harm to your dog's neck. However, using any other brand will harm your dog (as the prong I initially bought was NOT a Sprenger).

A prong collar should NOT be mistaken for a choke collar. Prong collars are NOT choke collars.

Here is a lengthy informational video about prong collars:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3iczULPcdE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:09 pm

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:53 pm

Graham wrote:The use of this particular prong collar will NOT cause any irritation or harm to your dog's neck. However, using any other brand will harm your dog (as the prong I initially bought was NOT a Sprenger).
Well that's a pile of BS... Sprenger collars are exactly the same as any other collars, they are just made from stronger materials so they don't break that easily.

As an owner of a serious puller I can tell you absolutely NO tool out there will make your dog pull any less on a leash, at least not permanently which is what is usually the goal to reach. There's no need for prong collars, they are made to be painful for the dog, every one of them, even Sprengers. The ONLY thing that will make a serious puller stop pulling is TRAINING the dog not to pull. Any the best way to do it is by being patient, working with your dog and rewarding him for good behaviour. There's no need to hurt a dog to make him stop pulling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFgtqgiAKoQ

Graham
Newborn Bully

Postby Graham » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:23 am

Enigma wrote:Well that's a pile of BS... Sprenger collars are exactly the same as any other collars, they are just made from stronger materials so they don't break that easily.

As an owner of a serious puller I can tell you absolutely NO tool out there will make your dog pull any less on a leash, at least not permanently which is what is usually the goal to reach. There's no need for prong collars, they are made to be painful for the dog, every one of them, even Sprengers. The ONLY thing that will make a serious puller stop pulling is TRAINING the dog not to pull. Any the best way to do it is by being patient, working with your dog and rewarding him for good behaviour. There's no need to hurt a dog to make him stop pulling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFgtqgiAKoQ

I strongly disagree. At this very moment I have 2 prong collars hanging in my home. 1 is the Sprenger and the other is a prong collar made from Petco. They are very different. I was told that the Petco Prong Collar should NOT be used on any dog because it causes pain. In addition, all the prongs were facing the same way, which can cause the prong to rotate around the neck, causing pain and irritation on the dog's neck. The Sprenger is very very very different. It is very obviously looking at the 2 prong collars that they are not made alike. The Sprenger has prongs that are very dull and rounded. They are also designed to point in both directions, causing pressure, not pain.

I was "pulled" by both of these prong collars, and I can tell you they are very different. I have seen many prong collars and the only one I would ever recommend is the Sprenger. Anything else is simply not designed safely for your dog. Prongs can only "pinch" so far, they have a stopper (unlike choke chains, which have no stopper and I would never recommend).

This gentlemen explains features of the prong collar very well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nibaQnS44FE

Every owner needs to make their own judgement on what they feel is best for their dog. Not everyone will agree.

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:32 pm

Graham wrote:I was told that the Petco Prong Collar should NOT be used on any dog because it causes pain.

All prongs, no matter the brand, work because they cause pain. If they didn't cause pain, the dog wouldn't want to avoid the pain, which can be done if he stops pulling. That's the basic science of them. You can use them if you want (I wish you wouldn't) but don't tell people some hurt and others don't. That's just not true.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”