Microchip concern: Have I done enough?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
calimonster
Newborn Bully

Postby calimonster » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:21 pm

I took cali to one of the luv my pets clinics at petco to have her shots (couldn't pass up the price). So I opted to have her microchipped just in case.
She got her vaccinations and they put in the microchip. She did great! But when they scanned her to make sure the chip registered, another one showed up. We got her as a rescue and had no idea she was already chipped. We wrote down the number and I went online to Home Again to register her new number. I put in the other number to check the status and it showed that there was nothing active on the chip. I searched another site (a recommendation that came up on home again as the most likely user of that chip) and nothing showed up. I went back to home again and also registered that number too (had to pay double but I don't care) with the same info.

My questions is this: should I do anything else to make sure that if she is ever lost and scanned to ensure that she gets to me? I want to make sure all the bases are covered in case someone would scan closer to one shoulder than the other and get the old number. I understand the basics of the microchipping process but didn't know that there were different providers until today.

On a separate note, I kinda figured that they would have scanned her before putting in a new chip but I didn't ask so I suppose that's partially my fault. I hate to have to pay for 2 memberships every year but I will do what I have to if it means getting her back to me.

MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Microchip concern: Have I done enough?

Postby MissKitty » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:00 am

What chip did you have her chipped with?

My dog has two chips, the one which the shelter provided is an ISO chip, which many shelters around here don't have scanners for.
So I had him chipped again with AVID.

I would take your dog into your local shelter and ask for them to scan and make sure they are picking up on both the chips.

And then I would continue to pay for both chips, if a shelter/vet scans and gets one chip, they are not going to go searching for another.

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:33 am

When you scan for chips, you're supposed to scan the whole body, not just between the shoulder blades, so hopefully if the scanners are working, both chips will regularly be picked up. I've scanned dogs and found as many as three chips in one dog before, one between the shoulder blades where they are implanted, one sort of over the left shoulder, and another all the way in the front of the dog's chest.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:35 am

Backups chip is down the arm, almost in the armpit and it is a very long number done by the breeder and many scanners miss it. We've considered rechipping him so not one misses it if he's scanned.

Zagari
Addicted to PBF

Postby Zagari » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:32 pm

I scanned a dog once and found the chip in the middle of his chest. Two other people scanned him and found nothing. After two weeks being at the shelter, he went home. They do migrate, so like everyone said, scan the whole body.

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:26 pm

If both chips are registered to you, you should be ok. The people putting in the chip are supposed to scan BEFORE as well as after chipping!

Just FYI for people that may not know: a scanner can only pick up one chip at a time, and if someone at a shelter is scanning and picks up a chip, they probably won't re-scan on the very small chance there is another chip in there. So in your situation it is very important to do what you did and make sure every chip is registered to you... otherwise someone could pick up the unregistered chip and not know there was another one in there.

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:14 am

We also recommend scanning multiple times, with different scanners.

MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:42 pm

Amie wrote:We also recommend scanning multiple times, with different scanners.

I wish it was like that here :(

Our county only has one scanner (and it doesn't work on ISO chips, even though the next county over chips all their dogs with ISO) and only does one quick scan over the shoulder blades.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”