Saltwater approved collars?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
AbbyGirl352
Super Bully

Saltwater approved collars?

Postby AbbyGirl352 » Wed May 02, 2012 8:48 pm

I recently ruined 2 of my favorite collarmania collars by taking them to the beach. (rusty hardware and the color of the fabrics has faded greatly)
Does anyone use Dublin Dog Collars? Or can suggest a collar the dogs can wear in the ocean?

Zagari
Addicted to PBF

Re: Saltwater approved collars?

Postby Zagari » Fri May 04, 2012 10:46 pm

Have you thought about buying a cheap collar to use just at the beach?

I was really concerned about the saltwater when I was visiting FL in January. As soon as we got back to camp, I took my pup's gear straight to the laundry mat.

Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Postby Shutterwolf » Sat May 05, 2012 5:28 am

I use a cheap TopPaw collar at the beach, and it has survived just fine. No way in hell will I let her wear the expensive leather one in the water lol

gooeydog

Postby gooeydog » Sun May 06, 2012 5:08 pm

My little rat-dogs (Haley avoids water at all costs) have beta/biothane collars they wear for pretty much all occasions. I got mine here: Beta / Biothane . They have one of each. The regular biothane are stiffer, so I prefer the beta ones, they are nice and supple, look and feel like leather. I can't keep any sort of nice nylon or leather collar on Bus especially, he'll be in the swamp daily from about now until November, and will be getting hosed off/bathed just about as much, so these are a nice compromise, and cheap as well. Every so often, I'll take it off when I'm washing them and give it a good scrub, then put it right back on. I recently encountered someone else who had one of the same collars for his duck hunting dog (lab), and said she's been wearing it since he got it last spring without issue.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sun May 06, 2012 5:23 pm

AbbyGirl352 wrote:Does anyone use Dublin Dog Collars? Or can suggest a collar the dogs can wear in the ocean?

I use Dublin collars, but I don't go to the beach that often.It is far and dealing with stupid people and their off leash dogs is not my idea of a fun weekend. That said, my Dublin collars have lasted through pool chlorine no problem, and the occasional ocean time, so far. I also used biothane for my dock jumping dog, last year, and had no issues.

My Sneaky use a Dublin collar when she is in the pool, which is about every day in the summer time.That brown Dublin collar was broken by another dog, through grabbing, or it would have been still here, I think:

Biothane collar with handle and leash, love it so far.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Sun May 06, 2012 8:55 pm

I've never tried biothane but I do let Molly get in salt water with her leather collar – it is latigo leather though so it's tanned with a lot of natural oils and I condition the leather every so often with oil. Brass hardware holds up better to water but always important to check your hardware every so often regardless of what it is made of.

I've handled quite a few leather collars worn by dogs who go swimming in the ocean and while it may not seem like the right material, if it's the right kind of leather and you take care of it properly, it should hold up fine.

I do like the Dublin dog collars as I have seen them in action on Sneaky and the boys over at Val's house.

AbbyGirl352
Super Bully

Postby AbbyGirl352 » Sun May 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Red wrote: dealing with stupid people and their off leash dogs is not my idea of a fun weekend.

Actually going in the middle of the week, I have only run into one other dog.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I like the look of the Dublin collars, but I worry about the constant use and salt water rusting the hardware. I will looking into the other collars.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”