Harness or no harness?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
athenasmom
Newborn Bully

Harness or no harness?

Postby athenasmom » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:42 pm

Hello
I was told it is best to have your pitbull use a harness from the start, just wondering what the members of the board reccomends?

Curly_07

Re: Harness or no harness?

Postby Curly_07 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:50 pm

Most of us here recommend using a flat collar and teaching proper leash skills. However, if your dog has throat or trachea issues, a harness would obviously be better suited.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MarMar » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:21 am

For a puppy, I like harnesses, ideally a front clip. Eventually they can graduate to a flat collar if you like. I just like to avoid having dogs strain against their necks and this is more common in puppies and young dogs.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:13 am

MarMar wrote:For a puppy, I like harnesses, ideally a front clip. Eventually they can graduate to a flat collar if you like. I just like to avoid having dogs strain against their necks and this is more common in puppies and young dogs.

But pulling or straining on a front clip harness pushes the shoulders out of alignment and causes shoulder issues. Our local dog physical therapist hates them for that reason because she treats so many shoulder injuries due to them. So what's the difference?

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:28 pm

Harness for what, though? Leash training? Weight pulling?

athenasmom
Newborn Bully

Postby athenasmom » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:44 pm

leash training and walking

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MarMar » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:28 pm

Savage Destiny wrote:
MarMar wrote:For a puppy, I like harnesses, ideally a front clip. Eventually they can graduate to a flat collar if you like. I just like to avoid having dogs strain against their necks and this is more common in puppies and young dogs.

But pulling or straining on a front clip harness pushes the shoulders out of alignment and causes shoulder issues. Our local dog physical therapist hates them for that reason because she treats so many shoulder injuries due to them. So what's the difference?

Sorry, I've never heard this. That's too bad. I do know there is scientific evidence showing that collars can be damaging from constant pressure. Perhaps a regular harness would be better.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:58 am

MarMar wrote:
Savage Destiny wrote:

Sorry, I've never heard this. That's too bad. I do know there is scientific evidence showing that collars can be damaging from constant pressure. Perhaps a regular harness would be better.

I had never heard of it before until talking to the PT. But once she mentioned it, I started paying attention to dogs wearing them, and she's totally right. The chest straps go right across the shoulders, and if the dog pulls it pushes the shoulders into weird positions.

r1balla
Newborn Bully

Postby r1balla » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:02 am

ive had Roxy on a harness ever since i got her. shes 1 year old now and still on it. choke collar is always on her. Leash training has been a breeze for me, even on the harness. I have some of her kibble in my pocket. i start the walk by telling her to sit and give her one. then we walk.... if she pulls at all, i change direction. then she gets the idea and starts to look at me to see where im going. once she looks up at me, i reward her. this keeps her super close to my left side close to my feet.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”