Break Sticks & Usage

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
Amie

Break Sticks & Usage

Postby Amie » Thu May 30, 2013 12:00 pm

Does anyone know of any good training videos for break sticks? And who has the best prices/quality?

jamielvsaustin

Re: Break Sticks & Usage

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu May 30, 2013 12:41 pm

I don't know the quality of the product because I've never used one, but PBRC sells them and seems to have a pretty good "info" section on them.
http://www.pbrc.net/breaksticks.html

How to Break Up a Fight
If one of the dogs has a grip, it’s time to use a break stick.

It is best if there are two people to break up a fight, but you can do it by yourself if you have no choice. If both dogs are fighting and you are alone, you might need to tie one of the dogs to something solid. When one of the dogs is tied up, you must "break" the one that is not tied first, and pull him/her off right away.

Walk over to the dogs, straddle one that has a hold, and then lock your legs around the dog's hips just in front of the hindquarters. Make sure your legs are locked securely around the dog. Your break stick will be in one hand, so with your free hand, grab your dog firmly by his collar and pull upward slightly.

Insert your breaking stick behind the molars where the gap is found. Sometimes you need to work the stick in just a bit if the gap is small. The stick should be inserted from ½ to 1½ inches into the dog's mouth.

Turn the stick as if you're twisting the throttle of a motorcycle. This action will cause the dog to readjust its grip, and it will bite onto the stick, releasing the other dog. If both dogs have a hold, you will then have to break the second dog from the first.

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu May 30, 2013 12:54 pm

Thanks!

Also wondering about any stats (likely there are none) or info about the likelihood that using a breakstick affects the chance that a human will get bit in a fight.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Fri May 31, 2013 2:04 am

Amie, there are some old videos in the sticky in the training part of the forum, not sure that is what you are looking for though.

I don't know of any stats but, from experience that also involved also using a breaking stick on dogs I did not know personally, I can say that I have never been bitten. Generally speaking, the dog holding is in full fight drive and is only focused on the other dog. There can be a switch of hold but in most cases the dog does not leave the hold to purposely target hands.Scraping or a bite can potentially happen if the person has his/her hands in front of the dogs mouth when there is a re-grip, or in the middle of the chaos, but the stick should only be used when a dog is on hold. In that case, the human hand should be on the side of the dogs mouth, with dog in between the knees.Both dogs holding and one person alone is trickier, of course.
I keep sticks that are made of high impact nylon, that cost $10 each, and that is reasonably priced. Here is what they look like:

They are from O'Brien's supplies.

Amie

Postby Amie » Fri May 31, 2013 6:37 am

Thanks, Red.

We're looking into them (and other things) as emergency training for work, so while I'd be comfortable teaching someone else how to do it, I'd need a training video that was work safe, and clear enough both in quality and technical explanation to use as a training video for adult staff with moderate through excellent dog skills. We fortunately have enough other steps in place that they will likely never become necessary, but we also like to keep options open and be educated as thoroughly as possible.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Fri May 31, 2013 7:35 pm

I have the PBRC sticks, but they are very big and bulky. I've seen the O'briens ones at dog shows, and they look like they'd be much more unwieldy to use. And i think the vids Val posted in training are good and very all-audiences-safe! That's my only .02 on the topic!

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:10 am

Addin: realized that my first reply is not clear. I think O'briens would be easier to use. PBRC sticks are good and im glad to have them, but the O'briens look lighter and less bulky/easier to handle. Sorry for lack of clarity.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:52 pm

BabyReba wrote:Addin: realized that my first reply is not clear. I think O'briens would be easier to use. PBRC sticks are good and im glad to have them, but the O'briens look lighter and less bulky/easier to handle. Sorry for lack of clarity.

Good thing you clarified that, was not sure what you meat to say! I gave my extras to owners who did not have any so I am ordering a few more. Message me you address on FB, will send you one.

Amie, if your work place work is particularly pit bull friendly (think it is) I'd be happy to send you guys 4 to keep around, as a donation. Let me know as soon as possible, so I can place an order.

Ntchwaidumela
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Ntchwaidumela » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:45 am

Hiya Amie-

See if this thread helps.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=157373

N

Ntchwaidumela
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Ntchwaidumela » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:02 am

D'OH!!

I just realized I replied to a thread that is several months old,

But just in case you or others are looking for a good breaking/parting stick, please check out this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=124891&hilit=break+sticks

N

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”