Chain link backyard fencing solution for DA dog

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
Matured Bully

Chain link backyard fencing solution for DA dog

Postby Maverick » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:48 am

I'm looking at buying a house *yay*, and in this changing market I can't be picky about a house already having a privacy fence. Many in fact have 4 foot chain link. I have never had Maverick in a chain link yard and I can't have issues.
He's very defensive reactive and I can't have him rushing the fences looking like a mean pit bull, especially if moving into a new neighborhood. Plus, personally, I don't want fingers going in my fence from outside my property. I have other dogs that will be with him (he's DA outside of my pack) and I just see it as a liability.

So a privacy fence is very expensive, I may have to get a house before I can afford a fence. What can I do about the chain link? I'm concerned about him seeing through, and the height being 4'. I do NOT know if he is a climber, but he's defensive and more than likely wouldn't scale a fence to chase something he freaks at, but IDK.

Any suggestions? I may build a small run in the back so he can be "quarantined" if there are issues, or to break him in a bit to surroundings.

This situation is new to me, and any advice is helpful.
Trying to be a good owner and neighbor :)

Re: Chain link backyard fencing solution for DA dog

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:07 pm

I see this stuff around pretty often. I just googled chain link fence slats and a bunch of different things came up.

Also, lots of people will put bushes or vines right next to the fence so that it blocks the view-and some times grows higher than the fence-this is what the owners of my old foster dog have done (they're really big into landscaping)...but if your fence isn't 6 feet or higher-I wouldn't risk leaving your dog out there for long periods of time unsupervised. Having bushes/vines might block him/her visually but it probably also makes it easier to climb over. You could do a visual barrier and some sort of tie out/chain spot (just make sure the dog can't reach any part of the fence-there was a member here who's dog jumped the fence while on a tie out and hung himself).

Postby Amie » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:21 pm

I'd do the green slats, and plants where appropriate, and probably have him tethered when he's in the yard too. Better safe than sorry.

Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby AmberD » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:20 pm

Definitely tether. I bought a house with the acre backyard fenced in, thinking it would be fantastic for my dogs. It was, until my pit bull mix discovered one day - whilst chasing a small critter - that she could clear the chainlink fence and then explore the neighborhood until I managed to catch up with her. She's now got a decent-length trolley set up, which is disappointing. My Akita has fence-charging issues, so he's always had to be tethered along with the fence. My senior pit bull (who has since passed) was the only one who was able to fully enjoy the freedom of the big backyard. I'd love to get privacy fencing, but the thought of having to fence an acre makes me queasy lol

Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:18 pm

There are some really good fence ideas on this page Red posted on Facebook. ... nce-fixes/

Super Bully

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:19 pm

We have "winged" fence slats on the one side of our house that faces a relatively busy (for a small town) street. My dogs don't even bother trying to see thru... ... dslats.jpg

Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:56 pm

Before I could afford my privacy fence I had a 4' chain link. I lined the inside of the fence with tarps. I zip tied the tarps to the chain link. It eliminated any way to fence fight. It actually looked pretty decent. I did my best to not make it look trashy.

I always go out with Khan and he has always been good with boundaries and never attempted to go over or under the fence. I'm pretty sure somewhere on here are pics from when I did it. I can try and find some if you need.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”