Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
Newborn Bully

Postby Graham » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:23 pm

I am very new to this forum and I have a pit bull who has extremely short hair but sheds an aweful lot!!! I have had her less than a month. I was looking into ways to help curb the shedding somehow. I saw the furminator. I know nothing about it (except that it's very expensive). Opinions please!!!! Thanks! :doggie:

Addicted to PBF

Re: FURminator

Postby mtlu » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:15 am

I would consider some other things before reaching for a Furminator - I'm sure it's a great tool but seems a bit overkill for a breed with short single coat.

Does her skin also seem dry, potentially flaky? You mentioned she has been with you for only a month, did she come from a different area (climate)? Are you using a heater in the house often? What kind of food is she eating? I think exploring environmental and nutritional factors first would be a good idea. You might want to make a post in the Health section of the forum. I supplement my dog's kibble with kelp and fish oil - both of which contribute to healthy skin and coat and I know others on the forum supplement with other oils.

As for a grooming tool, I use a rubber Zoom groom brush and a sometimes a flea comb when my dog needs a brushing. The zoom groom is also what we use when she gets a bath.

Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:53 am

I'm totally sold on Zoom Grooms, mine works fantastic for both my German Shepherd cross and my Pit Bull mix :)

Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:19 am

Ditto on the zoom grooms. My dogs love being brushed with them too, I think it feels like a massage to them. I do think salmon oil helps too.

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”