Starter muzzle?

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
taurustendency
Newborn Bully

Starter muzzle?

Postby taurustendency » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:31 pm

I've been checking out the search results for "muzzle" on here and haven't come across what I'm looking for. Admittedly I haven't read through all 2000+ posts, so please direct me if I didn't see it.

I'm wondering if anyone could suggest a cheap, useless muzzle for a puppy. At this point, Lego doesn't need a muzzle, and has shown no signs of aggression...but I do want to start getting him used to one now, while he is still a pup. I would rather teach him now, than to have to throw it all at him at an older age.

So it doesn't need to be anything rugged or intense. Just something small, that's cheap enough to pretty much be disposable, once he outgrows it. I did a quick googling for "puppy" muzzles, and found some, but they are all for the long, skinny muzzled dogs. When I search for pitt bull specifically, I only find adult stuff. I'm about to start making my own out of a solo cup or something. Like I said, it doesn't need to be functional in any way, I just want to get him used to the idea of it.

I just recently found out that my town has bsl, despite doing my homework first. I found our city codes online and the pit laws were not listed. And our local shelter has pitties for adoption all the time. Between those two things, I thought everything was cool. Until, a recent facebook post from the police department stated some new changes regarding all animals. Everyone flipped out over the changes...And then they posted again clarifying, that the changes are not at all new, they just hadn't updated the city ordinances yet. And since the codes have now been updated for all to see, they are actually going to take enforcement more seriously. So I checked the codes, and you guessed it... pit bulls are one of the updates. The codes state that they were put into effect in 2007, but they haven't updated online until now!

But, I live out in the country, so many of the laws do not apply to me. What does apply is that I now know Lego must be muzzled when we are within city limits. I'm disappointed, because I planned to go to the park a lot. However, I will do what it takes to abide by the law, and keep the community feeling safe. I plan to join the fight against bsl in my town, but for now, I think it's time to start getting Lego desensitized to a muzzle.

So any suggestions on a starter muzzle would be great! Thanks!!

Cat24
Adolescent Bully

Re: Starter muzzle?

Postby Cat24 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:03 pm

Just buy a small soft muzzle from the pet store, cheap, fairly comfortable and it's just a piece of nylon and mesh so when he out grows it, no big deal. If it's too long in the muzzle, just cut to size and tape or fray stop the cut edge

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:40 am

I prefer basket muzzles. They allow the dog to pant and drink water, and are the muzzles used by racing greyhounds so for those who recognize them they can be less intimidating.

You can also feed soft food through the muzzle, so a big bowl of mashed up canned food while the muzzle is on can make it enjoyable for the dog.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:15 am

We were really satifisfied by the baskerville ultra muzzle. I'm pretty sure we got it at petsmart or petco...but I'm sure you can find it online. For us, we bought it for an adult dog and if I remember correctly he was a size 4. We choose that kind of muzzle over the mesh material for all of the reasons MissKiwi listed. We intended to use it while our dog was lure coursing. He was able to run and breathe perfectly in it. We would take it off of him once we took him off of the course and away from the dogs-but I think he would have been fine with it on.

taurustendency
Newborn Bully

Postby taurustendency » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:04 pm

Yeah I read in the other threads about how everyone seems to be loving the baskervilles. When he's done growing, I will surely get one of those, but for now, I was looking for something more disposable (for lack of a better word), just to get him used to the idea of it. I think I will just do what cat24 said for now.

I live exactly 7 miles from two towns. One with bsl and one without. So I know which direction we will be going on most occasions...and him actually having to wear it will be pretty rare. However, it would be nice to still have him trained for it ahead of time.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:00 am

taurustendency wrote:Yeah I read in the other threads about how everyone seems to be loving the baskervilles. When he's done growing, I will surely get one of those, but for now, I was looking for something more disposable (for lack of a better word), just to get him used to the idea of it. I think I will just do what cat24 said for now.

I live exactly 7 miles from two towns. One with bsl and one without. So I know which direction we will be going on most occasions...and him actually having to wear it will be pretty rare. However, it would be nice to still have him trained for it ahead of time.

Another option for training that is less restricting but still fits the face is a gentle leader.

I don't like cloth muzzles outside the vet clinic. It's too easy for dogs to overheat wearing them, they should only be used for short periods of time, and are not appropriate for wearing about town or on a walk.

taurustendency
Newborn Bully

Postby taurustendency » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:24 pm

Well this would be just for very short periods of time. Like I said, it's just to get him used to having a muzzle on his face. Once he is done growing, I will get a basket.

PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Postby PitbullLover* » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:01 pm

I would go for a mesh dog muzzle and use the treat in muzzle to teach him to wear it ;) keep it simple might want to even let him sleep with the muzzle just to let him get use to that funny thing lol

taurustendency
Newborn Bully

Postby taurustendency » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:18 pm

Yeah, I think I'm gonna order a cheapie online, because all the pet stores have are pricey ones that he will outgrow too quickly. Being part lab, he is growing like a monster! When we walk, sometimes i put the looped handle end of the leash around his muzzle. So far he really doesn't seem to care, unless I'm accidentally awkward with it.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:28 pm

For future reference, if you need one in the future, I really liked the leather muzzzles from hotdogalldressed. :)

taurustendency
Newborn Bully

Postby taurustendency » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:17 pm

Those mussels have the look of a Hannibal lector mask. Haha! They seem like good muzzles though. Thanks for the link! I've been bookmarking everything I come across on here.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:56 pm

taurustendency wrote:Those mussels have the look of a Hannibal lector mask. Haha! They seem like good muzzles though. Thanks for the link! I've been bookmarking everything I come across on here.

Mine was hot pink and was about the friendliest looking one I could find. It has nice, big holes in the bottom for passing treats. :)

MJ
Adolescent Bully

Postby MJ » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:32 pm

I just bought this muzzle in size 4, but i dunno if it's too small, it says he should be able to yawn in it and take treats, he can't do either it is snugg so i think maybe a 5? or is it supose to be real snug?

MJ
Adolescent Bully

Postby MJ » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:35 pm

i think the 5 is like 13'7 around and seems like that would be too big if measures just over 12?

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”