Product Reviews

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
moto1320

Product Reviews

Postby moto1320 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:14 pm

Thought I'd start a thread regarding the product quality and customer service that I have had with a few companies. Throw your rants and raves out there so we all know who deserves our hard earned bucks :). Hope this help some of us. I am an impatient bastard and don't do so well ordering online. Once I order and pay I am counting down the days. So speed and customer support are very important to me.

Blackjacks Leather: http://www.blackjacksleather.com

Products ended up taking about two weeks to get in. Twice as long as promised. Felt a little jerked around but Joe was cool about calling me and explaining that some personal setbacks had tied up the works. Got collar in and it was some of the best leatherwork I had seen. Very impressed with the quality and the fit couldn't have been more perfect if the dog had been there. It will probably outlast my dog. Credit card charge included the overnight shipping that was supposed to be picked up by them for lagging on my order, which drove the price up to unreasonable for a collar. Irritated over some of this but will definately use them again. Pricing was very fair for what I got (shipping issue not included in this statement). Heavy duty stuff.

Acme Kennel: http://www.acmeleather.com

Prices can't be beaten hands down. Quality leather work for less than the price of chain petstore nylon crap. Ordered a harness and a double handled leash. Order showed up very quickly. So quickly, that when combined with the fact that my harness was made a bit too big for my dog, I think that these aren't as made to order as they are made to seem. The quality wasn't as good as Blackjacks IMO but the products have held up very well and I got everything shipped for 10 bucks less than I paid for just a collar though those guys. I feel that I definately got more than I paid for. No gripes at all. Will use them again. Good people, good products.

Sporting Dog Collars: http://www.sportingcollars.com

Ordered a walkout collar and a standard collar. Very nice nylon products and a wide color selection. These guys f***ing suck. They were very hard to get ahold of. Took over two weeks to send me pre-made on the shelf collars. Sent them to the wrong address first despite my confirmation of the shipping address twice. They lied to me three times that the collars had been shipped out when they hadn't been and that there was no tracking number....which there was in the end. Did not return calls or e-mail. I like what I got but after this experience I won't use them again. I prefer double tongue collars anyway and wish I had used Blocky Dogs. For the money and the hassel it wasn't worth it at all. Had some cash in a Pay-Pal account and gave them a whirl since they accept Pay-Pal. Wish I hadn't.

Dogoutfitter.com: http://www.dogsoutfitter.com

Very cheap prices. Great company with good customer support. Ordered a dog bed, kennel bowls and some toys. Everything showed up quickly and has held up well. Will use them in the future. If something is backordered and can't be shipped in the same box, you aren't charged the extra shipping on a later date once it is in stock. Down side being they will hit your checking account or credit card for the product when it comes in stock, not when the intital order is placed. Depending on the price of the backorder it could screw you up if you don't remember to call and cancel it or keep the money available. Will order from them again.

Kong Company:

Doc shredded his Black Kong in no time. I dropped a line and they told me to send it back. They dropped me a check in the mail instead of 2 more Kongs as promised. I called back and said that Doc was very disappointed because he couldn't chew the check. They apologized, told me to cash it and sent me an Extra Large Kong and a Large one to stuff inside it to double layer it. Awesome people and customer support. Definately got me as a customer for life. Within the first 30 seconds of the conversation they were like "pitbull right" and laughed. I figuered that having this as a recurring problem with our block heads I figured they would weasel out of it, willfully letting all of the pitbulls and consequent warrenty claims gladly fall by the wayside. Extra popints for laughing it off and standing by thier product in the face of pitbull toy punishment. :thumbsup:
Last edited by moto1320 on Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:51 pm

i just ordered from blocky dog collars. good to here your review. thanks. as soon as i can afford the collar ill send a check.

blocky dog collars http://www.blockydogs.com placed an order but the only way to pay is via check or money order in mail. they also offer pay pal but with an additional fee to cover the fee paypal charges them. and, of course they dont start making the collar untill they recieve payment. so it seems you need patients to get a good product. im still going to go through with it.. and ill keep ya'all posted on the progress.

dr. foster and smith screw me. good customer service. quick dependable delivery. they did screw up the order and send me the wrong size harness. and the quality of some of their products is pretty piss poor. basically you just have to be careful what you order. med's, treats and familiar toys are fine but some of the other things just are crap. if there is a good price on things you're familiar with than go for it.
Last edited by damienApbt on Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby SKoth » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:40 am

Lupine
These guys make collars and leashes. I don't think that their porducts would be suitable for aggressive APBT or strong pullers to walk on. However, they do guarantee their stuff for life even if chewed! Sure enough my Mal chewed her's right off of herself. I put it in an envelope mailed it in - no questions asked they sent me a new one! I'll recommend them!

Knine Kountry
These guys sell chews like rawhide and bully sticks. The way that they treat (chemically) their products is top quality. They have the very very best prices around and shipped my order right away!

Kong
Well everyone here knows that everything kong rocks! I've had these bad boys for awhile and have never had a problem. Plus for as long as they last they are well worth the price.

Planet Dog
Planet Dog's "Orbee" ball is the best! My dogs just go absolutly nuts for it. Two problems though 1)They come off like Kongs, that they're guaranteed to last. But the truth is that they're not. So if your dog destroys it, it's on you. 2)It is destructable. They come it holes on the end and a dog can rip the ball through it. The globe design on the outside can also be ripped up by aggressive chewers. A great fetch toy, just don't leave your dog with it, their expensive.

I'll be back with more, it's late....

JessaNGizmo

Postby JessaNGizmo » Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:16 am

What a GREAT POST but one thing, How bout webistes? Id love to look at these sites and see if they have anything I would want. That would be great!! Thanks! :))

Laurier

Postby Laurier » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:19 am

Great post idea!

www.drsfostersmith.com

I've orderd from here a few times, I used to use their Joint Care product for Buster, its a good product but I hate paying shipping charges and I found K-9 liquid health glucosamine to be a better product and I can buy it at my local stores. I've also bought a couch throw from them, the quality is not that great for the price, and the back is not really slip resistant as they describe. Everything arrived in a timely manner, so I'm happy about that.

www.petedge.com

Great prices but you have to watch what your buying as quality is not that good sometimes. Some things I have bought and am happy with are Top Performance Oatmeal shampoo and "The Stuff" a really wonderfull conditioning treatment. I haven't bought any toys from there yet, but the prices are phenominal on them. Lola loves plush toys that she can destroy and you can get them here for as low as 79 cents. One big downfall is that unless you spend over $50 you get charged a $5.95 small order processing fee. Shipping is good though.

www.oyouluckydog.com

This site sells personalized bandanas. I ordered a Red Sox bandana for Buster. They were actually willing to embroider it with "Yankees Suck" but after some thought I decided it would be best to just have "Buster" embroidered on it. It did take a while for me to get my order, simply because they have to personalize the order then send it out. Shipping prices are good. Also you have to pay with paypal.

www.sitstay.com

I recently ordered Salmon Oil from here and the price was really good. I also ordered some treats called Honey Crunchers and they suck, the dogs don't care for them, and they are as hard as rocks. Shipping prices are good and I ordered on a Monday afternoon and recieved my order by Friday morning, which is pretty fast. I would order from here again.

I'm sure I've ordered from more places but I can't think of them right now. I have placed an order with pocketpit for collars for Buster and Lola and they are working on a design right now. Communication is great, I can't wait to see what they come up with for designs.

*edit to add*

www.boomerangtags.com
I just placed an order yesterday for new ID tags for Buster and Lola, I heard they are great. They use stainless steel not flimsy aluminum like the machines in Petco or Petsmart. They also have a lifetime garuntee if they ever wear down. Tags are 6.99 for one side and I think its an additional 1.25 to have the other side engraved as well, you can get a pretty good amount of info on the tags. And shipping is always free which is cool. I hoping to receive my order by Friday.

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:41 am

Cool, I'm glad you guys are taking the time to do this. I know it can be time consuming but if we can build this thing up I'll Sticky it so that everyone doesn't have to keep asking one another where they get things and why. I have so many damn links saved under pet supplies I can't remember why I have most of them. Put everything you can think of worth supporting, accessories, meds, toys, the whole nine.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:42 am

Great idea Moto. I haven't ordered pet products on line, having the store to order them through(and pay 10% over cost) makes it easy, sorta. Some of the better quality "bully friendly" products I will have to look into though.

hyperbole

Postby hyperbole » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:25 pm

http://www.morrco.com/

I recently bought Poplin this: http://www.morrco.com/latleatdogha.html. He's only had it for a week or so, so I can't say how it will hold out long term.....but it appears solid and very well built. It fits great (size medium, Poplin weighs in at a healthy 56lbs), and looks even better. Very regal in appearance... The item was shipped the very next day, UPS ground.. Good prices, great product, great service. My only complaint is that I wish the chest plate was a bit wider.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:30 pm

moto1320 wrote:Blackjacks Leather: www.blackjacksleather.com

Products ended up taking about two weeks to get in. Twice as long as promised. Felt a little jerked around but Joe was cool about calling me and explaining that some personal setbacks had tied up the works. Got collar in and it was some of the best leatherwork I had seen. Very impressed with the quality and the fit couldn't have been more perfect if the dog had been there. It will probably outlast my dog. Credit card charge included the overnight shipping that was supposed to be picked up by them for lagging on my order, which drove the price up to unreasonable for a collar. Irritated over some of this but will definately use them again. Pricing was very fair for what I got (shipping issue not included in this statement). Heavy duty stuff.

Couldn't agree with you more. It took a month for me to get my collar, and that was after I called him twice to ask him what was taking so long. He was very apologetic and said he would send it out the beginning of the next week. After another week passed, I called again and he said it had been shipped. When I told him I hadn't recieved it, he put me on hold; when he came back he said it was sitting right there :roll:
He had sent out the wrong package! Well, I finally got it three days later. It's an awesome collar, will probably last her lifetime, but it took a lifetime for it to get here!

texas pit stop

Postby texas pit stop » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:18 am

Thank you for the info and link to blackjack"s leather. I gotta have one of those harnesses for the "Doose"

jmann4

Postby jmann4 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:13 pm

bump.

pollypop

Postby pollypop » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:25 pm

Would it be possible to turn this into a sticky? I wanted to re-read some of the reviews and I had a hard time finding it, even with the search function.And people who missed the thread the first time around would never find it, buried in Misc. If it could be stickyfied, that would be awesome.

:thumbsup:

spane1

Postby spane1 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:47 pm

I agree pollypop.

In case we get turned down, I always find it by searching for "boomerang tags"

It's always in the first 10 or so matches.

Sarah

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:36 pm

lol, that was the point. I just wanted more people to post first. I guess no one wanted to take the time....

spane1

Postby spane1 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:52 pm

Well allow me to lend my two cents then from my limited online shopping experience.

Based on a recommendation in this thread, I ordered Jack new tags from

http://www.boomerangtags.com

The tags came within a week and there was more room on them then the machines give you at PetSmart- you can print on the front and on the back. In addition to the standard info, we put that Jack was very friendly and microchipped on the tag and to take him to a vet or shelter to have him scanned.

We have ordered raw hide and nylabones from:

http://www.fetchitpetsupplies.com/about/index.html

they were cheaper than we found them around here, and the nylabones came in nylabone packaging. Jack is very happy with the purchases.

Sarah

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”