A reminder to check your equipment

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
Red
Addicted to PBF

Re: A reminder to check your equipment

Postby Red » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:13 am

An extra O-rings is not a big deal, since even your favorite maker is buying hardware from someone else and occasionally one D-ring or O-ring can be defective.

Inaras mom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Inaras mom » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:00 pm

I know I don't post over here a whole lot but I had an equipment failure today, right at the beginning of my class for reactive dogs. I wanted to just remind people that even when your equipment looks solid you just never know what's going to happen. Fortunately I felt this pop as it broke and got Inara's collar before she had a chance to realize she was free. But this could have been absolutely disastrous.

Rossignol
Matured Bully

Postby Rossignol » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:16 pm

Liz, I'm glad you posted this. I was going to do the same thing.

MikeInTacoma

Postby MikeInTacoma » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:41 am

Looks like a typical hardware failure, afaik. The backup line Red posted in another thread, from the collar D-ring to the box section of the leash snap, probably would have kept the dog tethered (though with a few more inches of leash length).

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:08 am

Not to plug my own site, but this is why we make our Oscar's Attachments:
http://ellaslead.com/inc/sdetail/1609

What usually breaks on a snap is when the swivel head separates from the swivel ring.
The swivel ring will remain attached to the leash, but the snap breaks off via the swivel head slipping out, or breaking off of, the swivel ring.
Here's a pic I did up real quick to show the parts:

Our Oscar's attachments attach one snap to the swivel ring, and the other snap to a back up collar or harness.

I never leave my house with Ella WITHOUT her Oscar's Attachment.

As much as we dog product makers try, there is NO WAY we can 100% guarantee that a hardware failure will never happen.
Most dog product makers do not make their own hardware, in fact, I don't believe any of us do.

ALWAYS use back up with your dogs.
ALWAYS.
When I adopted Ella, this was one thing the rescue said to me over and over and over again: Always walk her with a back up collar on.

I will do this for as long as I own a dog.
I do not care WHAT breed it is. :))

Ellas_Daddy
Newborn Bully

Postby Ellas_Daddy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:06 pm

Liz, I'm glad nothing bad happened. My heart raced when I saw the damage. That is a leash maker's nightmare. That snap is a nice and very expensive snap. It was probably an internal defect that was completely hidden. Looks like a soft area in the cast on the head. That was a quality leash.

I would recommend the back-up. I don't care if you buy it from us. After seeing the little back-ups and adding them to our line, we won't go without them. Frankly, I would use them on any dog, not just a pit bull. But, pit bulls have the bad image so it's doubly important.

Rossignol
Matured Bully

Postby Rossignol » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:20 pm

I agree, this is a leash makers nightmare. My heart dropped when Liz told me about it. I'm already very particular about what I use, and this was the very first of these snaps I used.

I work contingencies into my designs, that much is in my control. But hardware is another story, and completely out of my control.

I take this sort of thing, and the safety of a dog, very personally... Even so, I cant see into the hardware.

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:10 am

I have went to using bolt snaps and proven equipment made by experienced people. Schutzhund, especially in protection is a HARD sport and thus the dogs PULL hard. The ropes, I've found are too tough on my hands except for horse leads. i use leather now and can tell you that I use a leash from Brad at STleathercraft and have not had one single problem. I check the leash for signs of wear after every training session as I do not want a loose dog on the field again(he popped his crate door open).

Courtney

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:06 am

Check your gear every time you snap on the leash!!! This collar is less than 1 month old. :beer:

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:20 pm

I am finalizing an order on a custom harness today or tomorrow --- and it looks like it is none too soon!!! Ran Ruby at the park today in this and saw the break after we got home. This is just a pet store type generic harness that apparently doesn't tolerate 44 lbs of use....

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”