A reminder to check your equipment

Collar, harness, kennel, and all other dog accessory/equipment posts go here!
Red
Addicted to PBF

A reminder to check your equipment

Postby Red » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:48 pm

Because sh*t happens.
Crazy Jack broke the D-ring on his collar.It happened while he was on cable and I was in the yard so he did not get to go anywhere.We had just came back from a walk with the same collar and I had put the dog in the backyard to chill.Jack is quite aggressive toward male dogs and small dogs so I am definately glad it did not happen while we were out.Instead of chilling Jack hit the end of the cable a few times to try and reach the fence perimeter, to get the neighbor's little yappy dog.The cable was positioned to not allow him to reach the fence but he sure tried.I went to get him to put him inside and the dog ran to me loose.Once a week or generally before a walk I check all my equipment for weakness or problems.The D ring was sitting in its stitched area so I could not see the welded point.Thick D- ring, the collar was one of the few I have from the same folks and never had a problem with their products.It appeared to be a defect in the ring so not their fault since they don't make the hardware.
Customer service was great as usual and Jack got a new collar in short time.
This time with forged d-rings, more solid and with no welded points.This will be my choice for any new collar from now on.
Here is what it looks like:

Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bustersmama » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:43 am

Good post Red.

BenReilly

Postby BenReilly » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:50 am

where did ya get that collar from?

lov4pits

Postby lov4pits » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:52 am

thx for the tip :thumbsup:
good looking collar

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:05 am

I've used ties outs a lot in the past and I've found that the best way is to have a large free floating "O" ring on the collar. You can usually buy those at any hardware store, and get a big one. I use about a 2 1/2" "O" ring for my 1 1/2" wide collar and a 3" one for my 2" wide collar.

By using a big "O" ring that is not attached to the collar there is a lot less stress on both the collar and the "O" ring. The D rings on collars are not that strong and since they are fixed in place, they can break much easier. With the "O" ring, you just thread the collar thru it. You can also use 2 "O" rings on a collar for extra security.

And there are Marine supply places that sell stainless steel O rings, those work very well too.

Good post, Red. It's always a good idea to check the hardware on all leashes, collars, cables, chains and other dog equipment. Parts get worn and a strong dog can break loose with no warning.

BullyBoi

Postby BullyBoi » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:20 pm

http://www.bulldogsupplycompany.com/hardware.html

they sell some rings and other hardware. I wouldnt use the d-ring on the collar just thread the whole collar through a ring.

good post

tablerock
Newborn Bully

Postby tablerock » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:54 pm

Val,

Thank you for posting this to the forum.

It is IMPERATIVE that people get in the habit of checking their equipment on a regular basis. The break in Jack's D-ring was a manufacturer defect, as you said, and the manufacturer is well aware of their potential manufacturing issue.

I emailed them as soon as you spoke with us and they have NEVER seen this happen with any of their products. So, every once in a while I think something may happen.

I apologize greatly for the problem and hope you are more satisfied with the new collar we sent for Jack.

Sincerely,

Sara Nally
Tablerock Harnesses

Amie

Postby Amie » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:08 pm

I know it's a sticky, but it's worth the reminder again. You never know when a squirrel will attack.

Yesterday, this sweet baby

was mercilessly taunted by an evil squirrel, and when he (the dog) hit the end of his tether, made this:

That's the clasp for a "Monster" tether - recommended for dogs 250lb and up (Oscar is under 50, I thought I was safe lol ) You can see rust along the edge there, but others have seen it - it's not THAT rusted, and the whole thing is less than a year old, in fact probably less than six months.

I was with him - he's almost never alone, even tethered, and fortunately he was a VERY good boy and came back almost right away (then got drilled on his recall some more with extra treats) but it could have been bad....

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:09 pm

first I am glad taht all endede well for Oscar and you
Second, I hate those darn snaps, I cannot tell you how many I have had break over the years for dogs and for horses.
I always get bolt snaps but everyone tells me how unreliable they are, even tho I have never had a bolt snap break yet. One did get hooked on Paig'es leash hardware and come unsnapped, but that is why you always see me with the double ended snap leashs on , one is attache to her prong adn the other snap/end is attahced to her regualr collar.

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:31 pm

How rusted is that snap on the INSIDE, though?

This is why we try to buy hardware that has wide, beefy swivel heads on them. The swivel heads (like on that bull snap) are usually the first thing to go on a snap.

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon May 12, 2008 1:08 pm

No, the inside of that clasp isn't rusted, that's just broken metal (hard to tell from the picture, I know) - it's just along the outside that it was rusted, and again, it was just a few months old at the time.

MikeInTacoma

Postby MikeInTacoma » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:58 am

A lot of hardware is made by sintering (taking little metal granules and smushing them together under heat and pressure to make a solid piece), and is not as strong as it would be if it were made by casting. I have seen hardware failures with horses, but not (yet) with dogs.

I have adopted a method recommended by Red in another thread -- running a backup line from the harness or collar D-ring to the box section of the leash's snap, as illustrated below.

When the head of the leash snap breaks, typically the box section is still intact, so the backup line gives you another chance to control the dog. Still, it's a good idea to check your hardware once or twice a week.

sydking
Newborn Bully

Postby sydking » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:10 am

turtle wrote:I've used ties outs a lot in the past and I've found that the best way is to have a large free floating "O" ring on the collar. You can usually buy those at any hardware store, and get a big one. I use about a 2 1/2" "O" ring for my 1 1/2" wide collar and a 3" one for my 2" wide collar.

By using a big "O" ring that is not attached to the collar there is a lot less stress on both the collar and the "O" ring. The D rings on collars are not that strong and since they are fixed in place, they can break much easier. With the "O" ring, you just thread the collar thru it. You can also use 2 "O" rings on a collar for extra security.

And there are Marine supply places that sell stainless steel O rings, those work very well too.

Good post, Red. It's always a good idea to check the hardware on all leashes, collars, cables, chains and other dog equipment. Parts get worn and a strong dog can break loose with no warning.

so with my dogs collar your saying with the extra O ring for teathers? or could i add an O ring to the collar and clip both O rings with the leash when going for walks.

FriscoGirl
BANNED

Re: A reminder to check your equipment

Postby FriscoGirl » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:55 pm

you dont need an O ring when going for walks, just dont buy your leashes and collars because they make pretty colors and designs, get them from someone who owns bulldogs, bulldog approved equipment.

http://www.obriensk9supply.com/store/index.php

excellent quality and thick ply's

hooligan777
Newborn Bully

Re: A reminder to check your equipment

Postby hooligan777 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:38 pm

I gotta agree with this!
When walking Bubbles last night both the D ring and the buckle broke on her collar.
Only CollarMania from now on!

Return to “Equipment, Housing, Supplies and Accessories”