Maybelle's first Agility Class!

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Maybelle's first Agility Class!

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:11 pm

So today Maybelle and I went to our first Agility Class.

I was a little nervous, since I didn't know how she would react to all the other dogs and such. Buuutt. Less than two minutes in the door, she had barked at the teachers dog who was running around off leash, and the teacher YANKED the leash out of my hand and started jerking Maybelle really hard, pointing at the other dog yelling, "NO DOG. THIS IS A NO. DOG. NO DOG." When the teacher gave Maybelle's leash back, she just sat down, looking utterly purplexed. This happened once more, and Maybelle never even locked eyes with another dog after that. I was flabbergasted, but I wasn't sure what to do in that kind of situation . .

Other than that, it was in a small facility, will smaller equipment. The class consisted of a handful of Papillons, 2 pomeranians, a Frenchie and a spaniel. I was a new student there. We started with an exercise that was supposed to strengthen the attention your dog has on you. So while on leash, you would have your dog on your left, and run for a little, walk, run then walk. Then we switched to having the dog on your right, which completely confused the heck out of Maybelle since she always walks on my left! I was a little confused since you're supposed to treat the dog as you're walking which made holding the leash cumbersome. But I got the hang of it, but not enough to incorporate the clicker.

Maybelle was isolated from the class, which was understandable. But I think the isolation contributed to the class becoming scared of Maybelle. EVERY time I moved Maybelle from one side of the room to another, the ENTIRE group would pull their dogs away from her. It made me a little sad. I think my age was also another thing that worked against me. The entire class was AMAZED that I could get Maybelle to weave inbetween the cones. David heard them gossiping the entire time I was working with Maybelle.

Afterwards, we started jumps. The instructor had me have Maybelle walk over a pole laying on the ground for about 15 minutes, then moved towards actual jumping. Which was also confusing for me, because she made me throw a treat while running so Maybelle would jump over it while having the leash on the opposite hand? I tripped up A LOT. I don't think I would have so much if I wasn't required to treat her so much.

Then we moved onto tunnel, which Maybelle picked up on pretty nicely :) She started bolting through the tunnel near the end.

then we put it all together.

The course was

Jump, run, jump, turn, tunnel, slolom.

Maybelle finished the course in 44 seconds. Not bad for her first time, considering the average was about 20 for the seasoned students :) Maybelle was exhausted by the end of it. It was a little hot in the room, but I think it was a great mental work out for her. She doesn't get that too much at home.

I plan on training her with similar obstacles at home, to see how well she does. Then hopefully find a class more geared towards larger breeds. RuffMuttz suggested one, so I'll be definitely looking at that. But all in all, a good day :) Gives me a good reason to get out of bed on Mondays!

ellie@ny
Matured Bully

Re: Maybelle's first Agility Class!

Postby ellie@ny » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:31 am

Umm are you going back?
Glad you and Maybelle's had a good time.

PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PaigeJ » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:10 pm

Sounds like an unfriendly place for bully breeds. Does your teacher train for competition? If so what organization?

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:28 pm

if i were you i don't think i'd be going back.

and i really wouldn't like someone jerking my dog's lead from my hand, and then yelling at my dog... idk. IMO i wouldn't want to go back.

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:01 pm

Uh, no. FAIL... that instructor would have gotten her ass kicked if she did that to my dog. Why was her dog running around off lead during a class, WTF?

maciek
Newborn Bully

Postby maciek » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:00 pm

yeah....i've had similar experiences with my dog getting yanked and poked and "ssssshhhh" way over the top for looking at an off leash dog playing instead of doing a jump for the teacher (needless to say he shut down wouldn't budge and she got frustrated and gave up)....or getting dragged onto the a-frame he didn't want to go on. I don't have much of a selection due to my work schedule so I still attend the class and try and not let people I don't agree with handle my dog anymore. I've been going 3 months now and using Control Unleashed/positive reinforc. my dogs made a humongous improvement being around other dogs (he was extremely excitable/crying/whining/pulling etc around dogs running around off lead) and we have people congratulating us.

Return to “Dog Sports”