Novice obedience and point deductions/NQs

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
angiesm123
Newborn Bully

Novice obedience and point deductions/NQs

Postby angiesm123 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:28 am

I've been following the recent threads regarding trialing and realize there are little things that will be point deductions or NQs - for example when doing the recall your hands need to be at your side or using your shoulders too much is considered a double command etc. My trainer was helping me with a stand for exam and pointed out that I needed to stand straight and not bend over when cueing the stay and to make sure to have your hands off before you say/cue stay. The rules I've reviewed for AKC aren't as clear with little items like these. Can anyone share things that will cause deductions or NQs that someone who is new might not be familar with? Stuff that you might do while training but cannot do when trialing for novice obedience?

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Re: Novice obedience and point deductions/NQs

Postby Sarah » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:04 am

It's actually okay to bend over when giving a signal, if you need to do so for the dog to see it. The thing that isn't made clear in the rules, though, is that before you give the command and/or signal to stay, you should be in heel position, so if you or the dog have moved out of that in posing the stand, you should move back into heel position before giving the command/signal.

Return to “Dog Sports”