Dog conditioning

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Re: Dog conditioning

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat May 22, 2010 6:14 pm

I tried to get some good pictures of Dakota but it is freezing outside so I just took a few. They arent the best of quality but hey they work.
This is a picture of Dakota from today, he hasn't gotten a lot of conditioning done since winter and spring are just now starting to disappear.(rained last night) But heres a picture of him at today, 11 months old German Shepherd/Labrador mix.

FriscoGirl
BANNED

Postby FriscoGirl » Sun May 23, 2010 2:42 am

put your running shoes on and hit the road, walk for a few hours per day. I see all these pics of overweight APBT owners and dog, doesnt make sense. You'll never out walk your dog and its the best way to bond with your dog also. I walk at least 1hr each day, I dont go to the gym, I walk my dogs, take them hiking or right out my front door. If I ever taught them leash manners, healing, we'd both get about 1/10 the workout we do at the end of the leash tugging

2inch collar, 10ft lead and a pair of New Balance

dog and owners are now fit

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Sun May 23, 2010 7:41 am

Eh. If I want my dogs to pull, I put them in harnesses. Or I bike with them so they can really "open up," or even just do some flirtpole. I'm all about leash manners. And my dogs aren't fat. :)

DogNerd
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby DogNerd » Sun May 23, 2010 11:14 am

I'm all about leash manners. And my dogs aren't fat.
same here! I'm not fat either. Controlled and slow walking can also be really good for the dogs physically. I'm also lucky to live somewhere with access to sand because slow walking in sand can be great for conditioning dogs.

when I was younger I could tolerate a lot more leash pulling my wrists and elbows just can't take it anymore. That kind of repetitive strain is really hard on a person's body!

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Sat May 29, 2010 6:43 pm

I just find it irritating to have a dog that's in that habit. Loki knows when its pull time and when she needs to behave. Terra has a harder time with it, but I do a lot more ADBA-type stuff with her. I can still get a reasonable walk out of her, though.

HollyJoy
Super Bully

Postby HollyJoy » Sun May 30, 2010 9:47 pm

FriscoGirl wrote:. If I ever taught them leash manners, healing, we'd both get about 1/10 the workout we do at the end of the leash tugging

2inch collar, 10ft lead and a pair of New Balance

I hear ya! When we go hiking, the dogs wear their "walking" harnesses, which really means, time for non-stop pulling. If we're walking in the neighborhood or town, the leashes go on collars. So long as the dogs are out one at a time, they have great leash manners, and understand the difference between loose leash time and pulling time. However we are not yet successful with walking both dogs together on loose leash.

Alyssa
Super Bully

Postby Alyssa » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:24 pm

Siberian wrote:And on another sad note: my flirt pole was stolen from my garage :( And it was a perfect morning-before-work exercise.... So I have to buy a new one. Anyone has any tips for online stores?

We use lunge whips - I can get them for like 16bucks at the local tack shops around here, but you can also find them on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220614469254

Works WAY better than any homemade ones I've tried. As long as you don;t let them bend it like a fishing pole, they will last years. Just point the end at them so they are pulling straight and walk towards them unless you have a release command, so they can't break it.

Just tie on a piece of scrap leather or a toy for them to grab and there ya go! :)

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:08 pm

Walking/swimming in strong current yet shallow creeks really helped Dakota build up his shoulder muscles, although I don't have any pictures of how he looked when he was in shape from it he looked awesome! I recommend it for anyone looking for building up should muscles and having fun at the same time. The creek we go to is very strong at points, and medium in others, has some areas were its deep enough for him to swim and others were he can wade through.

He has been swimming more frequently lately and has a awesome new swim body.

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:02 am

Dakota looks great! I love seeing non bully dogs in shape-as it truly is a rarity!

Return to “Dog Sports”