Schutzhund

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Re: Schutzhund

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:46 am

Do Schutzhund or other protection sport (Mondio, FR, etc) folks ever send dogs to friends or collegues for board and train type stuff?

just curious. There are some flyball folks who will take other people's dogs (mostly friends) and do some boot camp on them to get them over a hump (like ball dropping or a bad turn).

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:55 am

FransterDoo wrote:Do Schutzhund or other protection sport (Mondio, FR, etc) folks ever send dogs to friends or collegues for board and train type stuff?

just curious. There are some flyball folks who will take other people's dogs (mostly friends) and do some boot camp on them to get them over a hump (like ball dropping or a bad turn).

Yeap. We do some swapping sometimes. Judge actually has spent 2 weeks at his breeder's house to fix some things and give me a different outlook. In return, I took one of her dogs and socialized more as well as did some formal OB work with him.

I've been thinking about sending him out to be titled by a friend but I can't do it, I'm doing that myself!!!! Id does kinda help swapping dogs for a week or so, gives me a chance to appreciate the dog I have and also, a new perspective on things.

Jen-It's all about learning and growing as a handler, it is much harder for those of us with no patience and a "want it now" attitude(me). BUT I'm learning and growing and that is what matters.

Besonbully
Newborn Bully

Postby Besonbully » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:41 pm

I was looking on you tube and could only find one pit doing high level obedience for schutzhund. Anyone know where I can find some more? There are obviously a lot for PP in training.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:47 pm

Besonbully wrote:I was looking on you tube and could only find one pit doing high level obedience for schutzhund. Anyone know where I can find some more? There are obviously a lot for PP in training.

here is a link to Leri doing French Ring with her APBT, not Schutzhund , but shows a ton of high level OB.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PitBullLeri ... W1eQE4kWFM

ellie@ny
Matured Bully

Postby ellie@ny » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:14 pm

Here is another video of a practice SCH OB with a great dog from Howard's pits:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl-HVTw9 ... re=related
Look at that tail going at all the times! :)

Sean W.
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Sean W. » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:22 pm

You guys seem to be doing a good job at answering questions. Just my two cents...

It takes dedication, dedication, dedication... You have to train consistantly. It's easily understood that if you take a completely green dog from nothing to Sch1 it'll take you the outside of two years. And that's with darn near weekly training. Most clubs train one day during the weekend and one night during the week. Dedication. SN:Oddly enough, most dogs who've trained in Sch. tend to remember even if you haven't worked them in months and months.

But, understand when you go looking for a club make sure the trainer or director has YOUR dog's welfare at heart. Don't just show up late and get your dog looked at and leave. Be there early. Stay and listen. Watch how the helpers handle not only your dog but other dogs in the club. If you see some training technique you don't understand, ask! Pay attention to how trainers talk to members of club in the way they are handling their dogs. Pay attention to how the trainer talks to and accept newcomers. Those visiting. See, even though this isn't directly related to what training your dog gets it does fit into the overall experience. I've seen many people stop coming to training because the trainer starts yelling or gets impatient or visitors get turned off because they don't like the temperment of those running the show. It's all important.

It takes money. Gas, training space, proper clothing, proper dog training gear, trial dues, club dues and time are all factors. Erin tell em' about those loooooong days we would be outside. In rain, snow, hot as hell sun, and wind. It's nothing to be outside from 8am or earlier till 6 or 7pm. Even earlier if you have more than one dog and you go tracking in the morning. If you're like me, It takes me a literal 2hrs each way just to get to the training field. I'd leave at 9am to get to the field at 11am which was the start of OB and be there until dark. Maybe 6 or 7 and then have a 2hr drive back home. Now imagine if I wanted to show up to track? I'd have to leave by 5am. That's 4hrs of my day just in driving! I priced it out and on average it takes me $35-$40 just to attend training every week. Just to get there!! Dedication.

But you know what? I miss it. I miss it all. My car is down and I'm currently unemployed so it's proven hard to get back to training. Both me AND my dog are going stircrazy not being on the field. I'm hoping all that will change by the end of summer. Once you start and you love it it'll prove to be like potato chips. You can't stop. Dedication.

Besonbully
Newborn Bully

Postby Besonbully » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:41 pm

I have to agree with one of the previous posters. You have all done a terrific job of posting and seem super enthused about the sport which is great.

The first thing that caught my eye in Schutzhund was how obedient the dogs are at their peak excitement levels. Is that because the owner has the toy or has had the toy? If someone were to come out there with the toy would the dog lose focus and not listen tot he owner?

I am really interested in this and I truly believe I have the perfect pit for it. Unfortunately with my travel schedule and what not I dont think I could ever put in enough time for it. Like I mentioned previously I am really into their obedience and I wouldn't start to train him like that because I dont exactly now how.

The biggest thing I would like to get down is my dogs recall and at his highest energy level. In every video the dogs recall is super fast and immediate. I have worked with him quite a bit. His recall is good but not great. I have gotten a long rope and let him go play with other dogs and do things and call him, when/if he doesn't listen I give him a tug. Am I doing the right thing?

Are there any websites that explain how to get your dog to recall like they do in schutzhund and the other higher obedience sports. Also I could use a little instruction on the heal command. Thanks you guys are awesome

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:12 pm

ProudMommy77 wrote:
Besonbully wrote:I was looking on you tube and could only find one pit doing high level obedience for schutzhund. Anyone know where I can find some more? There are obviously a lot for PP in training.

here is a link to Leri doing French Ring with her APBT, not Schutzhund , but shows a ton of high level OB.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PitBullLeri ... W1eQE4kWFM

were they throwing pancakes at the dog??

Awesome video!

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:29 pm

Some people use toys for the heel, as a reward, others use a ball and clicker, some use forging, or the use of spitting hot dogs at the dog. I use a variety of things, mostly a ball on the rope for Paver, because I don't play tug with him, he's got some shake, shake bad habits that need to be worked on, so he doesn't kill the sleeve. So, it's the ball, it's his special ball, the only time he sees that ball is during training, and after tracking. For Dottie, I just use hot dogs, and spit them at her, I use a clicker to mark the correct behavior which is keep her eyes right on me. If you look on the web page I had posted, Leri has a short video of her doing some heeling work with a young dog, or you can check out Amy's videos on her web page at Norcal's American Bulldogs.

And yes, green or young dogs do lose their focus, you just have to reinforce the behavior you want. Depending on how motivated your dog is, sometimes it's easy, other times it can be hard.

I took Dottie down to a friend's house to track, a place she had never been. I put her in a long sit, laid my track, talked to my friend a bit, and then called her to me, now keep in mind, she never broke her sit, and kept full attention on me at all time, and she is only seven months old, give or take a few weeks. My pro with her, is she is so food motivated, she will give you what ever you ask for, she knows that tracking means food, and that a long sit or down, equals food. The con with extremely food motivated dogs, is it can sometimes cloud their thinking, and they will tend to offer a million behaviors to get that food.

Maddy, I think in FR they throw just about anything at the dog for the food refusal..lol

nameless_5r
Newborn Bully

Postby nameless_5r » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:46 am

I have been looking at several websites and videos about Schutzhund and i love the obedience aspects of the training but i also noticed that the dogs are used as protection dogs were a man wearing a thick padded suit is bitten by the dog. I cant agree with the biting for pit bulls or any other bully breed. These dogs were bred for temperaments, they are not supposed to bite human beings. It should take way too much work to get a bully to show any type of aggression towards a human. I think that Schutzhund is an awesome training tool for bullies as long as the biting is removed from the curriculum.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:13 am

nameless_5r wrote:I think that Schutzhund is an awesome training tool for bullies as long as the biting is removed from the curriculum.

Then it's no longer Schutzhund.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:02 am

nameless_5r wrote:a man wearing a thick padded suit is bitten by the dog

that would not be Schutzhund...decoys wear sleeves in Schutzhund.

mommy2kane wrote:
nameless_5r wrote:I think that Schutzhund is an awesome training tool for bullies as long as the biting is removed from the curriculum.

Then it's no longer Schutzhund.

x2

nameless_5r wrote:It should take way too much work to get a bully to show any type of aggression towards a human.

wow...this sport isn't about human aggression.....you should go back and read the thread from the begining before making a statement like that.

nameless_5r
Newborn Bully

Postby nameless_5r » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:39 pm

^ unnecessary, i read it entirely before i posted........the fact is that biting a human being(decoy or whatever you want to call it) should not be part of any "sport" or training for any bully breeds. Bully breeds were not meant for this......it should be against their nature.

nameless_5r
Newborn Bully

Postby nameless_5r » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:28 pm

by the way, when i say bully breeds im actually referring to APBTs and Staffs.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:35 pm

Personal opinion. Once upon a time I thought the same, well... I was told the same and took it without really thinking.

If we cripple the pit bull breed to limit it only to it's origin it may as well be a dead breed.

Bite work and human aggression are not unanimous. I am sorry you can not understand but I will say give it time and maybe you, like I have, will open your mind to the amazing ability of this breed to learn everything asked of it.

My current Schutzhund dog can't seem to realize every stranger at my gate is not a fun buddy and yet on the field he's excelling, go figure. He works primarily off prey drive and play drive currently but I expect his defense drive to build with age. He's a traditional sport breed.

Return to “Dog Sports”