Getting out of the bullys?

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
msvette2u

Re: Getting out of the bullys?

Postby msvette2u » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:07 am

redgrrl wrote:The only thing I get competitive about is trivia, like Jeopardy. Then I'm out for blood. lol

NOW you're talking!

redgrrl wrote:I would like to do sports with my next dog, very much so. But which sport will depend on what my dog enjoys.

This is exactly how I would do sports - I never thought of tracking but am doing so now with our Basset - because she loves it!
If she hated it though, I'd just skip it completely, I'd not go out and get another Basset or Bloodhound :dunno:

XDogs
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby XDogs » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:11 am

Red Chrome wrote:I really feel like some people are bashing on others that choose to go with a different breed. I actually owned a GSD before Red so really, when I got Red, I guess i was being "unfaithful" to the GSD breed.

well.. that was why I said: you gotta be in the breed to be getting out of it. The only time you seem to have chosen a "different breed", you picked Red.
Same with anybody else.. if you have one dog of a particular breed and then pick something different next time.. I wouldn't call it "getting out of the breed" for a variety of reasons.. not the least of them being, that it doesn't exactly give you a good representation to judge the whole breed with your experience of that one (or even two or three) dog(s)... be it health problems, lack of ability or drive. If a breed speaks to you, it speaks to you.. and you make that the most important factor in how you train, live and manage the ownership.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:25 am

I wonder what the number of bullys it takes to be a better bully owner/judge/representative than the next? I can taste the holier than thou in this thread resurfacing please be careful with your words, everyone.

Making this personal will only turn ugly for everyone involved. I guarentee not everyone approves of everyones dog ownership, training, and choices. That is fine, we can ALL be great owners and bully reps in our own ways.

I am sure I look a bad trainer daring to acquire a malinois. I have two pit bulls, I don't want a third right now. I've had the best luck all my life with two at a time, add a third and we've almost always found ourselves rotating. Two and other breeds have never been an issue. Go figure? Oh and to clarify although Shamoo is retired due to her knee, Arnold will continue to train flyball until he finally says enough.

Point being I'm not sure how one could get out of a breed when they still actively sport with and parade around member of the breed but I am sure if we start pointing fingers and making this personal we'll figure out how everyone purely sucks.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:39 am

Adrianne wrote:but I am sure if we start pointing fingers and making this personal we'll figure out how everyone purely sucks.

I think you suck because you aren't coming to Ramona to train this weekend. ;)

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:18 am

XDogs wrote:
Red Chrome wrote:I really feel like some people are bashing on others that choose to go with a different breed. I actually owned a GSD before Red so really, when I got Red, I guess i was being "unfaithful" to the GSD breed.

well.. that was why I said: you gotta be in the breed to be getting out of it. The only time you seem to have chosen a "different breed", you picked Red.
Same with anybody else.. if you have one dog of a particular breed and then pick something different next time.. I wouldn't call it "getting out of the breed" for a variety of reasons.. not the least of them being, that it doesn't exactly give you a good representation to judge the whole breed with your experience of that one (or even two or three) dog(s)... be it health problems, lack of ability or drive. If a breed speaks to you, it speaks to you.. and you make that the most important factor in how you train, live and manage the ownership.

I agree with this. I did NOT get the best representation of an APBT in Red. I got an issue riddled dog that I have to manage. I really do like the breed and in a lot of ways Red was easier for me but in others...she sucks. I did NOT want to get another APBT and then have it turn out like Red again, cause I have managed my first and last fearful/child aggressive dog in her. I refuse to do it again when there are stable APBTs out there all over(I see a ton of them in the shelter). You are right, if I would have been more "dedicated" to the breed having owned them before or something, I probably would've stuck it out and got another one to do the work with. I'll probably have another one someday but not for a long time.

I do still feel that it is OK to get a dog BECAUSE you found a sport you like, so you get a dog that can do that sport. IMHO, there really shouldn't be a problem with that.

DogNerd
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby DogNerd » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:53 am

but I am sure if we start pointing fingers and making this personal we'll figure out how everyone purely sucks.

you know, I have been reading this interesting thread and I have to say that I am just not seeing people pointing fingers and making it personal, but rather people taking it that way.

It's a good discussion, with lots of interesting points!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:51 pm

DogNerd wrote:
but I am sure if we start pointing fingers and making this personal we'll figure out how everyone purely sucks.

you know, I have been reading this interesting thread and I have to say that I am just not seeing people pointing fingers and making it personal, but rather people taking it that way.

It's a good discussion, with lots of interesting points!

Thank You!
(thought I was the only one seeing it that way)

Odnarb

Postby Odnarb » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:16 pm

XDogs wrote:Same with anybody else.. if you have one dog of a particular breed and then pick something different next time.. I wouldn't call it "getting out of the breed" for a variety of reasons.. not the least of them being, that it doesn't exactly give you a good representation to judge the whole breed with your experience of that one (or even two or three) dog(s)... be it health problems, lack of ability or drive. If a breed speaks to you, it speaks to you.. and you make that the most important factor in how you train, live and manage the ownership.

But then, what does one have to do to qualify to be "in" a breed to you? I got my APBT in '96, then an AmStaf in '01. I spent time at shows and was good friends with people with the breed from other lines. I saw tons of examples of the breed due to my occupation. I trained with people with the breed, etc. Since I only had two dogs, or one of two different breeds if you are a total separatist, was I ever in the breed at all since I don't keep a ton of dogs at once?

When I got Harry, I was branded a "traitor." Oh well. I was already interested in getting my foot into a breed not so threatened by BSL, and one that was a more effective guardian due to where I was living. I'd started training in FR with the AmStaf, and his shortcomings were due to working with a club that was unfamiliar with Pit Bull mentality, and Grant's slipping hocks. I joined a Schutzhund club as well to see how that worked, but Schutzhund also has too much jumping for a dog with Grant's hocks.

So, enter the Malinois. And while I got an antisocial maniac without an off switch, I also found unparalleled devotion and frightening intelligence. And talk about a jack-of-all-trades! Is there anything that a Malinois can't do??? This dog LIVES to serve me. And after having this level of devotion, it would be hard to go back. I trained in FR with him until life got in the way before I had a chance to compete. Now I live in the middle of nowhere, no club to train with, and a toddler to keep me busy. As a result, I have an unemployed maniac of a dog that is now "just" a family pet. I wouldn't change anything for the world.

Iowa is scary as far as BSL goes. I got my Pit Bulls when I lived in another part of the country where it wasn't so prevalent. Until things change, I'm doubtful of adding another bull breed to the family. My husband (acquired AFTER the dogs) is not a huge fan of the Hairball due to all of his lovely traits that make him a kickass working dog. I'm trying to talk him into a rescue Malinois (usually working duds), or even a show bred pup for the next dog. I need to find one that has an off switch roflmao

I used to think that I was exclusively a Pit Bull person, but then the Hairball came along. If I could get Harry with an off switch and a more social demeanor towards strangers, I'll think I have the perfect dog. And since both exist within the breed, it can be had.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:36 pm

While Backup thus far (yeah yeah, he's all of 7 months!) has no off switch in sight he IS a huge people lover. Sloan is a bit off put by strangers, not aggressive but disinterested mostly however she does have a relative off switch and is already at 6 months learning to cuddle and just chill once in a while.

Somewhere in this breed is perfection... somewhere... lol lol

Odnarb

Postby Odnarb » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:35 pm

Adrianne wrote:While Backup thus far (yeah yeah, he's all of 7 months!) has no off switch in sight he IS a huge people lover. Sloan is a bit off put by strangers, not aggressive but disinterested mostly however she does have a relative off switch and is already at 6 months learning to cuddle and just chill once in a while.

Somewhere in this breed is perfection... somewhere... lol lol

I'd take people-loving over the off switch if I could magically have one of the two installed on him! I'm used to the lack of an off switch. My husband would be more receptive to letting me have more if he saw evidence that some of them CAN settle in the house. Harry prowls the house all night long, and the house when we are home. I only work part time, and the days that I am home he prowls all day, too. We joke that he doesn't sleep, he waits. We think he's in a dead sleep then suddenly he's on his feet rushing to the window to watch (and likely bark at) somebody walking by the house.

Harry has a weird social anxiety issue. I can walk him through crowds, he can hang out with uninterested people, and he is hell on decoys. But if a person starts trying to interact with him in a friendly manner, it's like Kryptonite to him. He's not afraid of the presence of people, and he enjoys engaging somebody behaving in an aggressive manner towards him or me. If somebody tells ME he's a pretty dog, that's fine. If they tell HIM that he's a pretty dog, he gets nervous. I've met a number of Malinois out of FR lines that I've suspected had similar temperaments. In FR they are never interacted with in a friendly manner by anybody other than the handler. It wouldn't be a huge issue in a lot of military and police dogs, either. I will definitely be more wary of such things when I look for another.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:05 pm

Interesting! Harry is beautiful, does he live in a kennel run/yard ? I'm loving learning more and more about this breed. Our breeder was rather amused when we said we intend to make Backup a house dog.

Backup has yet to be seen asleep, literally. He has been seen laying down ONCE next to the slider door when locked in the yard for all of 20 seconds. I'm not kidding. He's a nonstop moving machine. If you invite him to cuddle he'll cling to your lap pant like he's just run a marathon and fling his skull repeatedly into your jaw. lol However in all his constantly moving it's purely looking for fun, thus far he's yet to show any interest in human guarding or aggression.

Odnarb

Postby Odnarb » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:37 pm

Adrianne wrote:Interesting! Harry is beautiful, does he live in a kennel run/yard ? I'm loving learning more and more about this breed. Our breeder was rather amused when we said we intend to make Backup a house dog.

No, he's always been a house dog. When I'm not home I crate him because he chases the cat and will chew up toys that Syd leaves lying around. I had to buy this crate because he can get out of plastic and wire crates.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:17 am

we call those the Hannibal crates... roflmao ..but, I do like that one, I like the door, I am not to fond of the bars, I have seen a number of dogs that lick, or attempt to chew their way out.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:58 am

Knock on wood these mals are crate friendly thus far. Speak of the devil aside from "pop" chomping her ball Sloan is chillin beside me on the bed. Of course... Backup is in his crate... probably staring at the wall like a lunatic.. lol

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:22 am

The only Malinois I know that I really like is my friend's dog, Seeker. (U-CD Ch Carousel's Wild Adventure CDX RN MX MXJ NF CGC ROM 1). He has a lovely outgoing temperament, and works as her service dog. His first time as her service dog on a plane was flying to either Westminster or the Eukanuba thing, I can't remember which, but she was concerned that he was too young, but he behaved perfectly. He does usually get up and put his paws on my shoulders when he sees me, but I encourage it, so it's not bad behavior.

However, she has another Malinois now, related to Seeker, who is about Pirate's age, and I wasn't impressed when I met him. Spooky little thing, getting scared & aggressive about the other dogs at the agility trial we were at. An outdoor trial, it shouldn't have been that stressful. I'm so used to my cheerful, easy going SBTs, that behavior really startled me. The Mal pup was scared of Pirate, his own age and smaller than him. He growled at Pirate, and Pirate just went "yeah, whatever", and continued on his way. Nicely illustrating for me why I'm a fan of the bull breeds. lol

Return to “Dog Sports”