Getting out of the bullys?

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
Odnarb

Re: Getting out of the bullys?

Postby Odnarb » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:21 pm

Sarah wrote:The only Malinois I know that I really like is my friend's dog, Seeker. (U-CD Ch Carousel's Wild Adventure CDX RN MX MXJ NF CGC ROM 1). He has a lovely outgoing temperament, and works as her service dog. His first time as her service dog on a plane was flying to either Westminster or the Eukanuba thing, I can't remember which, but she was concerned that he was too young, but he behaved perfectly. He does usually get up and put his paws on my shoulders when he sees me, but I encourage it, so it's not bad behavior.

However, she has another Malinois now, related to Seeker, who is about Pirate's age, and I wasn't impressed when I met him. Spooky little thing, getting scared & aggressive about the other dogs at the agility trial we were at. An outdoor trial, it shouldn't have been that stressful. I'm so used to my cheerful, easy going SBTs, that behavior really startled me. The Mal pup was scared of Pirate, his own age and smaller than him. He growled at Pirate, and Pirate just went "yeah, whatever", and continued on his way. Nicely illustrating for me why I'm a fan of the bull breeds. lol

Is the new pup also a Carousel dog? I've really been impressed with her dogs. Great temperaments! Many have gone on to be therapy dogs, even. THAT is the temperament I want in my next dog. An outgoing Harry would be the ultimate dog, IMO.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:23 pm

Odnarb wrote:

Is the new pup also a Carousel dog? I've really been impressed with her dogs. Great temperaments! Many have gone on to be therapy dogs, even. THAT is the temperament I want in my next dog. An outgoing Harry would be the ultimate dog, IMO.

Yes. Most of the Carousel dogs I've met had solid temperaments, so I was a bit surprised by the spooky pup. Possibly he'll steady as he matures, though I met Seeker as a puppy, and I don't remember him being like that.

Odnarb

Postby Odnarb » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:52 pm

Sarah wrote:Yes. Most of the Carousel dogs I've met had solid temperaments, so I was a bit surprised by the spooky pup. Possibly he'll steady as he matures, though I met Seeker as a puppy, and I don't remember him being like that.

Sadly, the temperament exists within the breed because people breed killer working dogs that also have social anxiety. Most of these working dogs don't have to interact with strange humans and dogs in a friendly manner, so it either doesn't come up or the breeders don't think it's a really big deal.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:09 pm

Odnarb wrote:
Sadly, the temperament exists within the breed because people breed killer working dogs that also have social anxiety. Most of these working dogs don't have to interact with strange humans and dogs in a friendly manner, so it either doesn't come up or the breeders don't think it's a really big deal.

I wouldn't like the fearfulness. If a dog isn't friendly, but at least is confident about it, I'm okay with that. But I like a dog that is bold and confident in every situation. Probably why my SBTs appeal to me so much. And why I like Seeker, of course, he is a confident dog.

Odnarb

Postby Odnarb » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:52 pm

Sarah wrote:I wouldn't like the fearfulness. If a dog isn't friendly, but at least is confident about it, I'm okay with that. But I like a dog that is bold and confident in every situation. Probably why my SBTs appeal to me so much. And why I like Seeker, of course, he is a confident dog.

I do not like that aspect of Harry's personality a bit. It's a bit odd, because he ONLY has this issue with somebody that is being friendly towards him. He's very solid when it comes to everything else. Fortunately, I guess, it's not correct and I know that I can find a dog that isn't like him. It's one of the reasons that I'm looking towards the Malinois from show lines this time. I've seen consistently better temperaments in them.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:33 pm

Its a strange trait, Sloan is very apathetic about humans really but so is Arnold my pit bull and he's a therapy dog, service animal and so on and so forth. He can take people or leave them which actually is a great trait ime. Overly affectionate can be overwhelming and harder to venture out into gentle crowds with. Shamoo would be one of those, I can't let her meet everyone, she's nuts and overly affectionate, thus far Backup melts into everyone. If given the choice I would prefer apathetic above overly friendly (and definitely over social anxiety and fears).

I haven't seen much fear in mals around here, lots of overly angry, highly driven jackarses though. We were careful picking our mals to avoid any unneeded human or animal aggression.

Odnarb

Postby Odnarb » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:18 pm

Adrianne wrote:Its a strange trait, Sloan is very apathetic about humans really but so is Arnold my pit bull and he's a therapy dog, service animal and so on and so forth. He can take people or leave them which actually is a great trait ime. Overly affectionate can be overwhelming and harder to venture out into gentle crowds with. Shamoo would be one of those, I can't let her meet everyone, she's nuts and overly affectionate, thus far Backup melts into everyone. If given the choice I would prefer apathetic above overly friendly (and definitely over social anxiety and fears).

I haven't seen much fear in mals around here, lots of overly angry, highly driven jackarses though. We were careful picking our mals to avoid any unneeded human or animal aggression.

I forget, were did they come from? Are they from flyball breeders?

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:28 pm

Sloan's pedigree: http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/dogs/be ... dir=898739

Her mother has her BH and a sch tracking title (not listed on the pedigree) and is going for her Sch1 this winter. Her pedigree is so-so, but she and her great aunt which my flyball teammate owns speak for themselves.

Backup's brothers pedigree: http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/dogs/be ... 20393.html

Mom is going for her Sch3 this winter. Dad is a pretty hard dog, Mom is a very tough dog on the field but a huge people lover off the field. Backup inherited her trait of hugging everyone. He clings with his front paws so much that we swear he's part monkey.

Odnarb

Postby Odnarb » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:35 pm

Adrianne wrote:We were careful picking our mals to avoid any unneeded human or animal aggression.

I thought I was too, as I'm sure the owner of the dogs Sarah mentioned. It's widespread across the lines.

Both of the dogs have names that I recognize when I go back a few generations. Harry is more closely related to Backup.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:02 pm

Odnarb wrote:
Adrianne wrote:We were careful picking our mals to avoid any unneeded human or animal aggression.

I thought I was too, as I'm sure the owner of the dogs Sarah mentioned. It's widespread across the lines.

OH.. I wasn't meaning anything by that, we always avoid it but the reason I said that was I know there is a propensity for it in the breed and I was a bit worried about gaining a dog I couldn't and Denis couldn't handle honestly.

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:59 pm

Its strange, I know bullies are supposed to be total human sluts-but it isn't something I see in them that often. But then again I don't deal with many APBTs from reputable breeders. The general greeting I receive from pit bulls is a "hey whats up, scratch my butt ok." They don't seem fearful of strangers (though I meet MANY fearful APBTs, who seem to only have eyes for their owner and their owner ONLY), and will gladly say hello but other then that seem fine to move along the way. Ashes will do a quick flirt with a stranger and then she's ready to move on. She has no interest in being long lost friends with someone who isn't going to stick around for awhile. If someone does hang around, she'll gladly surf their lap or give them a cuddle, but won't miss them one bit when they leave. That said, she has her human friends-whom she is incredibly devoted too. Her ability to pick a person out of a crowd is phenomenal. Sometimes we'll be waiting to pick up a friend in the car, in crowded city streets, and she will spot them before I do! I love her temperament with people-as it works perfectly for my lifestyle. She makes people feel welcome, and if they give some to her she'll gladly give it back 10 fold-but they have to prove they will stick around for a little while. She's been left one too many times.

I see this behavior in the majority of pit bulls I meet.

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:56 am

Ashes sounds like Ella was with people.

She LOVED people, and was accepting of whatever they did, for the most part, but she wasn't a total people slut. She'd give love, but was more content in just knowing they were there. If they played ball with her, then, yeah, they had a friend for life.

Ophie is similar, but she will actually go up to people and is...quieter about requesting love from people.
Luke?
Luke is the typical pit bull I hear most talk about. If anyone comes into this house, he has to be the CENTER of their world.
It's a running joke in this house because Luke will roll onto his back and put one paw right on your heart.
We call it his "Soul Sucking Device" when he does it. lol I go, "Uh oh, Luke has his Soul Sucking Device out!".
I am a firm believer that Luke would seriously suck the soul out of everyone just so he could reference it later if he felt lonely.

He showers people with kisses (ANYONE), and he is just a TOTAL people slut.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:42 am

Not all bullys are love sluts. My girls are both reasonably friendly, but not too interested in people who don't pay attention to them, and if they are interested in something else, even people who pay attention to them are not worth a lot of time. Eva, Tess' daughter, appears to be similar. Pirate is a love slut. I would consider all of that variations on correct temperament.

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:37 pm

Bailey_apbt wrote:Where i live, in Belgium. We don't have a BSL law but they find other ways to make sure that if you own a APBT even if he/she has a Pedigree you can't compeed in most of the sports here.
We have an organisation who provides Pedigrees in our country called 'St Hubertus' They are the only official organisation who can do this in Belgium but.. They decide which dogs are 'real' breeds. And they stated that they will never egnolige the APBT as an official breed :sad:
That means that you can not compeed, or even enter some sports, because almost every sport goes out from them.
For bite work they are even forbidden. . Because they don't bite they tear to pieces they say.
And than you have sports like Dogfrisbee, you can compeed in sports like this But .. Clever as they are, they say that it's not an official sport So, it can't be teached @ dog schools ext..
What they also do is not allow dogs without pedigrees like animal shelter dogs to compeed at the real high competition level. So even if you have a dog who's realy good at the sport you play with hem/her but he doesn't have a pedigree.. to bad you can't compeed you can only practice at dog schools.
And if you already had 1 dog without a pedigree inlisted in a dog school, you can not do that again your next dog has to have a pedigree.
And to add to all that.. sports like weightpull are forbidden in Belgium :po:
But i will always own APBT! It's good that i have a big back yard to turn in to an Agility/weightpull/springpole place and my sister is a dog disc intructor :peace:

Get a gaggle of awesome sporting mutts together, train real hard so they are at the top of their game-then challenge those pedigree sportin' foo foos to a duel. Could be the next sappy dog movie :twisted:

But really, that's very sad and frustrating-glad you work your dog despite the discrimination!

Return to “Dog Sports”