Showing a dog that's fixed?

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
diana247
Adolescent Bully

Showing a dog that's fixed?

Postby diana247 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:18 am

I know that many guidelines call for dogs to be intact, however I would really like to one day show my dog. She is only 7 months right now and I plan to have her fixed at the end of summer. She comes from a champion lineage and has already been told by vets how great looking she is. I would love to show her, but I also want to get her fixed. Are there any organizations out there that allow spayed dogs into competition?

Thanks!

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Re: Showing a dog that's fixed?

Postby mommy2kane » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:54 am

I believe the only way you can "show" her spayed would be "fun classes." ADBA/AADR usually have fun classess at their events, but they're not pointed or anything. Unless I'm completely missing something, I don't think there's anything else, as the purpose is the judge breeding stock.

Although, I just saw that UKC has an Altered Class now??? I'm sure someone else with more knowledge could put in their 2 cents.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:25 am

I would suggest that you look and see if there are any shows close to you and look up if there is a local APBT club that has conformation people.

They can let you know if they think she would do well in the show ring and help find you some conformation classes to get her ready.

That way you can have a good idea on whether or not you'd like to show her - after all, it can take a lot of time and money depending on how you do it - or if you'd just like to get her spayed and focus on sports and other acitvities.

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:52 am

FransterDoo wrote:I would suggest that you look and see if there are any shows close to you and look up if there is a local APBT club that has conformation people.

They can let you know if they think she would do well in the show ring and help find you some conformation classes to get her ready.

That way you can have a good idea on whether or not you'd like to show her - after all, it can take a lot of time and money depending on how you do it - or if you'd just like to get her spayed and focus on sports and other acitvities.

Great Post!

As mommy2kane said, UKC does offer altered classes that I've heard are really fun and laid back. They I believe can actually get an Altered CH out of the altered class. Do some research and defientely find a local club to try out and see what you think!

Courtney

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:33 pm

The UKC does now have Altered titles in conformation. It is optional for a club to hold the altered classes, so I'd look to see if the clubs in your area are doing that. If so, and if your dog is UKC registered, that would be an option for you.

Return to “Dog Sports”