Best performing bloodline in weight pull

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Re: Best performing bloodline in weight pull

Postby BigBadPibbul » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:05 am

If I recall correctly... One of the all time best WP dogs was a shelter bully by the name of Shameless Dog, Shamey was a tiny little female that pulled some ridiculous amount of weight, I'd have to dig up the mag and look it up to give you specifics.

I'm not aware of any specific bloodlines that are any better than any other in WP comps. I have however noticed a trend in WP dogs, that being that the smaller more compact bullies pull more weight pound for pound than the bigger more heavily muscled dogs. I'm not sure if that is entirely the case, but at the events I've been too I've seen the smaller bullies pull more X their body weight than the bigger bullies do, has anybody else seen this or am I going to some funky comps?

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:26 am

BigBadPibbul wrote:If I recall correctly... One of the all time best WP dogs was a shelter bully by the name of Shameless Dog, Shamey was a tiny little female that pulled some ridiculous amount of weight, I'd have to dig up the mag and look it up to give you specifics.

I'm not aware of any specific bloodlines that are any better than any other in WP comps. I have however noticed a trend in WP dogs, that being that the smaller more compact bullies pull more weight pound for pound than the bigger more heavily muscled dogs. I'm not sure if that is entirely the case, but at the events I've been too I've seen the smaller bullies pull more X their body weight than the bigger bullies do, has anybody else seen this or am I going to some funky comps?

it really depends on the Org. that you are competing with. Some are based on percentage, there are others that base it on the weight pulled. Each class is dived by weight, and divisions, I don't believe the IWPA is based on two division, but honestly I can't remember I haven't pulled with them in a long time. Small dogs are a trend that you see, because of the percentages. Generally speaking, it's hard to have enough weight on hand for the bigger dogs to beat the small dogs percentages. I have seen some amazing larger dogs pull, and I have seen some amazing small dogs pull.

this is a 28 pound dog, who is absolutely amazing, however it's your job as the handler to unlock that potential.
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=138752 (his video is on this thread).

XDogs
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby XDogs » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:36 pm

I guess it depends on whether you are looking for Most Weight Pulled (MWP) or Most Weight Pulled per Pound (MWPP). Larger dogs/lines will do better at MWP and smaller will do better at MWPP. The dogs that do both well, tend to be on the smaller side.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:23 pm

It sounds like he's getting frustrated.
When he pulls the tire, is he able to move it quickly? It sounds like, in his mind, weight pull is about moving quickly while yanking a weight along. Instead, weight pull should be about moving very slowly, steadily, and patiently. This is very tough for most dogs.
I would totally slow down with him. Do not work on the street. Stick to the grass, and lighten up the weight a bunch. Then, do your best to make it fun and positive.

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:37 pm

I have a CarverxSpike dog and he pulls great. I have owned heavy Carver dogs almost exclusively for 30 years. They are intense little dogs and awesome on the rails. Before you pull your dog with more than light weight he needs xrays. He may be biting the harness because it hurts him to pull.

Return to “Dog Sports”