WP harness question

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
Shanda
Addicted to PBF

WP harness question

Postby Shanda » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:07 am

What is the benefit between the weight pull harness with the padded foam yoke vs. the flatter version? Is this just preference? I'm staring at them on CD Pits site

I'm getting one for Bowie. :oops: Stop laughing.

Adrianne

Re: WP harness question

Postby Adrianne » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:19 am

roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao <3

I dunno, I have the padded version... I'm interested to hear the answer as well.

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:58 am

I have the padded version, I don't know all that much about it since it's only a hobby for me. But I think it's cute you're getting one for Bowie !

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:02 pm

the flat straps, ride up and choke the dog while it's pulling, it cause incorrect form on heavy weights, making the dog jump up, and things like that. If you are dragging just for kicks, or just for conditioning, the flat type is fine. But, if you are doing competition than Missy V. harnesses are the way to go. I think if you look in the equipment section, there is a whole discussion on it.

Shanda
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shanda » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:37 pm

ProudMommy77 wrote:the flat straps, ride up and choke the dog while it's pulling, it cause incorrect form on heavy weights, making the dog jump up, and things like that. If you are dragging just for kicks, or just for conditioning, the flat type is fine. But, if you are doing competition than Missy V. harnesses are the way to go. I think if you look in the equipment section, there is a whole discussion on it.

I found Missy's site but I'm not finding the discussion thread about styles. Is there any issue with training/conditioning in a rolled? I'd just as soon just get the most functional item. Bowie's only 8 months so for some time he'll just be getting comfy and pulling feathers but eventually it would be great fun to compete. Thanks for the info, btw :thumbsup:

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:44 pm

No, not at all. I prefer her harnesses over everyone's else. She is preferred by many serious competitors. And she can make a wee little harness up for him...she did Ellie's harnesses for her SBTs, a Italian Greyhound, and many others.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:04 pm

At this point in your pups training it really doesn't matter which style you go with, but IMO if you later want to compete in a rolled harness train in one now. By the time your pup is ready for comp you will have to get a new harness anyway as he will more than likely outgrow the one you get now. CD-pits harnesses are pretty, and BDD harnesses are functional. Both distribute weight properly, but most competetors prefer the rolled (BDD) on their shorthaired dogs.

Shanda
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shanda » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:44 pm

Mooresmajestic wrote:At this point in your pups training it really doesn't matter which style you go with, but IMO if you later want to compete in a rolled harness train in one now. By the time your pup is ready for comp you will have to get a new harness anyway as he will more than likely outgrow the one you get now. CD-pits harnesses are pretty, and BDD harnesses are functional. Both distribute weight properly, but most competetors prefer the rolled (BDD) on their shorthaired dogs.

I was thinking this too and am getting the rolled for sure. I don't think he'll outgrow it though, he is mostly done in the growth department as he's a Boston. 16# of fury, that's my Bowie! lol

Thx for all the tips everyone! :peace:

Return to “Dog Sports”