What to Get My Pits Involved In

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Re: What to Get My Pits Involved In

Postby Sarah » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:58 am

Some dogs really enjoy weight pulling. Mine do not, it's too slow for them. As for working your dog around other dogs, that is a matter of training. They can learn to behave in a highly stimulating environment. There really aren't any dog sports that don't involve other dogs being around. In most sports, the dog that is working is the only one out on the course/dock/whatever at the time, but there are still other dogs in the vicinity, waiting for their turns.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:39 pm

My girl LOVES weight pull! It's the only sport she is allowed to use brute force and be rewarded. Agility is great too. It's a high energy sport where what she is doing is way more fun than anything else around. And the dogs run solo, I just ask the gate help to make sure no dog goes in for their run until my girl is leashed.

The best advice I ever got was no matter what you do, always be the most interesting thing in the world to your dog.

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:53 am

Ever think about nose work? That is a full body workout and it is mentally fulfilling as well. Dogs run solo and you can now title in it. It is probably among the most well rounded, fun and useful sports.

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:52 pm

lilangel wrote:Ever think about nose work? That is a full body workout and it is mentally fulfilling as well. Dogs run solo and you can now title in it. It is probably among the most well rounded, fun and useful sports.

I wish that we had a nosework class here. It looks really fun for the dogs, much different than tracking. What org. can they title in it?

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:48 pm

Red Chrome wrote:
lilangel wrote:Ever think about nose work? That is a full body workout and it is mentally fulfilling as well. Dogs run solo and you can now title in it. It is probably among the most well rounded, fun and useful sports.

I wish that we had a nosework class here. It looks really fun for the dogs, much different than tracking. What org. can they title in it?

Me too! It's interesting...

FriscoGirl
BANNED

Postby FriscoGirl » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:50 pm

are they registered?

get involved in conformation shows. I'd suggest ADBA/AADR/SDR, laid back shows and people are there for a good time. No dog manners or handler experience required, just a conditioned dog. Very friendly and helpful staff and crowd, at all shows

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:31 pm

WHy don't you guys start your own club? You must have contacts through your schnitshoond club. Might be fun to get something new going.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:16 am

Dogs that are successful doing nose work can get titles through the National Association of Canine Scent Work (NACSW).Title go from NW1 (nose work 1) to NW3 and the Harry Award. Odor recognition requirements go up depending on the title the dog is competing for (one odor on NW1, 2 in NW2 etc) as well as other parameters.

sweeney1229 wrote: however, when she is around other dogs she doesnt listen. I can walk her off lead and she will do every command I say until a dog or animal catches her eye and then she goes crazy. She is not aggresive in anyway (she just completely blocks me out), but is there anything I can do with her that she wont have to be in with a group of dogs?

Weight pulling might be an option but still, the dog has to be able to focus on the task at hand, despite dogs being around. Technically dogs need to be away from the chute but some time folks are careless or someone comes to check it out and they place their barking dogs too close or just in the way. Is your dog entered in any obedience class? You might want to look into that, to work on focus under distraction before you look for a sport. If you have nose work classes around those are an option, as mentioned, since one dog is worked at a time and the rest are crated til their turn comes.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:13 am

I wonder if there is anything like this in PA..hmm...it looks interesting..how old does a dog have to be to start?

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:20 am

lilangel wrote:WHy don't you guys start your own club? You must have contacts through your schnitshoond club. Might be fun to get something new going.

I don't have time for that. Schutzhund and PP take up 90% of my time of the dog stuff, the other 10% is taken up with AKC Rally-O and OB. Not to mention we are getting a Dock Dog club up and running here. If there was a class I'd take it.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:34 am

Oh please, I have one night off a week from dog training classes and practices, I'm SURE I could start a club. hehehe

Actually I would try but I'm being pulled into starting a both a WP club and a lure course club here meanwhile we just founded a new flyball team and started the puppies in agility not to mention schutzhund and working full time.

I miss dock dogs... I wish it was cheaper... I wonder what Nose work costs?

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:42 pm

Now here comes the hard part this weekend, if I could even afford it is the same weekend as a splash dog competition... Drat!!

November 6, 2010 - Carson, NV (November 7, may also be added)
(w/Amy Herot, co-Founder & Ron Gaunt, co-Founder)
Introduction to Nose Work
Carson Dog Sports
5242 East Highway 50
Carson City, NV 89701
www.carsondogsports.com
Contact & registration: (see flyer below this list)
Chris Vaught
(775) 473-7677
Carsondogsports@yahoo.com

I wanna gooooo

Return to “Dog Sports”