Training scent article indication

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
gooeydog

Training scent article indication

Postby gooeydog » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:00 pm

What is your dog's indicator, and how did you train for it? I'd really like to track with Buster (and maybe even try again with Annie, even though she's old as dirt lol ), but I had major issues teaching Annie to indicate articles, and don't want to make the same mistakes again. Did you teach articles after your dog was tracking well, or before starting tracking, or in conjuction with beginning tracking?

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Re: Training scent article indication

Postby mommy2kane » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:32 pm

I trained articles in conjunction with the beginning steps of tracking. Kane was doing puppy boxes outside. And I introduced articles inside, completely away from the track. I'd put them down and tell Kane to "platz" (down) on them and treat treat treat. Lather, rinse, repeat. We've always had a down as our indicator. It was a good while before I even put the articles on the actual track. First, at the end. Then started introducing more.

Amie

Re: Training scent article indication

Postby Amie » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:13 am

I initially learned object id the same way (or similarly, at least) to Mommy2Kane, because we both learned Schutzhund style tracking. Oscar and I are taking a nosework class next week and it's with entirely different methods, so I'm curious to see how it goes! I'll let you know!

Return to “Dog Sports”