Flyball box-work video

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
Supernaturalist
Newborn Bully

Re: Flyball box-work video

Postby Supernaturalist » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:27 pm

Looking much better Nichole! Before I had to stop training Angus for flyball he was getting a really nice turn.

The slow motion version of that turn and the training leading up to it are in this silly video.

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:08 pm

That 2nd video is so cool! I laughed at the beginning when he was rearing back in your hands "let me go! let me go!"

Why did he have to stop flyball?

Supernaturalist
Newborn Bully

Postby Supernaturalist » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:44 pm

He's got bad hips and a bad knee. He's less than 2 years old so it was a real shock when he went lame. I'm trying whatever I can to get him pain free and active again, but he'll likely never be able to do Flyball again. He was about a month away from his first tournament too, such a shame.

Supernaturalist
Newborn Bully

Postby Supernaturalist » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:57 pm

Nichole wrote:That 2nd video is so cool! I laughed at the beginning when he was rearing back in your hands "let me go! let me go!"

Can you believe he was only 6 months old there? He's always been a whole lot of dog, even when he was a very small puppy.

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:05 pm

Supernaturalist wrote:
Nichole wrote:That 2nd video is so cool! I laughed at the beginning when he was rearing back in your hands "let me go! let me go!"

Can you believe he was only 6 months old there? He's always been a whole lot of dog, even when he was a very small puppy.

I actually do believe it because that's what Sadie was like! lol
Was he doing full jumps and boxwork at 6 months? My team made me wait till Sadie was a year before letting her do anything besides recalls and baby jumps for fear of hurting growing joints.
That really sucks about his hips and knees. How old was he when the problems popped up?

I'm actually gonna get Sadie's hips OFA checked and certified. She had her debut last month and is gonna start doing more races soon - and now she's getting into agility. If she has any underlying issues I want to know.

Supernaturalist
Newborn Bully

Postby Supernaturalist » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:55 pm

He started doing a few jumps at 10 months and started working on a well padded wallboard at 12 months. He didn't start working on a box until even later. As far as when the problems showed up, he always had an occasional funny gait that I never really paid much attention to, figured I just wasn't that familiar with the way bully breeds move. From around the time he was 16 months it just got progressively worse really fast. He's 18 months old now. If he's busy doing something he's feeling no pain, it's only after or during "boring" activities like going for a walk that he really feels the pain.

Gotta love the drive and energy in this breed though, even if it comes with a good dose of absolute crazy.

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:20 pm

Man that stinks. What a bummer to have such drive in a body that can't support it. Would swimming be an activity he could do?

Supernaturalist
Newborn Bully

Postby Supernaturalist » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:56 pm

Yeah, he can swim, I take him to the beach a few times a week and he enjoys that. The orthopedist actually recommended weight pull for him. Muscle surrounding joints support them and can keep them in place. Weight pull is also a no-impact sport, it's the jarring from hard impacts that causes most of the pain for him. Of course, it's the running around and being crazy that he loves the most about Flyball so teaching him to take it easy and go slow while pulling will take a lot of time.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:46 pm

dragging weight is a great way to keep a dog conditioned, and tired. :thumbsup:

ellie@ny
Matured Bully

Postby ellie@ny » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:51 pm

Supernaturalist wrote:He's got bad hips and a bad knee. He's less than 2 years old so it was a real shock when he went lame. I'm trying whatever I can to get him pain free and active again, but he'll likely never be able to do Flyball again. He was about a month away from his first tournament too, such a shame.

That is such a shame...So sorry to hear that.
Have you tough about dock diving maybe?If he likes the water that shouldn't be too hard on the body?

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:59 pm

ellie@ny wrote:
Supernaturalist wrote:He's got bad hips and a bad knee. He's less than 2 years old so it was a real shock when he went lame. I'm trying whatever I can to get him pain free and active again, but he'll likely never be able to do Flyball again. He was about a month away from his first tournament too, such a shame.

That is such a shame...So sorry to hear that.
Have you tough about dock diving maybe?If he likes the water that shouldn't be too hard on the body?

My vet excitedly approved Shamoo for dock diving when I had to pull her from flyball. I had to pull her before she even started because we found she had a very badly damaged knee.

Supernaturalist
Newborn Bully

Postby Supernaturalist » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:44 pm

Thanks, He would likely find Dock Diving pretty fun, I'm not counting him out of all activity, that's for sure. He's got a LOT of heart, it just needs to be redirected a little.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:44 pm

loved the Angus videos! what a cute staffy! gave me an idea for a spring pole for Maddie too

cashisking
Bully Ambassador

Postby cashisking » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:31 am

Maaan, i wish Cash wasn't so dog-selective- watching Angus train was awesome, and makes me wanna try my hand at flyball! He's just so snarfy with big, fluffy dogs.

Maybe when he moves on, I can get a little insane staffy. For now, Cash and I will have to settle for Dock Jumping.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:37 am

Arnold started as dog selective, we trained him, ran him against dogs we trusted and he can now run singles against strange dogs. He'll never be a wild and crazy team dog, it's just not safe, but he still has fun on quiet teams and running pairs and singles!

Return to “Dog Sports”