Heads Up UKC weight pullers...

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
Red
Addicted to PBF

Re: Heads Up UKC weight pullers...

Postby Red » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:46 pm

I think I gave you the info before.It is the folks in Loomis, Silver State APBT Club.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:50 pm

It's not ringing any bells, but I could've accidently deleted the PM or something. But I don't recall it.
Do they allow mixed breeds? I'm not allowed to do weight pulling with Alice, the shelter I'm fostering her through doesn't support it. So it would be Dakota.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:10 am

Celesteandthebullies wrote:It's not ringing any bells, but I could've accidently deleted the PM or something. But I don't recall it.
Do they allow mixed breeds? I'm not allowed to do weight pulling with Alice, the shelter I'm fostering her through doesn't support it. So it would be Dakota.

I am sure I posted it on a WP thread for you before.All UKC clubs allow mixed dogs to be entered in official pulls, if the dog has an UKC LP (limited privilege) .Dog can either be register as AMB (mixed) or under a breed (dog must be spayed or neutered for an LP).Dakota has it, right?If so, he can officially enter a UKC pull and collecting points accordingly. I can let you know when their next pull is, once it is official, if you'd like.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:20 am

I'll search through my posts and try to find it, and yes Dakota has his LP.
Thanks, and I'd appreciate a notice on future events. :thumbsup:

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:39 pm

Thanks for the reply. APA is what I had in mind when I said "not fond of what is out there".Lots of not so good things seem to happen at their pulls and not the kind I could be involved with. Given the folks here that are pulling with them or have dogs from people involved with the org, I would not be getting a honest answer so I just should have not asked.

Jeez Red. I'm an APA judge, an APA puller, and my new pup is from people involved w/the org. Thanks.

My experience w/APA has been very positive. 5 years ago, when I was starting to pull Soleil in UKC, an APA puller/organizer/board member offered to help me out, as he could see I was starting her out poorly, due to ignorance on my part. Thanks to countless hours of guidance, Soleil was able to reach her potential as a weight pull dog, though she was never as good as some. APA people are often very competitive, but I see that in other venues, not limited to weight pull, in which people dedicate considerable time, effort, and often money to train their dogs to excel.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:24 pm

Leslie H wrote:
Thanks for the reply. APA is what I had in mind when I said "not fond of what is out there".Lots of not so good things seem to happen at their pulls and not the kind I could be involved with. Given the folks here that are pulling with them or have dogs from people involved with the org, I would not be getting a honest answer so I just should have not asked.

Jeez Red. I'm an APA judge, an APA puller, and my new pup is from people involved w/the org. Thanks.

Does not change my opinion in the least, and I'd like to say more but of course my post would be deleted.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:40 pm

Those of you who pulls UKC..will you continue to support it and hope for it to go back to what it was at some point, or not?
Buying a title is not be worthy and, at the same time, if clubs and individuals are quitting the program might just disappear.Thoughts?

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:32 am

Since I have had some time to cool down about the changes I can post my opinion.

I will NOT be doing any UKC pulls with my dogs. How can I justify spending $200+ a weekend for my girl to "walk" down the track once maybe twice? The max weight limits are close to where I start my dog, and having to withdraw before it even becomes challenging to my dog is IMO detrimental to my dogs working psyche. She will learn that she doesn't have to work or even try in a competition. I feel like the new rules are a big slap in the face to those of us that put huge amounts of time, effort and money into the sport. I worked at almost every pull I went to in 2010, event secretaried for events, slung blocks, clean up, and so on. I was even planning on going for my judges license this year. Now I hate to say it, but I won't ever be back to a UKC pull. The way they treated good people and good clubs with good equipment is way out of line. The entire set up feels to me like they are saying "you can't play in our sandbox anymore because Timmy complained that your castle is better than his". They can keep their placements and MWP/MWPP awards, the dog doesn't care that they got a 50 cent ribbon, but the dog does know when they gave it their all and made it down the track one last time when it was hard. The saddest thing is knowing that my proudest moment so far in my dogs weight pull career will never happen again (in UKC). It was when Vi was one of the 3 dogs going for the new snow MWP record. She didn't break it but that moment, watching our dogs give it their all and the three of us cheering each other on, that will be one of the proudest memories I have.
*drops the mic*

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:17 am

Mooresmajestic wrote: How can I justify spending $200+ a weekend for my girl to "walk" down the track once maybe twice?

Hard to justify it. It was costly for me as as it was, when I pulled 3 or 4 dogs in a weekend.Entry fees are only one part of the costs involved in competing unless something goes on a few miles away from home. I was talking to someone who said they will continue because the titles go on their dogs' pedigree (they breed) but I own only rescues. I pulled them because it was something we could do together, and it helped to encourage people to look into rescues for sports but now I don't think I could afford it with the time it takes to get a title past the UWPCH.To Grand my male it would take forever and lots of money.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:02 am

With the little dabbling in pulling I've done, the rule change wouldn't have a major effect on me. My dogs have rarely pulled past a 20 pt pull anyway. I don't think Tess has ever even got 20 points, though she did get a MWPP once (with a 15 point pull) However, I don't see how the sport could survive that, people do like to win something, and people with more serious pulling dogs (and maybe easier tracks) aren't going to want to pull when it's so easy for them. I don't really understand why the UKC didn't just eliminate the WP program if that was what they wanted to do, instead of faking people out this way.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:47 pm

Well, I consider my involvement w/UKC at an end. I'm tired of compromised competitions, wading through pages and pages of trivial rules and endless mind games. I've been disturbed by the changes that have been made recently, w/seemingly little concern to those effected. That's not limited to the last several years of weight pull changes, it includes changes to the American Bulldog standard that focus on cosmetics and get away from performance, and the closing of APBT single registration. Scheme is only ADBA registered, so my dog sport plans are unchanged. I only feel bad about letting down friends and club members.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:17 am

Leslie H wrote:Well, I consider my involvement w/UKC at an end. I'm tired of compromised competitions, wading through pages and pages of trivial rules and endless mind games. I've been disturbed by the changes that have been made recently, w/seemingly little concern to those effected. That's not limited to the last several years of weight pull changes, it includes changes to the American Bulldog standard that focus on cosmetics and get away from performance, and the closing of APBT single registration. Scheme is only ADBA registered, so my dog sport plans are unchanged. I only feel bad about letting down friends and club members.

I don't know if I'll do any more UKC or not. I agree that they've made a lot of changes that I didn't think were better. Starting with changes to the obedience regulations several years ago that I didn't like. Then when they changed breed standards a few years ago, I don't like the wording they wound up with for the SBT standard. It wasn't hugely off, but still not quite in line with any other SBT standard. (and the illustration they use really sucks). I also didn't like it when they added the rally requirement for Superdog, which I thought was totally unreasonable given that "Superdog" wasn't even their idea, and they wouldn't make it an official title. Pirate is not UKC registered, and I don't know that I ever will.

ellie@ny
Matured Bully

Postby ellie@ny » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:15 pm

Leslie H wrote:Well, I consider my involvement w/UKC at an end. I'm tired of compromised competitions, wading through pages and pages of trivial rules and endless mind games. I've been disturbed by the changes that have been made recently, w/seemingly little concern to those effected. That's not limited to the last several years of weight pull changes, it includes changes to the American Bulldog standard that focus on cosmetics and get away from performance, and the closing of APBT single registration. Scheme is only ADBA registered, so my dog sport plans are unchanged. I only feel bad about letting down friends and club members.

I can totally understand Leslie, and it's really sad when people like you leave....
I'm done as well, what's the point really to go to a pull with a GR1 dog, that can't achieve any more titles, and will give me a dirty look if I only take him in for 1 round..lol
And Mimi...well I was hoping I could take her to a couple ukc pulls, beofre the changes, but I'm not gonna set her up for failure...She would be out before she would even work hard, and that's just teaching her to give up early..
NO THANK YOU UKC.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:14 pm

We've worked hard for our UWPCH with Terra and are now at 95 pts of 100. So I anticipate finding one more UKC pull so we can get those last 5 points. I wouldn't be against continuing to pull for fun. But our UKC pulls used to be a minimum of 6 hours away, and now both TX clubs are done with UKC WP, so who knows how far they will be now. I'm not going to drive to CA or MI or somewhere crazy for UKC WP. We're done. I guess we're doing ADBA now.

ETA: Leslie. I have debated about APA many times. My first experience with them was not pleasant, and their message boards back up my impression of an overly-competitive trash-talking environment that is not welcoming to newbies. Now albeit, my experience was probably partly regional, and admittedly, I've seen those same bad apples pull UKC, ADBA, and so on. I will probably end up doing APA at some point, but the overall image of the org is not inviting to me. I'm in a position right now where I'm so ungodly far from everything that I will end up waiting for those big shows that have 2-3 different sports. So as it stands, I'm not traveling to any standalone weight pulls. Maybe if I was a really competitive puller, but I'm not.

Return to “Dog Sports”