Heads Up UKC weight pullers...

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Heads Up UKC weight pullers...

Postby ProudMommy77 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:28 pm

a bunch of silly changes...one step closer to closing the program down.

http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/News ... 11042949PM

Red
Addicted to PBF

Re: Heads Up UKC weight pullers...

Postby Red » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:30 pm

Rail System: a dog is allowed to pull a maximum of 45 times the dog’s body weight.

Oh wow, my Tigger (47 lbs), was just coming in at 2800lbs on rails and by that new rule she could have not pulled past 2115lbs.
Down here there aren't that many pulls and the extra points over a weekend were nice to get, but since the Most Weight Pulled and Most Weight Pulled per Body Pound award is also gone it is going to take much longer to get titles. 1000 extra points to Grand 1 ....holy chocolate . Lots of money in entries there.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:39 pm

This is no longer even a competition, and it is hard to give UKC money after what it came down to?.This was a good outlet and sport for dogs of this breed and it sucks.Some of us might have to get together down here and talk about another pulling org. affiliation. Not fond of what's out there though.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:53 pm

I agree Val. It's just silly. The IWPA isn't a horrible org. to pull with, or at least out here on the east coast it isn't. Could that be a option for you guys?

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:57 pm

ProudMommy77 wrote:I agree Val. It's just silly. The IWPA isn't a horrible org. to pull with, or at least out here on the east coast it isn't. Could that be a option for you guys?

I am going to throw it out there, to the club members, and see what everyone think.Karyn is about done with UKC WP. Why don't we just send them the entries money and they send us a title? I mean, is that what it is going to be about, just pulling silly weights over and over again?

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:01 pm

they took the competition away, and any hopes of people wanting to be competitive away. I can send you the IWPA website link, if you want to review it, it's a little different as far as rules go. People will be paying in excess of two thousand dollars for a title in the UKC...sigh.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:26 pm

Of course they took the competition away, it was a problem, due to the butt holes who have nothing else to do but to have fits over placements and a bunch of other stuff. UKC might be trying to push clubs to just quit the pulls and be done with their involvement with WP.

I am familiar with the IWPA rules , I just never pulled under them because there are no clubs here. Honestly I don't have the time to struggle finding volunteers to form a club and commit to it, nor the money to buy off all the equipment (where do I even put it, living in a military base?) , apply to be a judge (could not pull my own dogs), and all that goes with it.

Opinions on APA?

DarkMoon
Super Bully

Postby DarkMoon » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:22 pm

Red wrote:Opinions on APA?

I know there are some APA pulls up here and I've heard nothing but good things about them. I know that's what most of us weight pullers are turning to up here in Michigan. It was nice having the UKC doing WPs because there was one to two a month up here, with in a 2 hour drive. APA only had 3 a year, so it was harder to get to.

UKC did no good to the program.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:40 pm

Red wrote:Opinions on APA?

there are some good pulling dogs with that org. But, drama is everywhere. ;)

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:40 pm

I know there are some APA pulls up here and I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Thanks for the reply. APA is what I had in mind when I said "not fond of what is out there".Lots of not so good things seem to happen at their pulls and not the kind I could be involved with. Given the folks here that are pulling with them or have dogs from people involved with the org, I would not be getting a honest answer so I just should have not asked.

Back to UKC screwing it up for all of us...

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:47 pm

I would just talk to your other club members, and see if they would be interested in hooking up with the IWPA, it's worth a shot. I know there are hopes the UKC will come around, and change things. But, to me it seems like it's just a grim outlook.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:15 pm

Sigh....

I was hoping to get into some events this year too. -_- I'll have to see if any decent groups are having events in Nor Cal

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:19 pm

Celesteandthebullies wrote:Sigh....

I was hoping to get into some events this year too. -_- I'll have to see if any decent groups are having events in Nor Cal

I know who does, they pull with us sometime, although I have to e-mail them and see what they decide to do. They, just like us, could not schedule anything till we knew what UKC was going to do.It is a ride for you, but not as much as coming down here, but then again that has always been the deal as far as pulls in CA.

ellie@ny
Matured Bully

Postby ellie@ny » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:23 pm

ProudMommy77 wrote: I know there are hopes the UKC will come around, and change things. But, to me it seems like it's just a grim outlook.

Don't hold you breath on that Jen!!! lol
It took them months to make these changes, there is NO WAY they will be changing anything anytime soon.
What they had done with the sport is totally out of line, it's like they're mocking WP as a sport... :wow
I'm not supporting an org.,where I can't see my dog getting better,but doing the same thing over and over.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:32 pm

Red wrote:
Celesteandthebullies wrote:Sigh....

I know who does, they pull with us sometime, although I have to e-mail them and see what they decide to do. They, just like us, could not schedule anything till we knew what UKC was going to do.It is a ride for you, but not as much as coming down here, but then again that has always been the deal as far as pulls in CA.

That would be lovely, a ride is better than no pulling at all. I was told of a group up here, but they only allow registered APBTs so that was out of the question, I didn't look further into it.

Return to “Dog Sports”